Engine light, running a little rough, rotten egg smell

Kona2day

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have 2017 GT with PP, I purchased it used from a Ford dealer with 6800 miles on it. It was running fine until about 3-4 months ago. I live up a hill and every so often as I was going up the hill, I would smell the "rotten egg" smell. The car ran fine, but would get the smell. Once I got to the top of the hill and drove a litte, the smell would go away. I took it to the dealer during this time and he said to bring it in sometime when they are not busy and see if one of the mechanics would go with me. I never had the time and when I did, they were busy. This afternoon I was driving and every once in a while either while I was sitting at a stop or just cruising (low RPM) I could feel it was either misfiring or running a little rough. At some point I looked down and noticed the "check engine" light had come on. My car now has 11,800 miles on it and I will be taking it to the dealer in the morning. I will give an update once I get back from the dealer and find out the prognosis.
I was just wondering if any one else has had issues with their Mustangs within the first year or so like this. I know the "rotten egg" smell is usually there for the first thousand miles or so, but after 8,000 - 9,000 miles, this smell should have gone away by now. Has anyone ever had a catalytic converter go out at 10,000 miles?
Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I have 2017 GT with PP, I purchased it used from a Ford dealer with 6800 miles on it. It was running fine until about 3-4 months ago. I live up a hill and every so often as I was going up the hill, I would smell the "rotten egg" smell. The car ran fine, but would get the smell. Once I got to the top of the hill and drove a litte, the smell would go away. I took it to the dealer during this time and he said to bring it in sometime when they are not busy and see if one of the mechanics would go with me. I never had the time and when I did, they were busy. This afternoon I was driving and every once in a while either while I was sitting at a stop or just cruising (low RPM) I could feel it was either misfiring or running a little rough. At some point I looked down and noticed the "check engine" light had come on. My car now has 11,800 miles on it and I will be taking it to the dealer in the morning. I will give an update once I get back from the dealer and find out the prognosis.
I was just wondering if any one else has had issues with their Mustangs within the first year or so like this. I know the "rotten egg" smell is usually there for the first thousand miles or so, but after 8,000 - 9,000 miles, this smell should have gone away by now. Has anyone ever had a catalytic converter go out at 10,000 miles?
In the olden days that meant it was running rich or a cat converter problem. It’s not the end of the world but usually an older car problem. Check it out as what do I know, but this is nowhere near a concern as hearing a tick or something like that.

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Rotten egg smell usually means the catalytic converter is failing... Take it to the dealer.
My car had 37km when I bought it and never had the rotten egg smell when it was new.

RacinJason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang base GT w/PP
To me it sounds like the clutch is slipping, and that would cause the smell. I'm not sure about the misses or CEL. Dealer could read the codes and give you more details there.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
The egg smell is the Cat. What is causing the cat to clog could be the cat itself or something else. Take her in.

RacinJason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang base GT w/PP
The egg smell is the Cat. What is causing the cat to clog could be the cat itself or something else. Take her in.
If the smell is not constant, then it may not be the cats... You tried these manuals and smelled the clutch yet? Reason I say clutch can cause the egg smell is because the first time i backed mine up on ramps with no help, I was hesitant of overshooting and rode the clutch. I could smell it. OP says hills and occasional smell, so... Clutch. Cats don't fail that fast if not FI.
Sponsored