Sponsored

Does anyone know how to safely remove this trim piece?

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
It's a good idea to put some foam in-between your hand and the windshield. I've witness someone cracking their windshield taking that off. It doesn't come off easy.
That is a heck of a hit.

Richard
Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
The buzzing I hear sounds like it's coming from directly behind my left ear on the driver side
That's exactly how mine was.

When it is happening, take your hand and gently press above your head towards the window, but inward more/not on the "curve" of the frame (where the headliner dips for more headroom).

I was able to just apply gentle pressure/press down a bit and make the sound go away and that's how I narrowed down that spot, even though it sounds like it is coming from behind. (sounds can also be very weird and travel/sound like they are coming from a different place)

Just a suggestion! I was ready to remove the rear interior trim behind me too.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
That is a heck of a hit.

Richard
I will also add taking it off was difficult, but getting it back into place caused the biggest lump of I-fucked-up to form in my throat for a bit. You really have to fight get it back into a place where it even seems like it will fit back in.

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Just asking, but do you think the buzz/rattle is above your head? I would bet anything it's the side curtain airbag harness/canister if so.

I had this on both sides of my '20, on the passenger side I removed all the interior trim to lower the headliner a bit (including the seatbelt) and I stuffed fuzzy furniture wafers, double stacked, up in between the side curtain airbag canister and its harness. That was a lot of work.

Then my driver side had the same noise, and I thought what if I just used a trim removal pry tool or two to pry down the headliner enough to insert those wafers?

Well I did that - pulled back the rubber trim, inserted plastic trim removal tools, gently moved/inserted more till I had enough space to get in there, was able to eliminate the noise without ripping it all apart.

This definitely solved my rattle/buzz that I had for the past two years.
Are those pins I drew arrows on known to be loose or not pushed in all the way? Maybe this is causing the buzzing I hear on the freeways on driver side.

Inked8CC3647B-A3A9-4C4F-B0A7-D403E010F2BF_LI.jpg

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Are those pins I drew arrows on known to be loose or not pushed in all the way? Maybe this is causing the buzzing I hear on the freeways on driver side.

Inked8CC3647B-A3A9-4C4F-B0A7-D403E010F2BF_LI.jpg
I do not know that sorry!

Sponsored

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
I do not know that sorry!
Gotcha thanks for the info anyways,

Where did you find a step by step on how to properly remove the weatherstrip and side curtain areas? Basically the exposed areas in the pic. I'm assuming everything can be safely removed and put back snug, including the weatherstrip?

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Where did you find a step by step on how to properly remove the weatherstrip and side curtain areas?
That I can't answer as well, I was able to apply all my fixes and get at those areas without removing the weather stripping. I don't think it's at all necessary tho I read some here who did remove it.
Sponsored