Double pumping brakes after new fluid and pads

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The pads were right. The problem was the piston on the caliper. It has a groove (or cutout) that should be in the right position to allow the pad and the piston to sit flat against each other. Because you are turning the piston to push it in and make space for the new pad, it is easy to turn the piston too far, and not aligning the groove correctly.
I need to look at this. Thanks for finding this out.
Sponsored

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
The pads were right. The problem was the piston on the caliper. It has a groove (or cutout) that should be in the right position to allow the pad and the piston to sit flat against each other. Because you are turning the piston to push it in and make space for the new pad, it is easy to turn the piston too far, and not aligning the groove correctly.
I have yet to touch the rear brakes.

OP
OP

sunfigt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guelo
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium PP
The other problem was an air bubble on the rear passenger side caliper. Have you opened the system at some point?

One additional note is that I did not "activated" the ABS using a software tool. However, I had a couple turns that I approached a little too fast :lol: ;)and engaged the ABS. That may have helped push air from the ABS down the line.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=13870]sunfigt[/MENTION] I pulled the rear calipers off and it was immediately obvious. The cutouts for turning the piston back in has to be lined up with the dimple on the pad. Mine were not, thus, the piston was only pressing on the dimple! Off for a drive soon to see how it feels.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So far, so good. Double pump doesn't seem to be necessary at all, and brakes are much quieter (haven't really heard anything). Whereas I was getting some decent squeal under light braking before, and a really annoying rear pad chirp chirp chirp when OFF the brakes occasionally, they seem to be dead quiet. I think I need another small bleed as I think I can still feel just a tiny bit of air still in there, but overall much better.

OP
OP

sunfigt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guelo
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium PP
Your pads are probably uneven now do to having force applied uneven. So clamping force might be reduced

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Your pads are probably uneven now do to having force applied uneven. So clamping force might be reduced
Possibly, though they were not obviously worn unevenly. I meant more in terms of pedal feel. It feels more consistent now but still seems like it should be firmer. Another bleed doesn't hurt.

bananafonez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt shadow black
I believe I have solved my brake issue too, but it wasn't the rear pads or air in the system, even though air did come out when I bled brakes. The culprit seems like it was a loose fron axle nut. I thought the wheel bea ring had gone out but as I started to begin install it was just a loose nut. I changed the wheel bearing either way and I am no longer loosing pedal pressure. I think the loose bearing was causing the abs sensor to act weird and sometimes open up the calipers.

OP
OP

sunfigt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guelo
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium PP
I believe I have solved my brake issue too, but it wasn't the rear pads or air in the system, even though air did come out when I bled brakes. The culprit seems like it was a loose fron axle nut. I thought the wheel bea ring had gone out but as I started to begin install it was just a loose nut. I changed the wheel bearing either way and I am no longer loosing pedal pressure. I think the loose bearing was causing the abs sensor to act weird and sometimes open up the calipers.
Ohhhh!! :eyebulge::eyebulge: That's sounds like it could have been really bad! Glad you checked them. Did you had the typical humming sound of a bearing going bad? How did you identify there was something wrong with the bearing?

Sponsored

TwinReverb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
What did you torque the front axle nut to?

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Chilton says, 251 lb.-ft. (340 Nm)

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
I believe I have solved my brake issue too, butm it wasn't the rear pads or air in the system, even though air did come out when I bled brakes. The culprit seems like it was a loose fron axle nut. I thought the wheel bea ring had gone out but as I started to begin install it was just a loose nut. I changed the wheel bearing either way and I am no longer loosing pedal pressure. I think the loose bearing was causing the abs sensor to act weird and sometimes open up the calipers.
A rotor that has runout, or wobbles will force the pads to retract further. That distance is felt by a longer stroke of the brake pedal
Sponsored