Sponsored

EB to GT

WarrENDeatH

The Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 'Hellbat'
Is the EB that sedated that people are making large leaps to trade for the GT? It still makes quite a decent amount of power.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jdenkevitz

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
Is the EB that sedated that people are making large leaps to trade for the GT? It still makes quite a decent amount of power.
Sedated? No. It has a nice power band between 2000 and 5000 rpm. I hazard to say that it feels even a bit stronger from 2500 to 4000 than the coyote, due to the turbo. After 5500 it falls off dramatically. You need to short shift to get the most out of the car, at least on the stock tune. The coyote feels like it pulls all the way to redline.

The issues with the EB:

-power drop off after 5500 rpm. Its just how they have the turbo set up, tweaked more for mid range power.
-Horrible stock intercooler. If you live in a hot area or do performance driving, you are likely to have problems with the stock IC. It heat soaks rather quickly, and the engine pulls timing to prevent predetonation. On hot days with any sort of spirited driving the car felt sluggish.
-lack of catch can. You can get blow by and carbon build ups over the life of the engine, requiring expensive cleaning procedures.
-(subjective) engine/exhaust note is not very impressive.

You can get an aftermarket IC for around $500-600. You can install a catch can ($300) as well (although it seems some who have done so have exhaust/smoke issues). You can get considerably more power out of a tune ($700ish), especially a custom tune. Folks were getting 40 more HP and 80 more torque on relatively safe tunes with the installation of aftermarket IC's. Of course a tune means if you have engine problems, its a possibility the dealer may refuse service. There is no way to hide a tune if they look for it (even if you re-flash it to stock).

So for about $1500-1600 you can significantly improve the EB if you are willing to take the risk (at considerably less than the price difference between it and the GT). You don't get the v8 sound, and I would doubt the engine's lifespan (tuned 2.3l with turbo) is equivalent to the coyote's NA. The coyote of course can be modded with turbos/superchargers as well (at considerably more cost).

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
No.

Some people live their lives and make their decisions based on comparative thinking or what others think of them. They do not make decisions based on what they really want. The EB is the fastest, most powerful, and most capable of any mustang I have ever owned. When I raced an EB manual against a 5.0L auto back in 2014 I ended up only 1.5 car lengths behind the 5.0L at the end of the quarter...I was so impressed I bought one. Others, who live in the 'gotta have the fastest realm' will laugh and say...'ah, what a loser...buying a loser car, couldn't win the race.'

Unfortunately, making decisions based on petty things is a losing strategy that leads to unhappiness. There is always a faster car, faster mods, better weather somewhere else, prettier girlfriends...etc. It leads to dissatisfaction with the present or what you actually have under your feet.

Me, I think this EB Mustang is outstanding. Yes, the 5.0L is also outstanding and probably more so, but I am comfy with my choice and would do it again in a heartbeat!

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
No.

Some people live their lives and make their decisions based on comparative thinking or what others think of them. They do not make decisions based on what they really want. The EB is the fastest, most powerful, and most capable of any mustang I have ever owned. When I raced an EB manual against a 5.0L auto back in 2014 I ended up only 1.5 car lengths behind the 5.0L at the end of the quarter...I was so impressed I bought one. Others, who live in the 'gotta have the fastest realm' will laugh and say...'ah, what a loser...buying a loser car, couldn't win the race.'

Unfortunately, making decisions based on petty things is a losing strategy that leads to unhappiness. There is always a faster car, faster mods, better weather somewhere else, prettier girlfriends...etc. It leads to dissatisfaction with the present or what you actually have under your feet.

Me, I think this EB Mustang is outstanding. Yes, the 5.0L is also outstanding and probably more so, but I am comfy with my choice and would do it again in a heartbeat!
Some people live their lives making assumptions and generalizations about other people.. :doh:

I settled on the EB because the GT would of been too much of a stretch. I could swing the insurance payments but that would of been an extremely stupid decision to pay that much just for insurance.. I could buy 2 new cars for what I would of been paying on that GT with insurance factored in.

That being said, I always wanted the GT.. I talked myself (sales man helped :tsk:) into the eb with "good mpg, less insurance, abundant power mods.. pssshttt! noises.."

If I could add all those mods everyone recommends and keep my Ford warranty intact and smoke GT's all day everyday.. I still wouldn't want to keep this car, I want a GT.. manual.. Race Red, Black or Magnetic. :D

Rjdamato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rj
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT
Awesome! Welcome to the EB to GT "club".

I did the same thing about 2 months ago as the deal was too good to pass up. Magnetic to Magnetic.

Now that I am past break in I must agree that the GT is a different animal. The Coyote doesn't strain as hard as the Ecoboost as well. I just couldn't justify the amount of money to put into the EB to make reliable/safe horsepower vs the GT.

Though I did go from an auto to an auto so the gas milage isn't as bad with the 3.15 gears.... got 29mpg going to work today in the v8! What?!

Insurance also went from $250 for the EB to $190 for the GT, doesn't make sense but I don't ask questions. Even my old insurance provider recommended the switch.

Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Though I did go from an auto to an auto so the gas milage isn't as bad with the 3.15 gears.... got 29mpg going to work today in the v8! What?!
The gas mileage on this engine is great, especially considering it doesn't use any tech like cylinder shut off. It's well-engineered.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I don't think it's the actual car itself that is making people want to trade up to a GT. The car could run perfectly fine and have 400hp and I bet people would still want to trade up for a GT. Why? Well the V8 owners (not just Mustang) and fanboys do a good job at making V6/EB owners feel shame and regret for their purchase. As a V6/EB owner, we enter hostile territory everywhere we go: car meets, the store, youtube, forums, parties, parking lots, wherever. I have had many instances where a person asked me what engine I had under the hood and I said "its the V6" and you can almost sense their disappointment when they say "oh". There is also a feeling of shame when a V8 pulls up next to you at a stoplight and you just feel like you've been embarrassed without even racing.

I'm usually not weakminded but i guess i was wrong because the stigma with the V6 Mustang was so strong that I did fall for the "I should've got the GT" trap a few months after getting my V6. I did attempt a trade in for a GT but couldn't afford the down because I had too much negative equity. I probably won't be getting a GT anytime soon because I'm moving out soon but after 5 years once my loan is paid off maybe i'll attempt to get a GT again.

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
I traded mine so fast because that's when I decided I wanted a gt. I know that sounds crass, but it's the truth. I was able to do it so I did. I also got a premium this time instead of a base model.

Sponsored

Chargersfan81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Race Red
I don't think it's the actual car itself that is making people want to trade up to a GT. The car could run perfectly fine and have 400hp and I bet people would still want to trade up for a GT. Why? Well the V8 owners (not just Mustang) and fanboys do a good job at making V6/EB owners feel shame and regret for their purchase. As a V6/EB owner, we enter hostile territory everywhere we go: car meets, the store, youtube, forums, parties, parking lots, wherever. I have had many instances where a person asked me what engine I had under the hood and I said "its the V6" and you can almost sense their disappointment when they say "oh". There is also a feeling of shame when a V8 pulls up next to you at a stoplight and you just feel like you've been embarrassed without even racing.

I'm usually not weakminded but i guess i was wrong because the stigma with the V6 Mustang was so strong that I did fall for the "I should've got the GT" trap a few months after getting my V6. I did attempt a trade in for a GT but couldn't afford the down because I had too much negative equity. I probably won't be getting a GT anytime soon because I'm moving out soon but after 5 years once my loan is paid off maybe i'll attempt to get a GT again.

Truth. You don't know how many friends/family (they're usually the meanest lol) gave me grief about the EB. The only ones who couldn't care less are the ones that don't give a rat's ass about performance, don't know Mustangs have a V6/V8 option, most women, other EB owners.

Most guys looked at me sideways and I have heard it all..

- I got the b*tch version
- Not a real muscle car
- Imitation Mustang
- Why would I buy a Mustang without the V8
- Will never sound like a V8
- You want a 4-banger, get a German/import
- blah, blah, blah

I know it's silly and you can always ignore them.., but it's the truth. :(

Camaro V6/Challenger V6 guys deal with the same grief too lol

Pretty rough when you have a performance car Muscle car with a small engine.

OP
OP
Jdenkevitz

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
I don't think I was concerned about what others thought of me having an EB. I would hope that I don't give a rats ass. Im a little too old for that. After all, they aren't paying for it/driving/living with it. It was more that for the longest time I saved up, and was very frugal regarding automobiles. They were purely utilitarian to get me from A to B. If something went wrong, fix them myself if possible and move on. I had a Saturn Ion as my last vehicle which I drove for 10 years. I just reached a point where I wanted something I really enjoyed, with performance, but that wouldn't put me into debt (porsche/corvette). The EB was a huge upgrade from a Saturn, but I just realized that it felt like a half measure. It had the appearance, but not the full heart of the performance vehicle I was looking for, and to get that full performance, would need to really push the bounds of what that engine was set up to do.

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I blame my neighbor across the street with an '11 GT. He had a loud exhaust on it, and every morning... there was glorious V8 roar. That, and I had some doubts from day one, as some here may remember.

Someone said once before that the Ecoboost Mustang is a fine car. A real bargain in its class, and possibly the best inexpensive, RWD car on the market in terms of performance for the dollar. But it will always suffer being the little brother to the GT.

That being said, I really don't care for people who shame and hate on EB drivers, either. That's not cool.

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Some people live their lives making assumptions and generalizations about other people.. :doh:

I settled on the EB because the GT would of been too much of a stretch. I could swing the insurance payments but that would of been an extremely stupid decision to pay that much just for insurance.. I could buy 2 new cars for what I would of been paying on that GT with insurance factored in.

That being said, I always wanted the GT.. I talked myself (sales man helped :tsk:) into the eb with "good mpg, less insurance, abundant power mods.. pssshttt! noises.."

If I could add all those mods everyone recommends and keep my Ford warranty intact and smoke GT's all day everyday.. I still wouldn't want to keep this car, I want a GT.. manual.. Race Red, Black or Magnetic. :D
Well, for what it's worth, I am going to say this for clarification purposes because it is so important...

1. If you want or even think you want a GT, BUY IT even if it is a terrible stretch to the pocket book. The car is worth it.
2. EVERYONE needs to have a GT at least at one point in their life or another.

If 1 & 2 mean trading up, absolutely. I have had 2 GT's already and loved them (one I drove to 175k miles, the other a convert). So, my posturing is only due to age and observation, as well as a 1970 Torino GT convertible with a 351C, an F150, two motorcycles, and... gosh, too much stuff.

The reason for the comparative purchasing comment is that I see it a lot right here...'what should I buy'...'what should I mod'....'what color should I get'.... When I think about buying something I start a spreadsheet and start analyzing the options. 8 months later I may start talking to the dealer...LOL

However, I think the only thing that would entice me out of my EB right now would be:

1. a GT350 or GT500
2. a 2.7L EBM with a 200 HP electric motor in tandem
3. the wife wants to get a new truck

The GT is fun...but, I did that already....this is different! Different is good.

BlackBoostedStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I blame my neighbor across the street with an '11 GT. He had a loud exhaust on it, and every morning... there was glorious V8 roar. That, and I had some doubts from day one, as some here may remember.

Someone said once before that the Ecoboost Mustang is a fine car. A real bargain in its class, and possibly the best inexpensive, RWD car on the market in terms of performance for the dollar. But it will always suffer being the little brother to the GT.

That being said, I really don't care for people who shame and hate on EB drivers, either. That's not cool.
I've been corrupted as well by friends/neighbors who have coyotes. The EB was my first mustang, first manual, first turbo car and DAMN.. am I impressed with this thing. Intercooler, Tune and damn near 400lbs of down low useable torque. Daily driving the car, it feels faster than a GT since the power is so down low.

I bought the car for MPG, I've put 20k miles on my car in 10 months of ownership and it has been flawlessly reliable. Tuned through all of it. The time is looking right to make the switch to my first ever V8 car. I swore I'd never own a mustang, but this Ecoboost (The bastard child in the family) has cemented my love for mustangs. I didn't need a V8 to get me there, this thing has just as much if not more charisma as a car and I value that.
Sponsored