andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
whine video

Follow on thread to previous clunk thread..

The diff (or what I think is the diff) whined after the one piece driveshaft, frp half shafts, and BMR suspension install (details in signature). At normal cruise speed it was noticeable but not to loud, I could live with it. Went to the track last night and made three passes, and on the way home noticed it was way louder. Thought maybe it was just hot. Drove again today, cold and it is the same. Frequency and volume increase with speed, and if blip the throttle slightly it changes frequency (was doing this in the video). Is it time for some work on the diff or a replacement in order? Or is this driveshaft related?
Sponsored

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Rotated the driveshaft, same noise. Found a place in Magnolia, TX (Texas Auto Gear) that will put in gears and inspect everything. They aren't to far, hopefully get the rear end out soon.

Gregory347

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 PP1, 1987 Buick Grand National, 1985 Mustang
Had similar issue... after track.... differential mounting bolt was bent

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Had similar issue... after track.... differential mounting bolt was bent
Will look at those when I pull it. Could very well be that, had some wheel hop.

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Installer said wear pattern was on the heal, a d preload wasn't enough. His description of what was going on was spot on. When it was under load it pushed further down and would go back to a neutral position when not underload. He also indicated could be the aluminum housing giving some. Hopefully get the diff installed tonight for a test drive to see if the whine is gone.

IMG_20210527_153054.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Well it seems to be a little better, but still whines. I guess that is what it is going to be with the aluminum bushings and one piece. I might try the two piece again to see if it helps with the whine.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Did the shop put all new stuff in the rear diff? Gearset , bearings etc? I've had whine like that after beating my old car at the track. It seemed with lots of abuse I always took out one of the pinion bearings eventually. Car would start to scream at decel.

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Did the shop put all new stuff in the rear diff? Gearset , bearings etc? I've had whine like that after beating my old car at the track. It seemed with lots of abuse I always took out one of the pinion bearings eventually. Car would start to scream at decel.
Everything new

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
My car started developing the same noise but with much less volume but everyday it gets a little worse. :\ I have none of the mods you have though. Everything driveline related is stock. I guess it's good time to swap mine as well.
Sponsored