Sponsored

Ecoboost loses 13% power on 87 octane [Updated with Ford training materials]

mjhousto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB, 50 Years AP
wireless: " I'm getting ~300 miles per tank " / 15.5 gallon gas tank capacity = 19.35 mpg ???
Something tells me he is not waiting until he hits E to fill up.
Sponsored

Lord Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT Mustang
Can anyone advice about the European mustang's performance? Our (Czech Republic) regular fuel is 95 octane with premiums being either 98 or 100 Octanes.
Will ford just tune the engine so it delivers the 314HP avertised on the 95 octane fuel? Does anyone have a qualified guess what (if anything) could be expected from the 100 octanes fuel?
European 'octane' numbers are RON, while US uses AKI octane numbers they are not the same.

Regular 95 octane (RON) fuel in Europe is about 91 octane (AKI) in the US.
Premium 98 octane (RON) fuel in Europe is about 93 octane (AKI) in the US.

So our default European fuel will be fine for the EB, while most Premium fuels will give around the advertised performance figures as advertised by Ford. Mind you, this is assuming that Ford will tune our engines the same way as they do with the US versions. This may not be the case.

smidra

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB PP / 2011 Focus EB Titanium
European 'octane' numbers are RON, while US uses AKI octane numbers they are not the same.

Regular 95 octane (RON) fuel in Europe is about 91 octane (AKI) in the US.
Premium 98 octane (RON) fuel in Europe is about 93 octane (AKI) in the US.

So our default European fuel will be fine for the EB, while most Premium fuels will give around the advertised performance figures as advertised by Ford. Mind you, this is assuming that Ford will tune our engines the same way as they do with the US versions. This may not be the case.
Excellent explanation, thank you!

Sixer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Tamadrummer88: you're picking fly shit out of pepper. 'foreign'. new engine.

V6s owners are reporting 26+ mgp.

Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Tamadrummer88: you're picking fly shit out of pepper. 'foreign'. new engine.

V6s owners are reporting 26+ mgp.
You can continue to talk about how you have better power at 87, and get comparable fuel economy for a better cost. There's no question there, the V6 is probably the better deal if you just want a base daily (or convertible) running 87 and aren't doing any modifications. We won't debate that specific point.

If you are talking aftermarket potential and overall performance potential, ESPECIALLY in regarding cost, the V6 will get absolutely destroyed. The V6 will not gain anywhere near the amount of power gains as the I4, until you get above $5-6000 when you can get a supercharger. When spending $5-6000 on the I4, you will have an upgraded turbo, internals, downpipe, intercooler, and tune. They will equal out at that point, with the I4 still having the upper hand because of better internals. That's all the majority of the people on this particular board care about, the performance potential. Notice the most popular threads? They're all performance related. That's where you lose, and won't win a debate.

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
You can continue to talk about how you have better power at 87, and get comparable fuel economy for a better cost. There's no question there, the V6 is probably the better deal if you just want a base daily (or convertible) running 87 and aren't doing any modifications. We won't debate that specific point.

If you are talking aftermarket potential and overall performance potential, ESPECIALLY in regarding cost, the V6 will get absolutely destroyed. The V6 will not gain anywhere near the amount of power gains as the I4, until you get above $5-6000 when you can get a supercharger. When spending $5-6000 on the I4, you will have an upgraded turbo, internals, downpipe, intercooler, and tune. They will equal out at that point, with the I4 still having the upper hand because of better internals. That's all the majority of the people on this particular board care about, the performance potential. Notice the most popular threads? They're all performance related. That's where you lose, and won't win a debate.
The only reason to buy a V-6 if you want to mod it is to make a monster sleeper with a turbo.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
The only reason to buy a V-6 if you want to mod it is to make a monster sleeper with a turbo.

Lol that video is very entertaining. But the same can and will be done with this vehicle, for cheaper.

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
Lol that video is very entertaining. But the same can and will be done with this vehicle, for cheaper.
I am not so sure about the "cheaper" part of the equation. From what I have been observing, the parts for the EB seem to be priced like parts for imports. This is natural, since this car is bringing that fan base in and the manufacturers that produce parts for those cars as well.

Mike

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
I am not so sure about the "cheaper" part of the equation. From what I have been observing, the parts for the EB seem to be priced like parts for imports. This is natural, since this car is bringing that fan base in and the manufacturers that produce parts for those cars as well.

Mike
I'm judging based on the available Focus ST parts. Turbos are around 1400-1600 depending on the size, there's already downpipes and intercoolers for 400, etc.

Sponsored

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
I'm judging based on the available Focus ST parts. Turbos are around 1400-1600 depending on the size, there's already downpipes and intercoolers for 400, etc.
The turbo is going to be interesting from a price standpoint. We will see.

Mike

wireless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White Ecoboost Premium

Mike
I'm part of the import crowd :(
well... sorta... this is my second "performance" car I've owned. Came from a GTI... where you can go from 200hp ~ 350-370hp for around ~3,000. Which isn't bad at all lol.

The turbo is going to be interesting from a price standpoint. We will see.

Mike
I'm sure a kit for a turbo swap will be upwards of $2500 if it includes a new manifold or whatever else is necessary. I'm interested.

DanFish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT, 2015 Black Eco
Most bolt on Garrett turbos for the st are around 2000-2500 so I think that's a pretty decent price. Most likely be pushing 400-500 to the wheels with full bolt ons and turbo.

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
I'm part of the import crowd :(
well... sorta... this is my second "performance" car I've owned. Came from a GTI... where you can go from 200hp ~ 350-370hp for around ~3,000. Which isn't bad at all lol.
Nothing wrong with imports, it is just my observation that this car is attracting people to the Mustang that perhaps would not have looked at it before. I think that is a good thing. I think we will see some brutal all-out efforts with these cars within 6 months to a year. Fully built engines and above 750 RWHP. To me, this platform was appealing because it is a ready to go package and it will handle the HP levels I am looking to make in factory trim. I have plenty of V-8 stuff too, most of it turbocharged as well.

Mike

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid & S550 Convertible
phil1336: I can get leather for C$1,200 .

jholtz: 'foreign' in the sense of not Mustang pedigree, a newcomer.
mpg: well over 30 regardless of the variables you mention.

wireless: " I'm getting ~300 miles per tank " / 15.5 gallon gas tank capacity = 19.35 mpg ???
After market or from Ford? Don`t forget, very often there are different equipment configurations between US Spec Vehicles and CA Spec Vehicles along with significant price differences (regardless) of the exchange rate in currencies.
Sponsored