Engine fuel system issue

Benjamin Hundred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT230 Convertible
Hey guys, I have a 2018 Ecoboost and for the last month or two whenever I'd fill it up it would have slight rpm dips after filling up and then stop after a minute or so. I thought maybe it was being filled too much so I started under filling to 3/4 tank, didn't help. Also I run only Shell V-Power 91, tried Chevron and it didn't change anything.

Yesterday I got a check engine light and received the messages on my phone from Ford Pass right after (attached photos). Then later that night after filling up (slightly under filled) the car struggled to start and when it did the rpms went all over from 400-1,200rpms and the entire car shook bad, it smoothed out after a minute or so.

Screenshot_20210129-125403_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20210129-125519_Instagram.jpg

I have 69K miles and am still covered under an extended warranty, though Ford doesn't cover a courtesy car or even a shuttle from the dealer. I Live in LA and was going to keep working here and then go to Sacramento on Monday where I got the car to have it fixed, and can borrow another car from family to work (I work for myself and can work anywhere, but need a car at all times for work). My concern though is how serious is this issue? I don't want anything bad to happen, I use my car everyday and travel around 200-250 miles a day.

I know it can't be a maintenance problem, I've done every service to it you can possibly think of, new spark plugs, transmission fluid swap, fresh differential fluid, Amsoil SS every 8K, etc. It otherwise runs great
Sponsored

GritzNGravy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Something easy and simple to try would be a evap purge valve. The purge valve opens when the computer wants the engine to burn the evap fumes from the charcoal canister. When you gas up the tank has to vent fumes as its fills so it vents them through the charcoal canister for emissions. If the purge valve is stuck open it will just suck all the fumes from the charcoal canister when its not supposed too, causing a very rich condition. I don't know where its located on the ecoboost, but on the gt's its right by the throttle body.

OP
OP
Benjamin Hundred

Benjamin Hundred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT230 Convertible
Thanks for the reply, I took it to Ford today, was able to get the work covered under warranty, was the Evap purge valve and fuel psi sensor. They're being replaced and I'm getting the car back in the morning
Sponsored