Sponsored

Dynotech 1pc AL Driveshaft - Brenspeed

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I had searched up and down the forums here and didn't see much coverage of this product, but it's very popular on other well traveled forums. They've been around for a long time (90+ years experience) and make driveshafts for many racing bodies, including IHRA, NHRA and many NASCAR teams. They're manufactured with tight tolerances on balance and shaft runout, and they're balanced to 8000rpm and rated for 900HP.

That being said, I ordered a Dynotech through Brenspeed (excellent, FAST, customer service) who worked with Dynotech to get it made quickly as I was up against a deadline. Both Brenspeed and Dynotech came through in time and I got it installed yesterday. The DS itself weighed in at about 17.4lbs (sans bolts) vs stock 36.6lbs (sans bolts). The build quality was simply flawless and installation was very smooth and easy. I went for a test ride and it was smooth as glass, zero vibration up to 110mph. Of course, like any of the AL DS's out there, spin up due to less rotating mass feels a little quicker, snappier and the driver connection to the car feels more solid, as it should.

I know there's a lot of people installing aftermarket 1pc driveshafts who battle vibration and try clocking the DS, or just live with it, but Dynotech was a one shot in and absolutely flawless product. Couldn't be more pleased!

One recommendation if you purchase this driveshaft, get an 8mm & 10mm long ball hex bit socket. It'll make torquing the front and rear bolts a snap. One other thing not mentioned in the instructions, I put the two locating bolts for the pinion flange in the holes nearest the relief cutouts 180* apart (should have taken a picture, but forgot). The instructions say to simply put the two bolts in 180* apart, but they don't say which 2 holes. When looking at the pinion flange it made the most sense to use the holes near the relief slots. Probably not 100% necessary, but that's what I used and it worked out great.

Anyway, just wanted to send it out to the S550 specific crowd who might be looking to upgrade that rubbery, heavy stock 2-piece, make sure to include Dynotech as an excellent option!:thumbsup:
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
How is the transmission thud these cars suffer from, any change with the 1pc?

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
This is the same driveshaft I installed in my car when I installed my MGW. The clutch feel got much better after removing the factory driveshaft and I wanted a driveshaft with 2 u joints. With 2 u joints in phase the vibrations cancel each other out if the angles are correct.

OP
OP
Gee

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
How is the transmission thud these cars suffer from, any change with the 1pc?
I had zero thuds/clicks/clunks in the car up until I installed the steeda red diff inserts. I know there's a lot people and posts talking about all sorts of noises, but for me, I'm confident mine is coming from the diff or half shafts. It may have been there all the time, but like I said, I had nothing until the diff inserts went in.

It's during low speed shifting 1,2,3, up or down. When I'm underneath the car and turn the pinion left/right I can hear it. It's just being transferred to the cabin now. I may take out the bushings and see if it goes away, or I may live with it because I want the benefit of added stability during launches.

OP
OP
Gee

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
This is the same driveshaft I installed in my car when I installed my MGW. The clutch feel got much better after removing the factory driveshaft and I wanted a driveshaft with 2 u joints. With 2 u joints in phase the vibrations cancel each other out if the angles are correct.
Similar desire here. I've had nothing but U-joint driveshafts in my other cars with great results and wasn't interested in going the CV joint route (scared of change I suppose). I'm sure they work fine, but I'll stick with what's always worked for me for years.

Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
This was one of my first mods I did...actually it was the first 2015 Dynotech sold. I had a few issues with the hardware but Dynotech took care of it with no problem. It has been abused - two clutches and 1 transmission later it seems to be the strong link in the drive train....absolutely love it.

OP
OP
Gee

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I wish they made a carbon fiber version as it would be nice to have options besides DSS for CF
I've seen a few comments by guys in the know that swear by PST (Precision Shaft Technologies). They're not as highly discussed on forums and sell direct. They do have CF options and can make anything you want, just need to provide dimensions.

You could also call Dynotech and see if they do CF shafts. They do plenty of customized solutions.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gee

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have the aluminum DSS and it got rid of my thud.
Define the thud it cured if you wouldn't mind. It seems many people are having several different types of noises and such coming from the drivetrain. The reports are so all over the place from so many posters that it's hard to say one man's thud is/isn't another man's clunk, lol. I'm highly confident it's coming from the diff. It's the lash of either the diff or possibly the half shafts as they engage/disengage. It happens low speed, low rpm only, shifting between 1-4, up or down. Right when I move the shifter to the start of the gate you hear it. I can hold the clutch in the entire time and slide between 1-2-1 while rolling and it does it at every gate entrance. When sitting idle, not moving, clutch in, there's not even a trace of the noise when moving between gears.

That's what's a little weird to me I guess. If the clutch is in all the way then there should be no load transferred to the diff. It's like the mere start of engagement of a gear, clutch fully depressed, provides JUST enough movement to the diff to engage it, and I'm hearing it.

Once the BMR springs get here I'll be removing the diff inserts to see if it goes away. At the same time I do plan to visit Tasca here locally for alignment after I get the springs installed and intend to have them look into it.

This is my third mustang, noises (especially drivetrain related) from adding performance parts aren't new to me, it's completely normal. However, this is my first Torsen and I'm curious if this is normal noise or an issue that could cause future problems if not handled. My gut tells me it's likely normal. Once I get more info I'll be sure to post up some results in a new thread titled "What the CLUNK!" :thumbsup:

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Define the thud it cured if you wouldn't mind. It seems many people are having several different types of noises and such coming from the drivetrain. The reports are so all over the place from so many posters that it's hard to say one man's thud is/isn't another man's clunk, lol. I'm highly confident it's coming from the diff. It's the lash of either the diff or possibly the half shafts as they engage/disengage. It happens low speed, low rpm only, shifting between 1-4, up or down. Right when I move the shifter to the start of the gate you hear it. I can hold the clutch in the entire time and slide between 1-2-1 while rolling and it does it at every gate entrance. When sitting idle, not moving, clutch in, there's not even a trace of the noise when moving between gears.

That's what's a little weird to me I guess. If the clutch is in all the way then there should be no load transferred to the diff. It's like the mere start of engagement of a gear, clutch fully depressed, provides JUST enough movement to the diff to engage it, and I'm hearing it.

Once the BMR springs get here I'll be removing the diff inserts to see if it goes away. At the same time I do plan to visit Tasca here locally for alignment after I get the springs installed and intend to have them look into it.

This is my third mustang, noises (especially drivetrain related) from adding performance parts aren't new to me, it's completely normal. However, this is my first Torsen and I'm curious if this is normal noise or an issue that could cause future problems if not handled. My gut tells me it's likely normal. Once I get more info I'll be sure to post up some results in a new thread titled "What the CLUNK!" :thumbsup:
I just had the thud when putting the transmission in 1st gear from a stop.

OP
OP
Gee

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I just had the thud when putting the transmission in 1st gear from a stop.
EDIT: That post didn't come out right. Aftermarket DS's seem to sometimes cure some of the noises that are out there that might be stock DS related or maybe even tranny related. Your input to the poster that asked specifically about the tranny thud applies, but might be solved with any aftermarket DS really. My point is that much investigation is needed for any thuds/clanks/clicks/clunks to come up with a potential solution. As for me, I've never had what's been described as a "tranny thud".

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gee

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Update on the clunk I mentioned above that was coming from the diff.

I installed the BMR springs (089/082) 2 weeks ago and it significantly decreased the low speed shifting clunk sound from the diff. I left the red diff bushing inserts in and was pleasantly surprised with the change. I would liken the sound now to pretty much what it was in stock condition, minimal.

As a second note, the lowered car with the Dynotech produced no change in NVH. Smooth as silk, zero vibration throughout all speeds and RPM's.

Very very happy with the combination of parts on the car now! Now.....which FI setup...:headbang:

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Update on the clunk I mentioned above that was coming from the diff.

I installed the BMR springs (089/082) 2 weeks ago and it significantly decreased the low speed shifting clunk sound from the diff. I left the red diff bushing inserts in and was pleasantly surprised with the change. I would liken the sound now to pretty much what it was in stock condition, minimal.

As a second note, the lowered car with the Dynotech produced no change in NVH. Smooth as silk, zero vibration throughout all speeds and RPM's.

Very very happy with the combination of parts on the car now! Now.....which FI setup...:headbang:
Procharge it!
Sponsored