Sponsored

Engine/Car sounds odd during shutoff (video)

raylay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
v6
Hi All -

I recently changed my oil and filter, and washed my aFe dropin filter with 2 days time to dry - things I've done plenty of times before. I rechecked my work and am unable to figure out why my engine/car sounds different when I turn the engine off.

The car starts up normally, seems to run normally, check engine light stays off. However when I shutoff the car, there is a shake and pressure release sound that happens (2 videos of this below). Not sure if its just in my head, car seems to be a bit down on power under normal driving.

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/613954748

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/613957856

Any clues on what I should look for/what this could be? AC was not on and the car has only 55k miles.

Much appreciated in advance.
Sponsored

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
Periodically I can hear a cylinder decompress when turned off I think it is normal. I assume that’s why a lot of OEMs have a carbon filter incorporated in the air boxes to capture the hydrocarbons. The VVT valve train may have something to do with that requirement .

You could take a look at the brake booster as most are designed to hold a vacuum with the engine off.

Maybe there’s a defect there if its an event every time you turn the engine off and the chamber rapidly fills with air.

just a few guesses

OP
OP

raylay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
v6
Interestingly enough, I have never hear this car make this noise before, and I drove it for 55k miles, with plenty of 'radio free' miles and engine turnoffs.

Regarding the brake booster, is there anything in particular you recommend looking at?

Thanks for your reply.

Basspro302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Thats normal, decompression of a cylinder or kick back. One cylinder was on compression when the engine slowed and the engine reversed for a second. You can duplicate by rotating the crank by hand.
Sponsored