Ever have a moment of weakness?

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
So my situation might be different than most but basically…. Incurable blood cancer … had for 6 years… based on average life expectancy about 9 years left…

finances are set up so less my car and private school for daugh… wife can survive on her income without me and keep the house…

so I don’t track my car… my youngest daughter and all my friends are into cars and I use my car for the life experience and memories with my daughter and friends…

Seeing threads where people are waiting 6 months for an engine replacement or warranty not covering motors …

not sure but given my potentially limited time left… the idea of waiting 6 months to have my motor replaced kind of doesn’t make me comfortable… and the idea of having to go into future money for the wife and kids to drop 30k on a motor replacement really does not make me happy

That being said
My car is a 19
Doesn’t burn oil
And I love driving it and my daughter loves riding in it
And have esp to 2027

but last weekend drove a c8 with my daughter and well it was nice but we like the R better …

do I need to stop worrying and just drive my car and stay off the forums for a while? lol

Yes I know about the dct on the c8 but seems those are taking a month or so to fix

sorry for the silly thread but I’m not as mentally as I should be everyday…
1000003129.jpeg
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Can't help with the wait times but as long as you don't run the car on a track your ESP will cover any breakage. Don't modify it either, no roll bars no "racing tires" I would include the Cup2's it came with as racing tires, so put something else on when they wear out if they have not already.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
My vote is generally do whatever brings the most joy as long as its not completely stupid/dangerous/ or financially devastating haha.

I suspect the engine shortage is a byproduct of the strikes maybe, and nothing has completely recovered from covid really either, but I'm optimistic that those wait times will decrease... but given your NO track use and esp warranty, i wouldn't be concerned about the financial risk.

My car's engine was ordered 11/8 and just arrived today at the dealer. so 2 months rough wait for parts, and unknown yet how long for install. not sure where the 6 month timeline came from.

OP
OP

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
Can't help with the wait times but as long as you don't run the car on a track your ESP will cover any breakage. Don't modify it either, no roll bars no "racing tires" I would include the Cup2's it came with as racing tires, so put something else on when they wear out if they have not already.
yes …. Car is 100% stock but yes on cup 2s good point on the cup 2s.

OP
OP

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
My vote is generally do whatever brings the most joy as long as its not completely stupid/dangerous/ or financially devastating haha.

I suspect the engine shortage is a byproduct of the strikes maybe, and nothing has completely recovered from covid really either, but I'm optimistic that those wait times will decrease... but given your NO track use and esp warranty, i wouldn't be concerned about the financial risk.

My car's engine was ordered 11/8 and just arrived today at the dealer. so 2 months rough wait for parts, and unknown yet how long for install. not sure where the 6 month timeline came from.
there was another guy on your thread saying he had been waiting since October with no ETA so I probably let my imagination get away with me… hard in my situation to not let that happen sometimes lol

but thank you for sharing and that definitely makes me feel better!

Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Drive the car, and stop worrying that something will happen to the engine. The 2019's have a very good record. And if you're not tracking it, or abusing it, you shouldn't have engine problems.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
there was another guy on your thread saying he had been waiting since October with no ETA so I probably let my imagination get away with me… hard in my situation to not let that happen sometimes lol

but thank you for sharing and that definitely makes me feel better!
I had no eta till today lol, it just showed up and service mgr sent me a photo of it. They didn't know it was coming either so it's a weird situation all around

and my car was there sometime in october, but backlog and diagnosis before ordering took some time too.

mikedahammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I wouldn't worry about the car until you have to. When and if the car dies you deal with it then and whatever hassle there may be (if any) at that time in your life. That is how I have always looked it. Trust your gut, it will tell when it is time to move on. This is coming from an owner who had multiple issues.

Also, if the motor does go and you don't want to waste time not enjoying driving because of the part delay you can always buy something else in the interim while the car is being repaired and then sell the mustang when it is repaired. At that point you are just borrowing from yourself. Don't ask me how I know.

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
Your car doesn't burn oil, and you haven't mentioned any other signs that it might need a new engine.

I know GT350 owners have had some vastly different experiences.
Some had short-lived engines, but when they're good they're good.
My impression so far is that yours is good.

If it's suddenly not good one day... Well, the GT350R is special for things besides the engine. The body and aero, and the suspension are a big deal in my eyes. If your Voodoo goes bad and there's a long wait or high cost for a replacement, do you really have to have a Voodoo, or would you still love your car with a Coyote in it?

OP
OP

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't worry about the car until you have to. When and if the car dies you deal with it then and whatever hassle there may be (if any) at that time in your life. That is how I have always looked it. Trust your gut, it will tell when it is time to move on. This is coming from an owner who had multiple issues.

Also, if the motor does go and you don't want to waste time not enjoying driving because of the part delay you can always buy something else in the interim while the car is being repaired and then sell the mustang when it is repaired. At that point you are just borrowing from yourself. Don't ask me how I know.
I like your thinking! lol

Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec

Yeah Mike‘s square on the money here man. You’ve done a good job providing for your family. Believe it or not you’re doing them a favor by letting them see you experience joy by relieving them of any later guilt.

As far as life expectancy I well understand what you’re saying. I’m coming up on 75 and have a litany of serious maladies that are in a footrace to see which one gets to do the honors. The only solution is to live each day to the fullest. It’s the biggest gift you can give yourself and your family.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Not to spam you but here’s one more thought.

Is there such a thing as a rebuildable Voodoo short block out there somewhere? It would be cheaper to build one now and set it aside for a rainy day than to have to hurry to build yours if it launched. And if it were never needed it would be a premium quickly salable asset. Money in the bank so to speak.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Brent, how many miles on the car?

I have a 2019 with an "R" engine that has 49,000+ miles with ZERO issues.

Honor Carroll Shelby and drive it.

I love the photo of the young car enthusiast in front of the Red Bull F1 car... great shot!
Pre-Halo, so the photo is 2017 or older?
Sponsored

Last edited: