BigBen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
03 NSRT4 AGP/Borg Warner s256rs twin scroll
No WOT <3000.
Amen. Never go WOT until at least 3k (and also not until after the engine is up to operating temp). I always thought that this was common knowledge. I've known about it since I first started driving 17 years ago. I guess everyone didn't get the memo, lol. It's not just the ecoboost engine, don't do it on anything.

Keep in mind that when I say this, that I'm not talking about doing dyno or e-tune pulls or drag racing. I'm talking about while cruising in your top gear.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3L Ecoboost Mustang with PP
Amen. Never go WOT until at least 3k (and the engine is up to operating temp). I always thought that this was common knowledge. I've known about it since I first started driving 17 years ago. I guess everyone didn't get the memo, lol. It's not just the ecoboost engine, don't do it on anything.
I thought this was common knowledge for turbo 4bangers?

Hageln

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
I understand that lugging and WOT can be hard on a car, but it shouldn't freaking grenade a low mileage stock engine. :shrug:

ECM90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
No WOT <3000.

That's bull shit. Every dyno pull starts their WOT below 3k rpm. Adam asks you to data log 3rd gear WOT starting at 2k rpm.

No WOT <3000 is a horrible rule of thumb. It's more like no WOT in 6th gear below 1k rpm.

Sponsored

ECM90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
You really think a manufacture would put a 60k mile warranty on a motor that you can't press to the floor until half way through the powerband. Ford is the one who has to pay for it, they just simply would not have a car designed that way.

And as for the tune. Adam is safe as hell, he controls all the timing and when boost comes on. If it's not a safe level he doesn't let the car do it. I don't know what you guys are talking about not being able to control it it, he can open up the wastegate and have no boost depending on whatever condition is not met within his safe parameters.

Also, it's DRIVE BY WIRE, so me putting the pedal all the way to the floor doesn't have to necessarily equate to that (to the ecu) depending on the variables going on.

For instance look at valet mode. I can floor it to the ground and the result is no boost and it accelerates as if I have 5% throttle, not 100%. Same when you floor it with a tune your physically flooring it but it may not equate to that depending on the tune and the variables going on at the specific point in time. If the a/f and boost and all that ain't right and your at like 1k rpm, your WOT may be telling the ecu to only go 30% throttle.

But all you paranoids can go partial throttle until reaching half way through the powerband. I haven't heard of a single case of a basic bolt on tune+ blowing up. Some guys have 20k miles with the tune and I assure you they are doing WOT below 3k. You can't compare a few people who had a shitty tune blowing up their car to everyone. Hell, I could make a tune right now to blow up my engine, doesn't mean all the legit safe tunes out there are dangerous and you can't do WOT below 3k lol

Sup3rPat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost PP Gaurd
You really think a manufacture would put a 60k mile warranty on a motor that you can't press to the floor until half way through the powerband. Ford is the one who has to pay for it, they just simply would not have a car designed that way.

And as for the tune. Adam is safe as hell, he controls all the timing and when boost comes on. If it's not a safe level he doesn't let the car do it. I don't know what you guys are talking about not being able to control it it, he can open up the wastegate and have no boost depending on whatever condition is not met within his safe parameters.

Also, it's DRIVE BY WIRE, so me putting the pedal all the way to the floor doesn't have to necessarily equate to that (to the ecu) depending on the variables going on.

For instance look at valet mode. I can floor it to the ground and the result is no boost and it accelerates as if I have 5% throttle, not 100%. Same when you floor it with a tune your physically flooring it but it may not equate to that depending on the tune and the variables going on at the specific point in time. If the a/f and boost and all that ain't right and your at like 1k rpm, your WOT may be telling the ecu to only go 30% throttle.

But all you paranoids can go partial throttle until reaching half way through the powerband. I haven't heard of a single case of a basic bolt on tune+ blowing up. Some guys have 20k miles with the tune and I assure you they are doing WOT below 3k. You can't compare a few people who had a shitty tune blowing up their car to everyone. Hell, I could make a tune right now to blow up my engine, doesn't mean all the legit safe tunes out there are dangerous and you can't do WOT below 3k lol
Over 20k miles with tune+ and countless WOT runs below 3k and she's holding strong :ford:
The sky is not falling

Hageln

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Over 20k miles with tune+ and countless WOT runs below 3k and she's holding strong :ford:
The sky is not falling
20k miles aint exactly high mileage though. I'm kinda worried about our dear 2.3's lifecycles.

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP

Mine let go at 50% or so throttle in 3rd gear. Just driving along...

Sponsored

ECM90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
True, 20k isn't that long but these cars have only been out a year, it's the highest current example. Just wait 5 more years and [MENTION=14194]Sup3rPat[/MENTION] will report back at 100k.

I'm sure you'll reply with 100k isn't that long. Just keep waiting. The next gen will be out by then and you can repeat process of saying not enough proven mileage.

If you need high mileage examples look to the tuned Mazdaspeed3, our motor is very similar to that, built up with some forged components.

Those guys run tunes and have well over 100k and they basically have the same 2.3 but a WEAKER version.

I just glanced through their threads and found one with 143k miles with a Cobb tune.

Hageln

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
The hell? Any details on this? Were you running a boostmax or something?

ECM90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang

So many variables. Who tuned it? What fuel were you running, what bolt on's, what oil, did you even have enough oil (if you even bother to check).

Either way as he said 50% throttle, nothing to do with WOT apparently haha.

As I stated I could literally open up my computer change a couple parameters, load it on my AP, drive at 50% throttle and have the same result, as with ANY car. I could advance timing to a ridiculous amount and disregard every safe limiter and make it as lean as possible and unleash boost, kaboom. Doesn't mean our motor is shit. Who tuned it?

Brad

Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S - Big Turbo EB
So many variables. Who tuned it? What fuel were you running, what bolt on's, what oil, did you even have enough oil (if you even bother to check).

Either way as he said 50% throttle, nothing to do with WOT apparently haha.

As I stated I could literally open up my computer change a couple parameters, load it on my AP, drive at 50% throttle and have the same result, as with ANY car. I could advance timing to a ridiculous amount and disregard every safe limiter and make it as lean as possible and unleash boost, kaboom. Doesn't mean our motor is shit. Who tuned it?
Fftec most likely. I don't know what device they use though.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Research the LSPI and Direct Injected Turboed Engines ..

If what I have found has credability Ford is very aware of the Possibility of these Engines fatal flaw with Lubricating Oils causing a predetonation inside a cumbustion chamber causing the Piston to implode because IT is being Fatigued from a reverse Rotation ....

Run a full Synthetic that does not accumulate in the upper cylinder and cause predetonations !
Sponsored