Sponsored

Ecoboost High Performance Pkg 0-60 actual

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
This is how a lot of performance cars act. To get the claimed times out of a 911 for example you have to use launch control otherwise theyre a full second or so slower to 60.
Isnt the WRX the same?
The only time they get mid 5 sec is when they launch the heck out of it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Knerrpool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Fusion Sport
Not true, base HPP with Handling Package $36,250. Base GT with Magneride $45,965. Even if you take out the Magneride, the base GT is $4k more.
Correct. The car I am looking at would be significantly less than even a base GT (you know, with the 2 inch screen). Plus, frankly, I like the look of the HPP better - wider tires, decklid spoiler, wheels etc. Add to that better gas mileage and I thought it was an easy decision. However, I am finding out that gas mileage won't be nearly as good as advertised since the Turbo runs at higher revs - not to mention having to use the most expensive gas. Throw in the fact that it is really not nearly as fast as I thought it was, is giving me a lot of pause.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Not true, base HPP with Handling Package $36,250. Base GT with Magneride $45,965. Even if you take out the Magneride, the base GT is $4k more.
Good point. GT base with the PP2 is even a few dollars less at $45,575. But that's still a $9,325 difference. But as OP said not everyone wants a GT/V8.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Correct. The car I am looking at would be significantly less than even a base GT (you know, with the 2 inch screen). Plus, frankly, I like the look of the HPP better - wider tires, decklid spoiler, wheels etc. Add to that better gas mileage and I thought it was an easy decision. However, I am finding out that gas mileage won't be nearly as good as advertised since the Turbo runs at higher revs - not to mention having to use the most expensive gas. Throw in the fact that it is really not nearly as fast as I thought it was, is giving me a lot of pause.
Please stop, you're driving yourself nuts for no reason. The car can and will perform admirably. It is a fast, great handling car.

If you drive the car like a maniac and always keep it in boost your gas mileage will suck, as with any performance car. Drive it normally and mid to high twenties are easy. You will also see 30+ on the highway. By the way the turbos run throughout almost the entire RPM range, not just at high RPM.

Lastly gasoline. All turbo's run better with premium. Its the nature of the engine. All of Ford's performance numbers are advertised using high test (same for the GT) You can run regular but the car will not like it and neither will you.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The ford tune is just plain CRAP. I briefly drove a HPP the other day. Are you near Alexandria? In which case come ride in my Unleashed tuned car before I wave it goodbye. Also the onboard timer is not exactly known for accuracy.

expected a car named Mustang 2.3L Turbo with High Performance Package to be, straight off the lot with a normal driver and driving, faster to 0-60 than a base Altima or Optima. At 6.5 seconds, it's not faster, and its probably slower - it's definitely slower than my Fusion.
why do you give a sh*t? Come on seriously, street racing is as pointless an exercise as there is. On second thought bench racing is the only thing more stupid.

If you want a HPP+Handling+Premium+6MT for 36-38k (45.5 sticker) come to Malloy Ford on Duke Street, Anandale.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Knerrpool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Fusion Sport
Please stop, you're driving yourself nuts for no reason. The car can and will perform admirably. It is a fast, great handling car.
I know, you are right. Unfortunately, it's just the way I am. As one poster said, "do your research/due diligence", so I guess that's what I'm doing. Having said that, I posted in the "Mustang vs." forum that I am comparing this car to an Altima VC Turbo. I know, they are in totally different categories, but that's where I am at the moment. If you would, please take a look at that post and comment - it's got some additional information about my situation. Also, I'm still open to other suggestions. Thanks for your input - this site has been very helpful.

OP
OP

Knerrpool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Fusion Sport
why do you give a sh*t? Come on seriously, street racing is as pointless an exercise as there is. On second thought bench racing is the only thing more stupid.
I know. But, the same could be said for a lot (probably most) people - no racing will ever be done. It's the feeling of "being able to". Want versus need. It's pretty common, especially when it comes to autos.

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
I know, you are right. Unfortunately, it's just the way I am. As one poster said, "do your research/due diligence", so I guess that's what I'm doing. Having said that, I posted in the "Mustang vs." forum that I am comparing this car to an Altima VC Turbo. I know, they are in totally different categories, but that's where I am at the moment. If you would, please take a look at that post and comment - it's got some additional information about my situation. Also, I'm still open to other suggestions. Thanks for your input - this site has been very helpful.
It is ultimately your decision, obviously.

I bet if you went into your test drive of the Altima 2.0T with a GPS performance meter, its 0-60 would NOT be 6.5 sec , especially with 50 miles in the odometer as it probably had also.

Engine 2.0L VC-Turbo
Horsepower 248 @ 5,600 rpm (premium fuel)
Torque (lb-ft) 273 @ 1,600 rpm (premium fuel)

My guess is the 2.0T "feels" faster cuz it makes a lot of torque at only 1500 rpms, a bit sooner than the mustang 2.3t @ 3000 rpms. Just because it "feels" faster isnt necessarily so.

The 2.0t is rated at 6 sec 0-60. Remember , that is THE best its been tested to be able to do and/ or what the manufacturer states its capable of doing AT BEST. NO. CAR. OUT. THERE. RUNS. ITS. 0 to 60. THAT. EASILY.

The 2.3t, once broken in, will out perform it by a lot.

Id never buy a nissan, let alone a car with a CVT, and definitely would never go back to FWD.

As you mention, TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CARS. 0-60 isnt everything either in a PERFORMANCE CAR. Handling, cornering, fun factor, is included as well... dont forget that.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Just read the other thread. Shogun32 is 1000% correct, stay away from Nissan. All of their financial and political issues are effecting their cars. You can do so much better.

So now you opened up a whole new can of worms. Why exactly are you looking at a Mustang? Price, size, style, performance, history/American icon, the great people on this forum? Do you really want a 2+2 coupe? Maybe a vert? Before you decide on a specific model decide why you want this car in the first place. Then go drive everything. Mustangs are great cars but they are not for everyone. Matt mentioned some great alternatives from VW, Mazda, & Honda.

All this being said the Ecoboost HPP will be an insane canyon carver with very decent straight line performance. 0-60 in 5-6 seconds is really fast. It may not be a GT in smiles for miles but if it is the right car for you I'll bet you'll never get that grin off your face.

OP
OP

Knerrpool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Fusion Sport
It is ultimately your decision, obviously.

I bet if you went into your test drive of the Altima 2.0T with a GPS performance meter, its 0-60 would NOT be 6.5 sec , especially with 50 miles in the odometer as it probably had also.

Engine 2.0L VC-Turbo
Horsepower 248 @ 5,600 rpm (premium fuel)
Torque (lb-ft) 273 @ 1,600 rpm (premium fuel)

My guess is the 2.0T "feels" faster cuz it makes a lot of torque at only 1500 rpms, a bit sooner than the mustang 2.3t @ 3000 rpms. Just because it "feels" faster isnt necessarily so.

The 2.0t is rated at 6 sec 0-60. Remember , that is THE best its been tested to be able to do and/ or what the manufacturer states its capable of doing AT BEST. NO. CAR. OUT. THERE. RUNS. ITS. 0 to 60. THAT. EASILY.

The 2.3t, once broken in, will out perform it by a lot.

Id never buy a nissan, let alone a car with a CVT, and definitely would never go back to FWD.

As you mention, TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CARS. 0-60 isnt everything either in a PERFORMANCE CAR. Handling, cornering, fun factor, is included as well... dont forget that.
Thanks again for the input. Yes, the RWD is a check in the Mustang column. I know the Altima has less HP but, as far as being fun to drive, I have to admit, the Altima was pretty darn fun to drive. I don't know that for sure that it was faster than 6.5 and agree that it appears the HPP will get faster over time (I don't quite understand why that is - somebody may have alluded to it but I'll take everyone's word for it.).

I have heard CVT is not what it was cracked up to be. Can you explain?

Can you let me know why you'd never buy a Nissan?

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
What's the spec on your Euro GT?

Grandma probably owned one in high school and wanted to get another Mustang.

@Knerrpool
As has been said, stop stressing over it. 93, proper break-in, and some upgrades behind the wheel are all you'll need.

im not knocking grandma I dig her taste, but im saying ive been seeing quite a few of them. If its an ecoboost in my area and it looks new, its been like 50/50 standard eb or HIPO. I figure Id see way less HIPO due to price, but nope. selling pretty darn well. Dealership keeps 50/50 split of ecoboost and GT's in stock and selling like hotcakes.

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Thanks again for the input. Yes, the RWD is a check in the Mustang column. I know the Altima has less HP but, as far as being fun to drive, I have to admit, the Altima was pretty darn fun to drive. I don't know that for sure that it was faster than 6.5 and agree that it appears the HPP will get faster over time (I don't quite understand why that is - somebody may have alluded to it but I'll take everyone's word for it.).

The CVT issues have been reported on the internet and youtube. Just look it up. Id never buy a Nissan because most of their cars are CVT, at least the only nice car I think they have, the maxima, is CVT. Also, I dont like the CVT whine.

I think youre gonna have more fun in a mustang. but hey...If Nissan Altima 2.0t got you giggling on your test drive, go for it lol

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
(I don't quite understand why that is - somebody may have alluded to it but I'll take everyone's word for it.).
Car drivetrains (engines, transmissions, breaks, suspensions, etc.) require a break in period for all of the internals to properly seat themselves. As they do this they become more efficient and therefore performance improves. The 10R80 is also a smart transmission. It learns your driving habits and adjusts to them. Add it all up and a car with 1000 miles on it will outperform one right off the showroom floor. And, of course, there is that gas thing.

CVT and performance are never, ever to be used in the same sentence. A CVT transmission is a big rubber band that is supposed to improve efficiency and gas mileage. As a result performance is highly compromised, even in the best of them.

Here's a good beginners guide to CVT's.

https://www.caranddriver.com/research/a31517125/cvt-transmission-vs-automatic-quick-guide/

Nissans were damn good cars for a very long time. I know because I go back to the Datsun days. The have recently suffered financial woes to poorer than expected sales (remember you are going straight up against Honda and Toyota). Then add in all of the political BS with their ex CEO (Carlos Gohsn) and their mojo is in the toilet. This is a rough period for them and the build quality of their cars are showing it. It even looks like their luxury brand, Infiniti is going away. That's a shame as I had two G37X's and they were great cars.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
im not knocking grandma I dig her taste, but im saying ive been seeing quite a few of them. If its an ecoboost in my area and it looks new, its been like 50/50 standard eb or HIPO. I figure Id see way less HIPO due to price, but nope. selling pretty darn well. Dealership keeps 50/50 split of ecoboost and GT's in stock and selling like hotcakes.
This post was approved and paid for by FORD!!!

Only kidding Don. Here in MB where Mustangs are a dime a dozen I do not think I've seem more than one or two EB HPP's. Must be the water in Ohio. :crackup:
Sponsored