Door Panel Problem. Help Please.

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I noticed that my inner door panel is coming off the door near the side mirror. I asked the dealer about it but I'm out of the 3 year warranty even though the car only has 4500 miles. I can't get it to stay in place. I don't want to take the entire panel off to see what's up but I will if I have to. Has this happened to anyone?
Door Panel.jpg
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Has the door panel been removed to install aftermarket speakers, to fix any rattles, for PDR repair efforts, window tint installation or for the Ford Service repair for the 2015 S550 door latch TSB?

The reason I ask is:

1) There is a visible score mark seen on the top surface of the door panel, in close proximity of that corner gasket.

2) Where the top of the door panel is molded for that corner, it seems there is also is a stress fracture in the 90* bend. The stress fracture is white and about 1/2” in from the door edge. This type of fracture and discoloration would only happen if someone doesn’t know how to remove the door panel and was pulling hard enough on the top of it to try and remove it from the door.

Looking at your pic and making it larger, it also appears from the angle of the pic there is a tear in that gasket. Can you take any better pics to post?

OP
OP

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I'll take some more pics. Thanks for your help.

OP
OP

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Here are some more pictures. I might have gotten the door TSB done a few years ago. It's been so long I don't remember.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Looks like your door panel was not installed correctly either from the factory or from work done on the car. The top edge of the panel has to be the first to engage and be in position before the panel is pressed against the door. Looks like that wasn't the case when it was put back on. It will need to be removed and re-installed correctly. That metal hook sticking out in the last picture needs to engage the plastic wedge trim on the top of the door panel. Don't try to force it on. The door panel needs to come off completely and be installed right.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Looks like your door panel was not installed correctly either from the factory or from work done on the car. The top edge of the panel has to be the first to engage and be in position before the panel is pressed against the door. Looks like that wasn't the case when it was put back on. It will need to be removed and re-installed correctly. That metal hook sticking out in the last picture needs to engage the plastic wedge trim on the top of the door panel. Don't try to force it on. The door panel needs to come off completely and be installed right.

^^^^ THAT. I was going to reply in the same manner, because after seeing the additional pics, it’s clear that the door panel is not installed correctly, which will resolve the large gap between it and the gasket.

OP
OP

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I kind of figured that. I can probably do this myself. Does anyone have a diagram from a shop manual that shows how to take it off?

Thanks!!!
Sponsored