Sponsored

ESS G2 Supercharger

Ant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F150 STX Sport Crew Cab 4x4
I just finished up my G2 install. Went with the G3 intercooler and 120mm pulley. For NGK 6510 plugs, 2020 GT500 injectors and BAP from Lethal Performance it was all around $800.
I installed the kit myself as I’m an automotive technician for a living. The kit, injectors, pulling the intake manifold to install IMRC lockouts, installing the BAP all took about 6 hours. Any person with basic hand tools and a little knowledge can do this install.
For tuning I went with @Wengerd Performance before buying a device and tune I shot him a email with questions and he quickly answered me back. If anyone was dragging ass through this process it was me. He was always quick to respond with data logging. I was the one slowing everything down. If I was as quick as he was I know the car would have been tuned and ready to go in just one day.
Sponsored

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
Good info. So with install, I'm still under seven grand, it sounds like.

How highly regarded are ESS blowers compared to the Whipples and VMPs that a lot of Mustang owners are willing to drop serious coin on? And is it better than the Roush units that we're told to avoid like the plague?
If you're comparing the ESS to Whipple, they're likely to give you a fairly different driving experience.

The Whipple and VMP are positive-displacement superchargers that start giving you power at low RPM. A stock Coyote wants a lot of RPM before it makes full power, and these superchargers make the engine more responsive at low RPM, and then go on to make whatever silly amount of power as you wind out the engine.
For them to have an intercooler, it sits on top of the intake manifold and is cooled by water lines going to the front of the car, where there's a little radiator just for your intercooler.

The ESS is a centrifugal supercharger which mostly makes power at high RPM.
From low RPM, your engine would hardly gain any power at all.

If you just want to show off a dynamometer graph and brag about the peak power, the ESS should be fine.

It has the advantages of making less heat in the first place, and cools the compressed air in a conventional air-to-air intercooler. Since it doesn't have the water lines or the pump, that's a big part of why installation is simpler than those other superchargers. Without those components, it's also likely to be lighter.

I'm guessing here, but the centrifugal supercharger might not impact your gas mileage or shorten the life of drivetrain components like the Whipple or VMP.

Last edited:

Blu_stallion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1, 2018 F150 FX4
Vehicle Showcase
So, to give you a little more food for thought, you are speaking about centrifugal superchargers in the same breath as roots and twin screw. They are vastly different in the way they build boost. That being said, here's a little video of my first meeting with a brand new ZL1...pay attention, he's not in it long. ;)

Beating up on new ZL1's as you rock out to Sound Garden, love it Haha

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You don't need a BAP on a Gen3 if you only want to make 600 HP on 93 pump gas.
Sponsored