Sponsored

Drop of oil on oil filter

Shenkey58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT FASTBACK PERFORMANCE PACK 6 SPEED-WHITE
I find a drop of oil on the oil filter of my 2015 GT.This is the third oil and filter change-using the Motorcraft filter.I wipe everything as clean as possible-seems to take 200-300 miles-if I check the filter-there is just a drop hanging on it-never seems to actually drip off onto the plastic cover under engine and I never see a drop on garage floor.Just wondering if any of you see this also-all seems dry above the filter and I would think if filters were leaking,due to the pressure the 5.0 makes-there would be a much larger amount of oil leaking.The car has just over 4000 miles on it now.Maybe I am just too fussy but That is what I am seeing.Like I said-wondering if anyone else is seeing this on their 5.0.
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Tighten it a bit more.
How are you tightening it?
The manual says hand tight and then half turn.

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Are you putting any oil on the filter seal/ring when tightening it on? Maybe it just squeezes out when tightening and is dripping down. Sounds like it's not tight enough ?

Stripes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT 401a + Roush AB, MRT H-Pipe
I was reading the shop manual the other day for the 2015 GT's - it advised not to use oil to lube the filter's O-ring when re-assembling, despite conventional wisdom indicating to do so.. Maybe this is why.

OP
OP

Shenkey58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT FASTBACK PERFORMANCE PACK 6 SPEED-WHITE
Just got back from garage-after looking closer-there is an oily film above the filter-covering the oil cooler /line adapter assembly.I have wiped the filter clean on several occasions and the oil returns after a few hundred miles-not much of a leak but it returns.I also double checked the filter-was plenty tight. So-guess I call my Ford dealer in the morning-under warranty-so take advantage of it-never had it back for anything since picking it up in Nov. 2014.Thanks to all of you that gave me advice and am open to any suggestions you all may have.I will post the findings once I have it repaired.

Sponsored

Stripes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If there was enough of a leak to be of concern, you would notice your oil pressure drop when under load, or a change in your oil level - have you considered monitoring those?

Chances are, the Ford d-ship will tell you to watch these before bringing it in.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
If a heavy coating of oil was swiped across the oil filter seal sometimes its enough to make its way down as one drip.

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
If there was enough of a leak to be of concern, you would notice your oil pressure drop when under load, or a change in your oil level - have you considered monitoring those?

Chances are, the Ford d-ship will tell you to watch these before bringing it in.
If you're losing enough oil that you can tell on the oil pressure gauge, you've lost enough that the pickup is dry. And that's bad. Gravely bad.

There should not be any leaks or drips of oil anywhere.

Stripes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you're losing enough oil that you can tell on the oil pressure gauge, you've lost enough that the pickup is dry. And that's bad. Gravely bad.

There should not be any leaks or drips of oil anywhere.
You would notice this on an oil pressure gauge before you would ever see it on a dip stick, I'm assuming...

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
You would notice this on an oil pressure gauge before you would ever see it on a dip stick, I'm assuming...
You wouldn't loose oil pressure from a low level until way after the level doesn't even show up on the dipstick. If there's an oil leak, the first thing to do is monitor the dipstick level.

Last edited:

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I find a drop of oil on the oil filter of my 2015 GT.This is the third oil and filter change-using the Motorcraft filter.I wipe everything as clean as possible-seems to take 200-300 miles-if I check the filter-there is just a drop hanging on it-never seems to actually drip off onto the plastic cover under engine and I never see a drop on garage floor.Just wondering if any of you see this also-all seems dry above the filter and I would think if filters were leaking,due to the pressure the 5.0 makes-there would be a much larger amount of oil leaking.The car has just over 4000 miles on it now.Maybe I am just too fussy but That is what I am seeing.Like I said-wondering if anyone else is seeing this on their 5.0.
Found your problem.

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
My question is why have you changed oil 3 times at 4000 miles???