Sponsored

Ecoboost loses 13% power on 87 octane [Updated with Ford training materials]

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
it is just my observation that this car is attracting people to the Mustang that perhaps would not have looked at it before.
100% without a doubt, and for very good reason.
Sponsored

Sixer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
cosmo: no, not really interested in performance over and above.
if I were I'd in theory buy a GT since I presume, that'll out perform the EB.
hopefully long term the EB engine will stand up to all the mods.

phil1336: via dealers in the Vancouver, BC area. low is $1,200 , high is $1,500 and heated seats incl at $1,400 .
pricing's good; when I checked US$ v C$ pricing on the V6 convertibles there was a dollar or so difference.
here in BC the government dropped emissions testing, so if it's worth doing, the cats could be removed.

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid & S550 Convertible
cosmo: no, not really interested in performance over and above.
if I were I'd in theory buy a GT since I presume, that'll out perform the EB.
hopefully long term the EB engine will stand up to all the mods.

phil1336: via dealers in the Vancouver, BC area. low is $1,200 , high is $1,500 and heated seats incl at $1,400 .
pricing's good; when I checked US$ v C$ pricing on the V6 convertibles there was a dollar or so difference.
here in BC the government dropped emissions testing, so if it's worth doing, the cats could be removed.

Not sure what Canadian regulations or Ford Canada would say about removing "Cats" regardless of dropping required emission testing. Here in the State of Florida, there is no safety or emission testing (but) I wouldn`t chance having my Factory Warrantee put in jeopardy by removing them to gain a tiny extra bit of performance.

McCringleberry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Performance Pack MT
I ran at the track last night on 87 and it felt like the car was not running as strong as normal. Ive never had it feel like it was "held back" on the street but I could feel it at the track. I actually ran a faster time in Sport + mode. (14.7 which is rather underwhelming, but due to poor launch room for improvement) My launches were terrible, and I cant believe the Ecoboost Premium Manual doesnt come with Launch control like the GT. Makes no sense and was tough to swallow. Ford Racing needs to hurry up with that tune.

I will definitely be running 93 next time and see how it goes.

Sponsored

DanFish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT, 2015 Black Eco
I ran at the track last night on 87 and it felt like the car was not running as strong as normal. Ive never had it feel like it was "held back" on the street but I could feel it at the track. I actually ran a faster time in Sport + mode. (14.7 which is rather underwhelming, but due to poor launch room for improvement) My launches were terrible, and I cant believe the Ecoboost Premium Manual doesnt come with Launch control like the GT. Makes no sense and was tough to swallow. Ford Racing needs to hurry up with that tune.

Why did you run it on 87? Is that the regular fuek you use or you just wanted to try 87 out on the strip?

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk

Details of pass, please. 60', 1/8, etc.

14.7 seems reasonable on 87. Don't get your hopes up of launch control turning you into John Force.

McCringleberry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was running 87 for the heck of it, I tried 93 and 87 while commuting and could feel 0 difference. So this week I just happened to put 87. My car has just over 1200 miles so I'm trying to feel it out. The car felt just as strong with both fuels. I had no idea I was going to the track it was super last minute and I had about half a tank so I didn't think mixing would be worth it.

McCringleberry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
60' 2.308
330 6.310
1/8 9.573
Mph 75.89
1000 12.395

ET 14.79
MPH 92.46

Notes: Launched around 3800 Rpm in Sport plus. Got ancy and dropped the clutch a little quick. Bogged down. shifted about 500-800 before redline. I had been redlining in Track mode for other runs with poor times in the 15s. The 2nd to 3rd shift seemed to bog badly, like the ECU was retarding the car.

I was dying to hit at least a low 14.... I only ran 4 times. It got real packed, real quick and I had to head home.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Need to repeat with higher octane for sure...

Sponsored

DanFish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT, 2015 Black Eco
I was running 87 for the heck of it, I tried 93 and 87 while commuting and could feel 0 difference. So this week I just happened to put 87. My car has just over 1200 miles so I'm trying to feel it out. The car felt just as strong with both fuels. I had no idea I was going to the track it was super last minute and I had about half a tank so I didn't think mixing would be worth it.
The power loss with 87 is up top according to Mishimotos dyno graph. So you wouldn't feel the difference in daily driving by you would definitely feel it when your racing.

McCringleberry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To clarify I was heavy foot daily driving trying to evaluate the difference, but understood that it would be almost impossible to "feel" a difference. I'm convinced terrible launching killed me, I would shave half a second I think with some more practice.

Ive hit a 15.2 ET on 87 from a "daily driving start" according to Track Apps. Meaning no high revving or clutch dropping at launch. Decently aggressive normal, non tires spinning start. 7 second 0-60. So reasonable math would say a mid 5 second 0-60 you could hit a low 14 with a good launch. Possibly the high 13s you see on YouTube with stock Ecoboost Manuals on 93.

Sixer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
phil1336: asked Zackmd1 about removing them, he thought there'd be a loss of power on the bottom end,
so wouldn't remove them.
yep, the warranty is the first consideration - for me, but it's not stopping a lot of owners from modding and
giving their cars tunes.

McCringleberry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE! I took out the clutch assist spring today and WOW. I shaved 0.6 off the 0-60 time and it feels like a new car! Clutch feels stiff and shifts smooth like a sports car should. Launch problems solved. Guaranteed ET time going down. Ill post again after next track trip.

Long story short the 87 gas ET I ran of 14.7 should have been even lower with this clutch assist spring debacle ruining my launches.