Dyno

DanFish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT, 2015 Black Eco
I will be taking my car to the dyno to get a baseline run done before I install my COBB tune. I have an automatic so what gear should I have the shop dyno my car in?
Sponsored

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I believe the results are more accurate the closer you get to the 1:1 ratio. You could use an online calculator to see what's the highest gear you can use with the stock 145 mph speed limiter.

Cobb used both 3rd and 4th. I don't think the non-PP cars can reach redline in 4th with the stock speed limiter, not a problem for you.

wireless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White Ecoboost Premium
They should figure it out, but it'll be 3rd or 4th.

Good luck. My cobb results were: 249whp, 415wtq lol

OP
OP

DanFish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT, 2015 Black Eco
They should figure it out, but it'll be 3rd or 4th.

Good luck. My cobb results were: 249whp, 415wtq lol
Did you let the OAR fully adjust?

Sponsored

wireless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White Ecoboost Premium
Yes. Lol

It was a mustang dyno. i question the results though, stock was supposedly 252/352...

*shrug*

Cobb Plano ... heh.

Vinny@JLTPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I would have them do pulls in 3rd or 4th. While the 1:1 gear will typically get better results on most cars. On turbo cars the pull can be so long and build so much heat that the car will pull timing in the upper RPMS. You'll find peak HP will be very similar, the car will probably make a little better torque in a higher gear as it loads it up more.

The shop I use to work at we would do this in most of the Subaru's and other turbo 4's unless they were big power cars.

Drift-Office

Calibrator
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.driftoffice.com
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang ECOBoost / FRS / R32 / FC3S / AE86
Typically, we do them in 4th gear. On the EB in 5th, there's going to be too much heat soak (since the dyno cell can't replicate 100+MPH of wind) to have an accurate representation of what you're putting down.

My 2 cents!

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
352 tq stock? Really? Uhhh....
The dyno in Plano has often had issues with torque numbers. Their HP numbers are pretty solid in comparison with other dyno's. The torque is usually 15% high on their dyno, I used to live right next to them!

I'll have 15SVO's Auto EBM here Saturday and will let you know what I come up with for the best gear to do a pull in. My guess is 4th based off information I have been seeing.

Sponsored

greg hazlett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport
The dyno in Plano has often had issues with torque numbers. Their HP numbers are pretty solid in comparison with other dyno's. The torque is usually 15% high on their dyno, I used to live right next to them!

I'll have 15SVO's Auto EBM here Saturday and will let you know what I come up with for the best gear to do a pull in. My guess is 4th based off information I have been seeing.
Adam-that was 352 STOCK...that cannot be right when it is only rated at 320 to the crank from the factory.

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
Adam-that was 352 STOCK...that cannot be right when it is only rated at 320 to the crank from the factory.

I'm aware, and stock torque numbers on a dyno are about 270-280. So this one is about 20% off. Haha.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
On an automatic, 3rd is 1.52, 4th is 1.14, and 5th is 0.87. In most cases, you want as close to 1:1 as possible, so I'd go with 4th.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Sponsored