Sponsored

End of production of Shelby GT350/R after 2020. Will resale price climb?

nmp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Raptor 2020 GT350R 2022 GT500
Its a decent comparison, it was the hot mustang for the time. I don't see the passion for the 302 LS the way I see it for the 350R or Terminator and the values are reflective of that, they just weren't different enough. I've been into Mustangs for a long time and that car never really wow'ed me and I get the impression Im not the only one.
Sponsored

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
Wow - that’s the LS combo that I lusted over back in the day. $30k...I might have bought that.

you’re right - no real apples to apples comparison exists though. It wasn’t until IRS and the more interesting FPC before Ford started pulling Porsche enthusiasts. Funny that we can partially thank that group for the solid values on our 350s. Without Porsche, what would you really compare them to?
There are things I liked about my Porsche that I miss. And the Mustang feels HUGE coming from. Boxster S. Despite the flat plane crank being more exotic the 350 is sort of to me a marriage between the sports car and the muscle car that satisfies both jones. However at least to me tbe drivng vibe of the Porsche was more sport but since I love muscle cars too it works for me

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I never followed the BOSS market at it was a car I never was really all the interested in personally. A fine automobile I'm sure.
Prior to the 350R, the 12/13 B302’s had the best exhaust sound going. IMHO, having owned both, the B302 has notes/tones/burbles that even the 350R can’t beat and vice versa. They’re the pentacle exhausts of the Mustang history.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Prior to the 350R, the 12/13 B302’s had the best exhaust sound going. IMHO, having owned both, the B302 has notes/tones/burbles that even the 350R can’t beat and vice versa. They’re the pentacle exhausts of the Mustang history.
Having owned a 12 Boss myself, I will say it was the best sounding stock exhaust...that is until I bought my R. Two of the greatest sounding exhausts for sure tho. I think the overall exhaust note in the FPC from 4500 on up and higher RPM range on the Voodoo edges the Boss. But you know what opinions are...

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
My point was that the LS then is about comparable to what the R is now. It was the most track focused limited availability mustang at the time. Look at their values now. These cars are not as collectible as people think. They will be in the future, but it is going to be a while.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
My point was that the LS then is about comparable to what the R is now. It was the most track focused limited availability mustang at the time. Look at their values now. These cars are not as collectible as people think. They will be in the future, but it is going to be a while.
I have to agree. And actually the two year run on the Boss produced only 1500 LS Bosses. Far more limited than the run of R's produced in 6 model years. I would've bought a black LS if it didn't look like a looney tunes hot wheel. The silver Ingot one is just plain ass. Rare but plain ass looking. The 15 R is and will be the real $$$ car. The HEP R is a nice out going package and may not dip much but it'll be quite some time before it appreciates to any grand scale.

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
IMHO the primary difference would be the Voodoo. Thats what got me here. Sure, my late brother was a big Shebly and SVT guy and thinking of him started me down this path but this will be my first ever Mustang (Shelby?)..... and first Ford that was not a Bronco (88, 95). I did not consider myself a "Ford" guy or a "Mustang" guy....I always thought the Mustangs were cool but I preferred my cars to have more sporting intentions and balance over straight line muscle. A "Fanboy" of the brand I am not. I am a fan of really cool unique cars that represent moments in time.

Granted both the Boss and 550 have balance but for me the tipping point was the bespoke engine in the 350. A truly unique power plant not available in any car, ever. I feel that is what differentiates the Voodoo powered 350 vs. it's stablemates.

Although beauty is in the eye of the beholder and opinions are like ____ and everyones got one and so on.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
IMHO the primary difference would be the Voodoo. Thats what got me here. Sure, my late brother was a big Shebly and SVT guy and thinking of him started me down this path but this will be my first ever Mustang (Shelby?)..... and first Ford that was not a Bronco (88, 95). I did not consider myself a "Ford" guy or a "Mustang" guy....I always thought the Mustangs were cool but I preferred my cars to have more sporting intentions and balance over straight line muscle. A "Fanboy" of the brand I am not. I am a fan of really cool unique cars that represent moments in time.

Granted both the Boss and 550 have balance but for me the tipping point was the bespoke engine in the 350. A truly unique power plant not available in any car, ever. I feel that is what differentiates the Voodoo powered 350 vs. it's stablemates.

Although beauty is in the eye of the beholder and opinions are like ____ and everyones got one and so on.
Again, I am not comparing the GT350 to the Boss 302. I am comparing the most track focused mustang at the time and where it is now relative to where the GT350 will be down the road. I think the Boss today is a good indicator.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I have to agree. And actually the two year run on the Boss produced only 1500 LS Bosses. Far more limited than the run of R's produced in 6 model years. I would've bought a black LS if it didn't look like a looney tunes hot wheel. The silver Ingot one is just plain ass. Rare but plain ass looking. The 15 R is and will be the real $$$ car. The HEP R is a nice out going package and may not dip much but it'll be quite some time before it appreciates to any grand scale.
Yes, this.

Wait for it...... He will be along shortly I'm sure.

Sponsored

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
Again, I am not comparing the GT350 to the Boss 302. I am comparing the most track focused mustang at the time and where it is now relative to where the GT350 will be down the road. I think the Boss today is a good indicator.
I guess I'm just not seeing it.... but hell, I have yet to even drive mine yet. I guess my point is that front an "outsiders view" and not being a traditional Mustang buyer the GT350R looks more unicorn-ish than the Boss LS. Just my opinion..... and I certainly respect and appreciate yours as well.

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
oh, and again, this is not an investment. It is a car that I feel has limited downside.

I don't buy cars that will loose $20k by driving them off the lot. It's about having fun while limiting exposure.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
The B302 in both LS and non-LS versions were for their time good cars but hindered by the solid rear axle.

The s550 GT came out and proved this point as it was faster and had crap brakes, of which the B302 suffered with as well.

Both the Roadrunner and ‘15 Coyote are essentially the same engine, but the Hummingbird is altogether a different animal. That being said, the future values of the 350 will be new territory and basing them off the Mustangs of yore is purely speculative conjecture.

With the appeal of FPCs obviously picking up, we shall see what happens with C7 Z06 vs C8 Z06 values in a little while as more people are now excited at the prospects of owning a Vette than ever, including myself. Unfortunately, unless something miraculous happens, DCT trannies will prevail instead of a good ole fashion manual, which sucks, but is the price to play. And, that in itself, is another reason the GT350 will have its own identity in Mustang values.

i even suspect the GT350R will hold its value better than a CFTP.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I don’t agree only from the aspect that the Boss was only really interesting to Mustang fanatics and didn’t have the cross over power of the 350. That was then and this is now. They were the best of the genre that Fordhad to offer in their respective years but the 350 will have more staying power.
The 350 is the Taylor Swift of crossover muscle/exotic world. The Boss was the Johnny Cash - a lot of people liked it back then but doesn’t turn many heads for modern sports car enthusiasts.

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
I don’t agree only from the aspect that the Boss was only really interesting to Mustang fanatics and didn’t have the cross over power of the 350. That was then and this is now. They were the best of the genre that Fordhad to offer in their respective years but the 350 will have more staying power.
The 350 is the Taylor Swift of crossover muscle/exotic world. The Boss was the Johnny Cash - a lot of people liked it back then but doesn’t turn many heads for modern sports car enthusiasts.
My point exactly! Thank you for wiriting it more clearly that I was able to.

Boss and LS were known and coveted by Mustang owners. They were muscle cars that handled well. GT350s and their R compatriots cast a wider net and thusly hooked a guy like me with a bespoke engine in a sports car wrapper. Again, I can't stress BESPOKE enough. To me, that is HUGE. Not a new top end, not a supercharged versions of whatever.... but a totally new and unique power plant front the bottom up.

Again, not to disparage the Boss. I don't know the car well but many people I respect love those cars..... so I'm sure it is a lovely auto. I just can't personally speak to it with great knowledge.
Sponsored

Last edited: