Sponsored

Does the 2.3 have a glass jaw??

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
It seems a lot of people who are scared of this have never dealt with turbo DI cars before, especially high power turbo DI cars. This is prevelant in all DI motors, especially turbo cars due to the boost. GTIs. Focus STs, and speed3s have seen these issues for years. Albeit since some of those have a larger turbo, their case won't be as bad. A larger turbo will help, as the high boost won't be as prevelant in those high load low RPM situations.

Shit plug ins to alter boost levels will make these cases much more common. A good tune will make it safer, and the tuner can create their own safety net and conditions. However, LSPI is still quite tricky to understand and is difficult to completely eliminate. Drive smart. You can easily floor it in first at low RPM and be fine. Just don't floor it when you're in a higher hear, especially not your overdrive gear. This is becoming way overblown. This should all be for awareness, not fear.
Sponsored

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
It has $10 connecting rods. That is all that stands between you and a windowed block, $40 worth of rods. It is shameful on Ford's part if you ask me.

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
I posted this on the facebook group, but I will post it here as well.

"We should make this a sticky....
1. Should I buy an Ecoboost Mustang? We don't know, only you will know if you want one by going and driving one.

2. Is my engine going to blow up? Depends, are you going to take care of your car like you did your bike when you were 2 years old? Are you going to try and make 500whp with pump gas? Are you going to drive on the factory fill oil until 10,000 miles?
If you answer yes to any of these, the answer is yes, your engine is going to blow up. You should also buy something else, or go stand in a corner.
If you answer no to any of these, the answer is probably not. It is up to you to make sure you take the proper steps to avoid any scenario that might be unhealthy for your car. If you buy a MT Ecoboost Mustang don't floor it at 2,000rpms in 6th gear because you like the way the torque feels. If you buy an AT I recommend using the paddle shifters (while in drive) to downshift into 5th before flooring it on the highway. The factory tune upshifts too early and doesn't downshift as it should. If you plan on tuning your car, I recommend using a tuner that changes the downshift scheduling in the tune such as myself.

3. Is there anything you can do to prevent the motor from blowing up? To a point, I incorporate 2 safety factors to prevent low speed pre-ignition on these vehicles. It doesn't guarantee you that your motor won't blow from another reason nor does it give you the ability to do anything I mentioned above that could potentially damage your motor.
Final thought - These cars are great, there is nothing for you to be afraid of if you own one or you are thinking of buying one. Take care of it like you would your favorite child, not the one that doesn't listen and leaves lego's in the middle of the living room.
No if's, and's, or but's. If you are afraid of the car, it's not for you!"

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3L Ecoboost Mustang with PP
Outside of not flooring it in high gear @ low RPM's any other suggestions to be on the safe side?

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
Outside of not flooring it in high gear @ low RPM's any other suggestions to be on the safe side?
That is pretty much the main reasons why these motors blow up, so nothing else really.

Sponsored

Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 300A w/ Brembo's
Well, we are certainly on borrowed time but our car just made 551rwhp 569rwtq on the stock motor with our upgraded turbo kit and secondary fuel system. We'll have track results soon but don't ask us how long the stock motor will live. We have no idea lol

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
Well, we are certainly on borrowed time but our car just made 551rwhp 569rwtq on the stock motor with our upgraded turbo kit and secondary fuel system. We'll have track results soon but don't ask us how long the stock motor will live. We have no idea lol
Good god.

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
Dayum!!!! :cheers:

Sponsored

superblur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang
I posted this on the facebook group, but I will post it here as well.

"...Are you going to try and make 500whp with pump gas?..."
Do you not think that will be possible with a bigger turbo and maybe ported heads/cams? I understand that e85 or a mix of it is the holy grail for turbo cars, but there is something to be said about being able to fill up at most gas stations with 93 and still have plenty of power to boot.

Edit: Or is the poor flowing head what is holding this engine back from good pump gas numbers?

Last edited:

ECM90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
[MENTION=19118]Tune+[/MENTION] I've seen you recommend Motul 8100 x-cess or Rotella t6 motor oil. I've also heard of some people stepping up in weight. What's the benefit of this and what viscosity do you recommend to mitigate LSPI and receive the best engine protection?

ECM90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
What is e85? sorry for newbie question....

85% ethanol, 15 % gasoline. Benefits is much higher octane than the 93 offered at the standard gas pump. Allows for advance in timing which equals more power.

To run you need a tune and upgraded injectors and fuel pump. This highest you can go on stock setup is e35 I believe.

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31