Engine blew up

hipporo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Koji
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 RubyRed
My engine (Ecoboost 2015) blew up last week. It happened when I was driving out from the grocery store's parking lot. It was about 30,300 miles on it. My car had unleashed tune, K&N CAI, Mishimoto IC with pipes, UPR oil catch can, and spark plugs from Tune+. I don’t know what year the engine was built.

I went to the dealership and they told me that the estimated price for the engine installed is about $6,500. Of course, the warranty does not cover, and I am completely fine with it because I knew the risk.

I was planning on installing a new OEM engine and putting everything back to stock (except CAI because they told me CAI does not void warranty), but now I wonder if installing a built engine works better with less worries in the future by paying $2-3k more. I’m not familiar with anything about upgraded engine. I have talked with a few people via private message regarding this matter, but I’m interested in what other people in this forum think about it.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!
Koji
Sponsored

JungleG1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
With that price, I said buy a new build engine from Tune+. You can also get a use ecoboost engine on Ebay for 2000-2500.

paullyd210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
A ticking time bomb ;)
well what kind of warranty do you get if the dealership does the purchase and install?

OP
OP
hipporo

hipporo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Koji
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 RubyRed
With that price, I said buy a new build engine from Tune+. You can also get a use ecoboost engine on Ebay for 2000-2500.
I forgot to mention in the original post, but my car is for daily drive. I talked with Adam and he said if I don't do racing, installing a stock engine may be my best bet.

well what kind of warranty do you get if the dealership does the purchase and install?
I was told that I will get back to original 60K-miles/5-year powertrain warranty. So I will get 30k-miles/about 3-year powertrain warranty after the installation by the dealership.

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt, 2004 Cobra, 1968 Fastback
My engine (Ecoboost 2015) blew up last week. It happened when I was driving out from the grocery store's parking lot. It was about 30,300 miles on it. My car had unleashed tune, K&N CAI, Mishimoto IC with pipes, UPR oil catch can, and spark plugs from Tune+. I don’t know what year the engine was built.

I went to the dealership and they told me that the estimated price for the engine installed is about $6,500. Of course, the warranty does not cover, and I am completely fine with it because I knew the risk.

I was planning on installing a new OEM engine and putting everything back to stock (except CAI because they told me CAI does not void warranty), but now I wonder if installing a built engine works better with less worries in the future by paying $2-3k more. I’m not familiar with anything about upgraded engine. I have talked with a few people via private message regarding this matter, but I’m interested in what other people in this forum think about it.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!
Koji
I"m really sorry to hear that man that's a huge bummer. Do you have the car in your possession? Curious if it is Spanish or american built motor. What exactly happened to it?

Sponsored

paullyd210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
A ticking time bomb ;)
I forgot to mention in the original post, but my car is for daily drive. I talked with Adam and he said if I don't do racing, installing a stock engine may be my best bet.

I was told that I will get back to original 60K-miles/5-year powertrain warranty. So I will get 30k-miles/about 3-year powertrain warranty after the installation by the dealership.
If you 100% plan on keeping it stock and not modifying I would just buy from Ford. If you were to continue modding etc. I'd go built, which is what i plan on doing if this were to happen to me just my personal take on it though. You can always buy used as discussed above but you lose that warranty. That peace of mind may be well worth it to you given the circumstance best of luck man.

OP
OP
hipporo

hipporo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Koji
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 RubyRed
I"m really sorry to hear that man that's a huge bummer. Do you have the car in your possession? Curious if it is Spanish or american built motor. What exactly happened to it?
Thanks, Phil. I will check the motor today after work, but I guess it is Spanish one since I bought my car in May 2015. Yes, my car is still in my garage.
This is what happened. I stopped by the stop sign in the parking lot, and I just started driving as normal (no hard acceleration), and then I heard some kind of “pop” sound on the bottom of the car. I thought I hit something. Then engine stopped and saw all the warning lights. I was able to pulled over safely and saw oil was leaking out… The car was towed to the shop nearby, and the owner of the shop looked at it and found a hole on the side of the engine (nearby turbo). He suggested me to take my car to the dealership for repair. When the new tow track came in, the driver asked me if I can "drive" a little bit to relocate for the towing. I said I will try but engine blew. Then, I was able to drive my car a little bit (10-20 feet), and everyone was surprised. After towing my car to my house I was able to “drive” my car to the garage as well. My car is stick shift BTW. No one actually checked closely what happened to the engine yet, but there is a hole for sure.
I will keep you posted.

OP
OP
hipporo

hipporo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Koji
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 RubyRed
If you 100% plan on keeping it stock and not modifying I would just buy from Ford. If you were to continue modding etc. I'd go built, which is what i plan on doing if this were to happen to me just my personal take on it though. You can always buy used as discussed above but you lose that warranty. That peace of mind may be well worth it to you given the circumstance best of luck man.
Thanks Paul. Yes, the peace of mind for about 3 years will be well worth it. It is kinda sad if I put everything back to stock...

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
This reinforces the opinion of the 2015 motor being a huge gamble. It seems the 2016 and 2017 are fine to mod. But modding a 2015 is like playing Russian roulette and picking red or black. That 50/50 chance.

Dannyho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP DIB
This reinforces the opinion of the 2015 motor being a huge gamble. It seems the 2016 and 2017 are fine to mod. But modding a 2015 is like playing Russian roulette and picking red or black. That 50/50 chance.
this sounds a lot like confirmation bias to me.

Sponsored

MiDiablo

#JustA4Banger
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP 400A 10R80 RTR Spec 5 Widebody
Vehicle Showcase
Mine blew up, too. Also a 2015. Also a hole by the turbo (7 holes total, actually).

For me, as someone who drag races a lot, it made sense to go the built motor route. However, the factor you may not be considering in the increase of cost going to the built motor (2-3k you mentioned over the factory replacement cost) is all the supporting mods to allow it to work like intended: driveshaft, halfshafts, clutch, larger turbo, more fuel, etc/etc/etc. Of course, you could opt not to do any of those things and just have a built motor for safety reasons.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

this sounds a lot like confirmation bias to me.
What's your point? It's a pretty popular opinion around here that owning a 2015 ecoboost and modding it is a huge gamble.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!

Might be worth it to simply go with the Ford Performance tune and stock engine then.

Adam is cool... nice to know he is giving honest advice instead of trying to make a sale (not that it was ever a question).

Unleashed... hope you were on "winter tune".

What's your point? It's a pretty popular opinion around here that owning a 2015 ecoboost and modding it is a huge gamble.
There are a bunch of "popular opinions" around here are are simply dumb... not that modding a '15 -- or any car -- is the smartest thing in the world to do if you can't afford to fix it if something goes wrong.

Last edited:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Might be worth it to simply go with the Ford Performance tune and stock engine then.

Adam is cool... nice to know he is giving honest advice instead of trying to make a sale (not that it was ever a question).

Unleashed... hope you were on "winter tune".

There are a bunch of "popular opinions" around here are are simply dumb... not that modding a '15 -- or any car -- is the smartest thing in the world to do if you can't afford to fix it if something goes wrong.
No, what's dumb is you failing to realize there was a problem with the 2015 ecoboost motor. It's INFERIOR to both the 2016 and 2017.

There is absolutely no issue with modding a car. I modded a TDI with a bigger turbo, tune, bigger nozzles, etc and it made over twice the horsepower it did stock, on stock internals. All these mods took place after the car had 200k miles on it and it held up fine and continues to provide trouble free driving.

The point is, it shouldn't blow up, but it does.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Kind of premature to say that when you know the 16's and 17's don't have 30k+ mileage with a tune on them. If anything, this reinforces the idea that these motors with 320+ whp, higher than that of a RS, is running on luck and $.
Sponsored