Sponsored

Does the stock clutch line have a restrictor?

2Cool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP in CO
Just wondering if Ford did the same thing with our cars as they did with the Focus ST, installing a restrictor in the clutch fluid line to feather engagement of the clutch in the interest of increasing drivetrain durability.

Which mainly succeeded in glazing a lot of modified ST's clutch discs since it allowed a ton of slippage no matter how quickly you pedaled it, and also led to stuck pedals after hard runs.

A plus for Ford was they do not warranty clutches, while they do trannies. So creating the fail point in the clutch made for less warranty claims.

On my '14 FoST I had removed the clutch line and drove the restrictors (there were two) out with a drift and mallet. Made for much better clutch control and engagement, and much less sickly sweet burnt clutch disc smell after a hard launch.

Can anyone verify whether the S550 is the same? I know I get serious clutch smell after a hard acceleration, even if I dump the pedal.
Sponsored

derieuz

The Young Fella'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Interesting that this was never brought up, and I also do get the clutch smell from dumping the pedal sometimes, makes me wonder

OP
OP
2Cool

2Cool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Well, I will know soon enough. I ordered Steeda's braided clutch line and will see what the stock line looks like when I have it out. I was just hoping someone had already been in there and knew.

Triple Wile E

Paxton'd Wile E
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 TYPP Mustang GT
I'm ordering one myself I hope it helps with the high rpm lockout that I'm experiencing at the track and swap in some Dot 4 fluid and see what that gives me.

OP
OP
2Cool

2Cool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
I'm ordering one myself I hope it helps with the high rpm lockout that I'm experiencing at the track and swap in some Dot 4 fluid and see what that gives me.
That was one of the symptoms created by the restrictors on the FoST, hard use led to sticking pedals. Seemed to be a combination of hot fluid and rapid pedal use.

Sponsored

RustedAngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 350R HR215
This is interesting - I'd be curious to know as well. Maybe creating that fail point in the clutch is their resolve/cost solution to protect the sub-par MT82?

OP
OP
2Cool

2Cool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Looking at the top connectors I see no restrictor. Won't be able to tell on the bottom till I have it off.

Firepath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special yet
In the BRZ / 86 they have one built into the master cylinder. It could be a similar setup in the Mustang?

OP
OP
2Cool

2Cool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
I changed to the Steeda line today, and the install is a total PITA. Do not connect the top till you get the bottom snapped in, you need all the maneuverability you can get. Real tight quarters. Also, let the car cool, that tranny holds heat like a biotch.

The old line has no obvious restrictors, but when you try and blow through it there is a lot of resistance. The Steeda line has no such resistance, and so far pedal feel is hugely improved.
Sponsored