E15

TRS7139

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Apparantly within the last 24 hours the EPA has been directed to study year round E15 usage as opposed to winter months.
Unclear is whether this leads to universal application with 91-93 octane.
Anybody have any thoughts/input ?
Sponsored

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
E15 is like 88 octane. Cant run that in our cars. Not sure it impacts 91-93 octane. I for one would love more E85 stations.

JRoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford, MKIV, RR
Apparantly within the last 24 hours the EPA has been directed to study year round E15 usage as opposed to winter months.
Unclear is whether this leads to universal application with 91-93 octane.
Anybody have any thoughts/input ?
Trump is working to lift the E15 ban for summer months only and have it be accessible year round. With that said, the EPA still needs to sign off on it and it wont likely happen until next year sometime. The API (American Petroleum Institute) says E15 gasoline ruins older cars and potentially voids warranties, and have threatened to sue, arguing the EPA lacks the legal authority to strike the ban. In other words expect a fight from all sides before this comes to fruition.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I just prefer the government to remove rather than add regulations. And it would be even better if the government stopped using our tax dollars to prop up ethanol.

Just let the market determine what fuels will be available.

IMO ethanol is terrible as a fuel though. It's great that fuel systems don't ice up, but other than that I much prefer a pure petroleum product.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It's hard to say how this will affect higher AKI fuels. Locally, Chevron stations (all of them) have two gasoline storage tanks - a tank for 87 with ethanol and a second tank for 94 with no ethanol. Pumps dispense 94, 91, 89 and 87 mixes with levels of ethanol from zero in the 94 to around 10 percent in the 87.

So, does this mean that higher AKI levels in other locations will have less ethanol? Probably not - E85 has a very high AKI (100 or so) and it's mostly ethanol. They could run the blender pumps the other way around, with higher ethanol in the higher AKI blends.

As for the taxes and so on, the problem with the price of petroleum products is that it doesn't include the high cost of recovering the CO2 from the atmosphere after it's dumped out the tailpipe. While for decades these costs were considered "free", we're now seeing widespread economic strife from megastorms, mega-wildfires and health problems, which are made worse by all that CO2 we didn't bother to collect.

OP
OP
TRS7139

TRS7139

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
It's hard to say how this will affect higher AKI fuels. Locally, Chevron stations (all of them) have two gasoline storage tanks - a tank for 87 with ethanol and a second tank for 94 with no ethanol. Pumps dispense 94, 91, 89 and 87 mixes with levels of ethanol from zero in the 94 to around 10 percent in the 87.

So, does this mean that higher AKI levels in other locations will have less ethanol? Probably not - E85 has a very high AKI (100 or so) and it's mostly ethanol. They could run the blender pumps the other way around, with higher ethanol in the higher AKI blends.

As for the taxes and so on, the problem with the price of petroleum products is that it doesn't include the high cost of recovering the CO2 from the atmosphere after it's dumped out the tailpipe. While for decades these costs were considered "free", we're now seeing widespread economic strife from megastorms, mega-wildfires and health problems, which are made worse by all that CO2 we didn't bother to collect.
Mega man do some actual scientific research, and stop listening to your former snoboard instructor PM.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I saw E15 in the town I grew up in this week. It had a rating of 88 equivalent. All cars built after about '13 or so care capable of running up to E15 or E20 assuming their octane requirements aren't higher than mid grade. Our cars CAN run E15. It's right on the fuel cover. However as one would suspect, yes there will be a power compromise.

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
Just another subsidy for corn farmers. Have to do something with all the overproduction.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Most fuels are already e10, regardless of octane. If one assumes the base gasoline is the same, increasing ethanol content from 10% to 15% would result in a marginal increase in octane.

Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I would like Trump to repeal Commodity Futures Modernization act passed by Clinton. Should help with these prices and oil volatility. Get this Ethanol crap out of our gasoline.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I would like Trump to repeal Commodity Futures Modernization act passed by Clinton. Should help with these prices and oil volatility. Get this Ethanol crap out of our gasoline.
Living in Turlock you should welcome ethanol. Get a Lund flex tune and recoup the hp lost to California 91.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Living in Turlock you should welcome ethanol. Get a Lund flex tune and recoup the hp lost to California 91.

The closest E85 is about half hour away in Riverbank. If they had a station here I might.. still need injectors for my 16. 18s just need a tune from what I heard. Thats nice.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Performance wise, I don't have a problem with blends of ethanol because our cars can take it...in theory but maybe not directly in application, at least as they sit. If I could readily get E85 around me I'd already be on a flex tune. I like E85 and the performance benefits it brings. I rode the anti E85 bandwagon for a while but as I educated myself, there's some seriously good stuff there. Look at all the cars that are running E85 because the NEED to with big boy boost applications.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The closest E85 is about half hour away in Riverbank. If they had a station here I might.. still need injectors for my 16. 18s just need a tune from what I heard. Thats nice.
S555's don't need injectors. I just looked at the e85 map and thought it was available locally.
Sponsored