Sponsored

Electronic tech question (2018 400A vs 401A)

Tom C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible
I'm not a gadget guy at all and have no desire or need for an i-Phone. The only Apple product I own is an older gen Nano for music. I use a new but old-school flip phone for emergencies. Both work just fine in my 2014 GT Premium which does not have a tech package.

I plan on getting a 2018 GT convertible. Tech-wise, Both the 400A and 401A include Sync 3, and the 401A adds navigation. Sync 3 is useless to me in either package since it appears that it only works with a smart phone.

I prefer the cosmetics of the 401A and since it comes with navigation I could probably embrace that technology.

Questions:

1) does the navigation feature also require an i-Phone? If so I can't justify a $2200 package just to have unique stitching on the seats.

2) If I stay with the standard 400A w/Sync 3, can I still use my Nano and flip phone (it has Bluetooth).

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

hro0250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Ecoboost Premium
I have sync 3 in my Mustang and it does not need an iPhone or any phone connected to it to use nav. No feature in sync 3 needs a phone connected to work. At any trim level with sync (with or without nav) or without the touch screen you can still pair your phone to make and receive calls. As long as you keep your iPod plugged into the USB port you can still use it for music as well

onilink67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible PP
Can't speak for the 2018 since I haven't seen the package breakdown yet but for the 2017 year the 401a package included below

" Shaker™ Pro Audio System with
12 speakers and amplifier, HD Radio™ Technology, driver’s
seat and sideview mirror memory feature, ambient lighting, and
BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with cross-traffic alert"

for me the upgraded stereo and BLIS were worth it. Just so you know GPS is not standard on all SYNC 3's its about an $800 extra charge

hro0250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Ecoboost Premium
Yeah I regretted not getting BLIS so much I added it myself after I got the car!

jordystang69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
The nav package with the sync3 does NOT need an external device attached. It is a standalone system with the GPS antenna under the dash.

Sync 3 offers Car Play and Android Auto. These are OPTIONAL and require a smartphone attached.

Yes, you can connect any bluetooth device to sync system with the standard. Can also USB the nano to play music from it.
Sponsored