Exhaust cams not moving

Keo_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT Premium Ignot Silver
Lund is saying my exhaust cams aren’t moving to their commanded position. Any idea what could be the culprit? No CEL or codes pulling up on my Ngauge.
Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Just a hunch, try reloading the tune. It seems unlikely that both exhaust cam phasers failed at the same time.

OP
OP
Keo_S550

Keo_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Just a hunch, try reloading the tune. It seems unlikely that both exhaust cam phasers failed at the same time.
Tried and didn’t work. It drives fine. And they said it shouldn’t hurt anything but it’s the reason why my cam tune doesn’t work. Exhaust cams won’t move when told to.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
That had to be frustrating. If you can run the factory tune, try it and see if the phasers work. If you can't because of changed injectors or mass air sensor, then it's off to the shop for diagnostics. I may be missing something too. Is there an oil pressure valve that trips all the phasers like on old 3 valve motors?

OP
OP
Keo_S550

Keo_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
That had to be frustrating. If you can run the factory tune, try it and see if the phasers work. If you can't because of changed injectors or mass air sensor, then it's off to the shop for diagnostics. I may be missing something too. Is there an oil pressure valve that trips all the phasers like on old 3 valve motors?
Did some playing around with it today and managed to get a code. P0014. So narrowed it down to either 1) the solenoid on Exhaust Cam B or 2) clogged oil passage. Hopefully it’s 1 because that’s easier to fix rather than tearing the engine apart.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Keo_S550

Keo_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
If it’s not that then ride it out till I blow the motor.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
That was a gen3 revision, to go back to oil-controlled phasers on the exhaust only.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, Keith and Mike. I'm about 15 years behind on motor guts knowledge. Too long with the old 32 valve. I'm staying on this thread to see what the answer is. Please post when you figure out the problem!

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
5th or 6th Lund tuned boosted car I've seen this on now.. No clue how many others are having this problem. Cams reverting to 0*

OP
OP
Keo_S550

Keo_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
5th or 6th Lund tuned boosted car I've seen this on now.. No clue how many others are having this problem. Cams reverting to 0*
Really? I’ve been researching everywhere and haven’t found anything. Have they fixed it? Lund Jr. said it was a odd issue so I figured it wasn’t common. Phasers don’t usually break or malfunction so I ruled that out. Has to be the solenoid and it’s only on the passenger side. Can’t be the oil viscosity because I changed the oil a week ago. If a new solenoid doesn’t fix it then I’m stumped.

Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
That's some bad stuff. The human tuner can only enter some numbers at discrete data points in the tune tables. If they have problems with their interpolator (the program tool that fills in all the in between values) who knows what other parameters are messed up. Already noticed on this forum some problems with throttle control. The OEMs spent big, big $ getting this stuff right. The tuners need to think long and hard before messing with some of these parameters.

Then again, if it gets too bad I can always get a 65 Cobra kit car with a 460, carburetor and mechanical distributor. You younger guys are on your own...lol.

RoushSTG2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sterling
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Mustang Stage 2
Ever get this figured out I’m having the same issue with a different tuning company.

OP
OP
Keo_S550

Keo_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Ever get this figured out I’m having the same issue with a different tuning company.
Yeah the exhaust cam phaser was not operating like the others. Replaced the phaser and everything was fine after that.

RoushSTG2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sterling
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Mustang Stage 2
Awesome thank you for the quick response!
Sponsored