Sponsored

Does HPDE Void New Mustang Warranty?

Cougxor

BYU Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium; A10; PP1
I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times on this forum..sorry for the noob question.

Anyone have a direct/clear answer from Ford on whether using a new Mustang for HPDE voids the warranty?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Cougxor

Cougxor

BYU Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hasn't voided mine. Why would you tell them you went on track?
I'm assuming a scenario where they pull the data and question the activity that lead to a problem that should be covered under warranty.

Have you ever had a warranty repair done after doing a track day?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Sure have. Radiator fans replaced, exhaust mid-pipe on driver side replaced, steering rack inspected and reset, oil cam phaser things on the passenger side of the engine replaced.
They won't touch my suspension because it's mostly replaced now and if I had a transmission issue, because I have an MGW shifter, I'd expect a fight.

Dealer isn't going to spend time checking "history" unless you pop your engine and that's not likely unless you have a terrible tune, go way too high in RPM and stay there on the limiter and blow out your oil pump gear.

Your biggest worry should be brake fluid and tires.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Sure have. Radiator fans replaced, exhaust mid-pipe on driver side replaced, steering rack inspected and reset, oil cam phaser things on the passenger side of the engine replaced.
They won't touch my suspension because it's mostly replaced now and if I had a transmission issue, because I have an MGW shifter, I'd expect a fight.

Dealer isn't going to spend time checking "history" unless you pop your engine and that's not likely unless you have a terrible tune, go way too high in RPM and stay there on the limiter and blow out your oil pump gear.

This...these cars (well the PP and GT350's) have a TRACK mode, they expect you to use them on such.....:ford::headbang:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cougxor

Cougxor

BYU Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Gotcha - Thanks for the insights!

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I just finished reading a thread in the GT350 section where the dealer denied service to the guy because he was "racing". It was an untimed HPDE.

Here's my take, I fully expect that if I have an issue, especially drivetrain issues, and the stealer finds out it has been on track, or sees some track type mods, they will deny coverage. Then the fight with Ford will begin though I don't expect any success there either. I pretty much assume that once you start doing "stuff" with your car the stealer is going to bow out, so be prepared with cheque book and find a better garage.

All dealings I have ever had with Ford's dealer service gave me zero confidence that they will be of any use with a warranty claim on a tracked/modified car.

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
Yes, be careful what you say to the Ford dealer. I got tired of arguing with them, and traded my Mustang in for an ā€˜18 Camaro SS. One look at the Mishimoto oil cooler and all hell broke loose with them.

Chevy covers HPDE on SS and above as long as you donā€™t mod. They even have a track prep guide with all sorts of setup info for the track.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford gives info on this too:

https://imgur.com/PEqNw7p

Right, and that last paragraph pretty much says it all. Ford likes to promote the track stuff at the pro levels and hopes that aura smears off onto the road cars, but not so good at standing behind your road car when you actually use it on track, even for just HPDE.

Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, be careful what you say to the Ford dealer. I got tired of arguing with them, and traded my Mustang in for an ā€˜18 Camaro SS. One look at the Mishimoto oil cooler and all hell broke loose with them.

Chevy covers HPDE on SS and above as long as you donā€™t mod. They even have a track prep guide with all sorts of setup info for the track.
Yes, and you get the fluid coolers that Ford tells us we should install for track use. Too bad that's such an ugly car with such poor ergonomics, the SS1 1LE would be a much better plug and play track car than even a PP2 Mustang.

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, and you get the fluid coolers that Ford tells us we should install for track use. Too bad that's such an ugly car with such poor ergonomics, the SS1 1LE would be a much better plug and play track car than even a PP2 Mustang.
Oooo... did you just insult my new car? :paddle:

Ford told me to install the fluid coolers, then the dealer gave me hell for installing them. The Camaro has diff, M/T, and a big coolant to oil heat exchanger. It has 3 radiators. Plenty of cool for track day weekends for me. The Mustang would go into limp mode.

Look, it killed me to get rid of the Mustang. I loved that car. And Yes, I think the Mustangs are better looking.

But, I can tell you that after a few hours behind the wheel of the Camaro, you get use to the visibility issue. the seats are great, and I do like the looks.

The only two demerits I'll give it is lack of small item storage on the inside, and the small trunk.

Other than that, it is a nice place to be for the other 355 days I'm not on the track!

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD

Ford told me to install the fluid coolers, then the dealer gave me hell for installing them. The Camaro has diff, M/T, and a big coolant to oil heat exchanger. It has 3 radiators. Plenty of cool for track day weekends for me. The Mustang would go into limp mode.

Look, it killed me to get rid of the Mustang. I loved that car. And Yes, I think the Mustangs are better looking.

But, I can tell you that after a few hours behind the wheel of the Camaro, you get use to the visibility issue. the seats are great, and I do like the looks.

The only two demerits I'll give it is lack of small item storage on the inside, and the small trunk.

Other than that, it is a nice place to be for the other 355 days I'm not on the track!
Don't blame you. I'd love to snatch up a 1LE. I was giving the PP-2 a consideration, but still MT82, no diff or trans coolers, oil cooler is a warmer after a while. Ug... if I had the cash flow to sell and buy again, I'd get the 1LE. Thankfully Steeda has made my car excellent, but I still have to slap on coolers and other BS that the competition offers stock. Ug!

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I intended to order a 1le the day I went into the dealer. But, they had a used 18 2ss on the lot with 175 miles (not a typo). Previous owner special ordered it, brought it home to surprise the wife. She saw it was a manual trans, and told him to take it back!

So, I got a decent deal. And I liked all the goodies that comes with the 2ss. Bose sounds awesome.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Totally failed to note that you have bought one already. My apologies. Ugly was a poor choice of words, too harsh, let's just say it's got some things about the styling that I find not tremendously appealing. However, the mechanical parts of the car are outstanding. Have to give GM full points for putting all the good stuff in that car and Ford should take a lesson from that, I can't believe they sent the PP2 out with no coolers.

Perhaps the best thing I can say to atone for my insult is that if I was going to buy a pony car now for sure it would be the SS1 1LE. I value the mechanics and track prowess much higher than the styling. And I mean that in all seriousness. Enjoy the car!
Sponsored