Door Latch Recall...

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I just wanted to add to this thread my experience, which has been sort of meh after having the door latch recall done.

I had never experienced any issues with my latches, when I asked the Ford tech what the recall meant to him he said there was a bad batch of them and just to be safe, Ford decided to offer replacements for everybody. Seems slightly odd that Ford would not know what batch affected what VIN# vehicles to match them up with, but it was what he thought anyhow. He had definitely done these before at our local dealer.

I brought my car in for an A/C issue at 23,000 miles, so they offered to do the door latch job as well.

Now that it's done, overall I would have opted not to but I haven't had a terrible experience either as some have posted here. When I look at the worn areas where the window has touched / rubbed the rubber seals previously, I can tell that the glass is now in a slightly different spot than it was before. It is a bit more forward (towards the front of the car) and settles a little higher once indexed. However, both windows are perfectly the same and I see no gaps anywhere. What little wind noise I do hear at say 60MPH or higher is really hard to know if it's any different than what I was hearing before and isn't driving me nuts (and I have very good hearing, I sell audio gear for recording studios for a living). I do see others reporting that it almost sounds like the window is slightly open now, this is definitely not the case here.

I also hear a random squeak when opening them at times (only had for a day now) and I believe it's because the glass is now wearing in new areas of the rubber so there is a bit more resistance until that settles. It is random though, and comes from the top which makes sense since again, they are indexing slightly higher.

Overall I would not do it again only because I never even thought about my windows or wind noise etc and now I'm slightly aware of it. I suspect in a short period of time it won't be on my mind as none of it is really bugging me terribly, and the tech did not leave me with any rattles or damage otherwise and certainly took the time to line the glass up very well (although not perfectly within the factory's settings or where it had settled after 23,000 miles). The fact that the glass settles in evenly along the top and within the small rubber triangular pocket (in the mirror area) perfectly to its limits tells me he did his best.
Sponsored

Hase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Guard GT Performance Package
Dropped mine off to do the recall and got a call half an hour later asking about "the gouge from the window switch to the door handle" Tech said it was there when he opened the door. I said no. Now I am waiting on an "interior repair guy" who will supposedly make it so that I cannot tell it was ever there....

Also checked on the rest of the panels after reading this thread. Both Top panels that house the window switch are loose and can be lifted 1/4 inch by hand...

hcappie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Had my recall done about a week ago. As I left the dealer, I noticed two notches on the passenger door armrest as if someone used a flathead screw driver to pry it open. Spun a u-turn and went back to the dealer. They apologized profusely and said they would take care of it. Got a call a few days later telling me the part was in. Today, they made me whole again by replacing the damaged panel. Unfortunately I had to take a day off of work for their mistake but otherwise I am happy they didn't complain and owned up to their mistake.

VirginiaF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard V6 051 Auto
Recall #20S30 Door Latch Repeat Repair

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...sues-two-safety-recalls-in-north-america.html

Has anyone else received notice of this recall?

My wife's car had the first latch recall done before we bought it.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...sues-two-safety-recalls-in-north-america.html

Thanks for the quick heads up!
Just called dealer who found my 2015 Vin is indeed in need of a re-repair from 2017.

Ford is designing a better pawl and will alert dealers "early 3rd quarter" for campaign.

Hold those door handles till then!

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV

Sc00ter

Sc00ter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow GT Premium w/50th Appearance

Do NOT get this recall done unless you have an issue, or the dealer tells you they've done many of these same latch replacements before. I had the first recall done just in case, and the Ford dealer that did my recall totally trashed my driver's side door. Snapped the door handle cable, mis-aligned the window, popped the nubs off the door panel that hold the window in place, water inside the door sill when it rained, etc. And they wouldn't acknowledge they didn't know how to fix it. It took five months, 6-7 visits, and a trip to the dealer where I bought the car (who pulled the door panel off and took pictures of what was broken inside the door - $200) to show dealer #1 to get it fixed.
Scarred me for life :(

Last edited:

1004ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 , 2017 Ford Edge Sport
Do NOT get this done unless you have an issue. I got the first recall done just in case, and the Ford dealer that did my recall totally trashed my driver's side door. Snapped the door handle cable, mis-aligned the window, popped the nubs off the door panel that hold the window in place, etc, And they wouldn't acknowledge they didn't know how to fix it...
I have been leaning towards NOT having this done for the very reasons you mention, and your post has swayed me even more in that direction.

Sc00ter

Sc00ter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow GT Premium w/50th Appearance
I have been leaning towards NOT having this done for the very reasons you mention, and your post has swayed me even more in that direction.
Yeah, I've always regretted having it done. Your car looks great, btw - those wide white stripes on the blue are a perfect combo.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Traded in my 15' EB last year with 51k on it. After reading all the horror stories I decided to not get it done. Never regretted not doing it.
Sponsored