Sponsored

Do you think Ford will ever show love to the V6?

Rough Hollow Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
Poor poor reading comprehension!

Your wrong. 87-93 didn't have any v6. And that's exactly what I said. Even admitted I didn't. Know about before hand and I wasn't going look it up. What I said was correct (although my math was wrong)

Besides, my whole point is that the original numb nuts comment of 50 years with v6 was completely wrong.
Hey, Dufus ...go back and read my post. I said that for 50 years there have been naturally aspirated six engines in Mustangs. I never said V-6s. I would not hold you to know anything about the sixes that were offered before you were born...they were called "Thriftpower Inline 6". The six cylinder Mustangs have been around longer than you have I'm fairly certain. But be careful who you call "numb nuts" Mr. SVT Freak.
Sponsored

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
Your wrong. 87-93 didn't have any v6. And that's exactly what I said. Even admitted I didn't. Know about before hand and I wasn't going look it up. What I said was correct (although my math was wrong)

Besides, my whole point is that the original numb nuts comment of 50 years with v6 was completely wrong.
What you actually wrote was:

1. "Prior to 1994, it was v8 or naturally aspirated 4. No v6 in the lineup." Wrong. Are the 60's-1986 not prior to 1994? Of course they are, and those years all offered some form of 6cycl.

2. "I am not sure when it changed, but it was 85 or earlier. 10 years without a v6. And that was 21 years." Wrong. 87-93 were the only years without a v6, a period of 6 years, not 10.

It's not like you're that far off, but come on. If you insist that someone get their facts straight, even go so far as to refer to them as "numbnuts", you could at least check your own facts first.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
They are claiming 200lbs not 300. Its doubtful they drop even 200.
Not accurate.

The 200lb or more comment refers to the whole line.

200lbs is for the SS. Around 300lb for the V6 and around 300lbs+ for the Turbo 4.

They have said this multiple times and in multiple venues. Autoblog has the V6 review and they specifically said the V6 dropped around 300lbs.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand or believe. Do you think they after being asked this over and over and over are going to make the same mistake Ford did and get caught in a lb per lb misquote? This is one of many interviews where they are asked over and over specifically and they are pretty blunt...yes its V6 to V6. Do you notice they call out Ford on the IRS weight gain when Ford said the '15 was losing lbs.

AO: We looked at the sixth-generation Camaro after the first year of the fifth-generation Camaro as part of the normal development process. The big thing for us is we wanted to take advantage of Alpha's structural efficiency, and the biggest thing is we're starting with at least a 200-pound weight reduction. We've got a chance to take what they've done so well with the Cadillac products (CTS, ATS) and make a Camaro out of it.

We wanted to take advantage of this lightweight, efficient, and structurally superior architecture. In a sense, remove the stigma of mass from the Camaro. I'll give you an interesting thought here: The Mustang went from solid axle to independent rear suspension. Engineers know that you're going to add about 150 pounds to do that. Just the physics of IRS. We go from fifth gen to sixth gen, still have IRS, but we have a 300-pound weight reduction on the V6 to the V6. So somehow we were able to do it.

AB: So the V6 to V6 is 300 pounds lighter?

AO: Yes. That's why we say more than 200 [pounds], because you've got to start talking about all of the models. So the V8, we say is over 200 [pounds lighter] to its predecessor. The V6 is actually closer to 300. It's just under 300 to its V6 predecessor.

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
Not accurate.

200lbs is for the SS. Around 300lb for the V6 and around 300lbs+ for the Turbo 4.

They have said this multiple times and in multiple venues. Autoblog has the V6 review and they specifically said the V6 dropped around 300lbs.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand or believe. Do you think they after being asked this over and over and over are going to make the same mistake Ford did and get caught in a lb per lb misquote? This is one of many interviews where they are asked over and over specifically and they are pretty blunt...yes its V6 to V6. Do you notice they call out Ford on the IRS weight gain when Ford said the '15 was losing lbs.
Depends on how they compare. The Camaro is implementing a lot of new technologies in the 16 that was not offered in previous gen. Are they comparing a model to a 16 bare boned? I'm thinking most people will be enticed to get all the feature comforts in the 16 and find out they have a porker.

Lord Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT Mustang
The Camaro's interior is hideous. (Outside as well tbh.) Also the 4 cylinder has less hp than the Mustang and is comparable to a BMW 4 series. Why would anyone buy a Camaro over a BMW? There's a reason the 5th gen Camaro was withdrawn from the European market: Noone wants it here.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
The Camaro's interior is hideous. (Outside as well tbh.) Also the 4 cylinder has less hp than the Mustang and is comparable to a BMW 4 series. Why would anyone buy a Camaro over a BMW? There's a reason the 5th gen Camaro was withdrawn from the European market: Noone wants it here.
No way, really?

I don't think the new Camaro looks back personally, I'd love to see one of my friends get one so we could have a race (At Raceway park) and then see who gets more attention as well

Current Gen though, definitely get a Challenger over a it

Waldorf

Old School
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3Y PP
The V6 is the forgotten, sometimes not noticed among all the commotion.
Sad, but true. It's the sell-up car. Want leather? Not in a V6. Want Recaro's? Not in a V6. Want bigger brakes? Not in a V6. Want other goodies that are available on the EcoBoost or GT? Not in a V6. It'll only be around as long as they're able to use it to sell the EB or GT. V6 sales this year are under 20% of total Mustang sales IIRC.

A shame really. 6 bolt center mains, variable cam timing, and gets decent mileage.

Total V6 options for 2016: Racing stripes, 18" foundry wheels, enhanced security package, reverse park assist, spare tire and wheel, and 3.55 differential. La Dee Da.

That is all...

sandpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
The 3.7 is a good engine.
Ford is putting it's future eggs in the Ecoboost basket and I think Ford was afraid to go cold turkey into the Ecoboost. There seems to be an American preference for a NA engine. Hp and mileage are kinda close, so Ford held out the premium trim to push the Ecoboost.

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
% of sales is one thing. But total number of units is another. If you only look at the v6 accounting for around 20%, it looks low like it's got a foot out the door. But at the rate this generation is selling, that 20% could be more total units sold than previous year v6 units that showed a higher percent of sales.

In other words, 20% of sales this year equals A LOT more cars than 20% would have equaled last year... or the year before... I'm not saying the v6 sold 20% last year or any other year - I don't know that info. Just saying that 20% seems low at first glance, but doesn't tell the whole story.

sandpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
That 20% would have been higher if they offered the v6 with the premium trim.

Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
+1 When i was looking to get a Mustang and on the Ford website to build a Mustang i found out i really couldn't get a lot of the options i wanted hence why i went with the EB.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Somebody give the man a cigar!!!:cheers:It just seams like bad business to withhold high profit options in the V6! I fully understand they are trying to steer buyers toward the EB but It seams like they are stepping over a dollar to pick up dimes in the future. The newness will wear off the S550 and sales will level out. Just like the sales of 2010 Camaros. When that happens they'll be wishing they offered the expensive options on every car they sold in 2015.

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
Somebody give the man a cigar!!!:cheers:It just seams like bad business to withhold high profit options in the V6! I fully understand they are trying to steer buyers toward the EB but It seams like they are stepping over a dollar to pick up dimes in the future. The newness will wear off the S550 and sales will level out. Just like the sales of 2010 Camaros. When that happens they'll be wishing they offered the expensive options on every car they sold in 2015.
I don't know. For them it may be as simple as a sale is a sale. I've heard people say they wanted a v6, but went with the eco because of the options. I haven't heard people say they wanted a v6, and didn't even get a Mustang because of the lack of v6 options. It only hurts Ford if people shy away. According to sales that doesn't seem to be the case.

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Not accurate.

No blog has weighed the new camaro they are repeating what chevy is saying lol. You can believe what you want but I dont think they will end up being 200lbs lighter in the SS or 300lbs lighter in the v6. They dropped a couple inches in length and have added heavier features to the car. Its still gonna be around 3900-4000lbs when somebody rolls it across a scale. And for the record I like both ford and chevy. I have a chevy truck and a Cobalt.

Zeenobit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang 3.7L V6
Exactly. My theory is that if Ford offered the V6 Premium, the EcoBoost sales would drop very very fast. What do you think is the percentage of people who went for the Non-Premium EcoBoost?
Sponsored