Do you consider the GT350 a Shelby?

Do you consider the GT350 a Shelby

• Total voters

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
I consider it a Shelby because if Carroll Shelby were alive he would definitely approve of this car.
Sponsored

GBGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT350 W/lightning blue stripes
I do not believe it to be a Shelby. The original Shelby's were modified at a location off site post creation. So to be honest and some may not like what I say but the Roush cars are more like Shelby's than our Shelby's.

I will also chime in and say that our cars are more like Boss Mustangs. Than a Shelby.

So then I get to thinking I agree that Ford appears to be moving away from the Shelby name. That said I also believe Ford is very staunch when it comes to Anniversaries. If you think about it. Ford has already announced that the GT350 will return for 2018. That said I would not expect the next special edition Mustang to appear until 2019. 2019 would mark the 50th anniversary for two special Mustangs. in 1969 the Boss 429 and Mach 1 first appeared. So this is what I think. I believe we will see a Mach 1 and Boss 429. I believe a little of all the rumors are correct. So get this what about a repeat of 2003 and 2004. When the Mach 1 and Cobra were on the scene. One supercharged and one not. My prediction we will see another Mach1 which will be the NA car and a Boss 429 which will be a supercharged monster. A naturally aspirated 7.0 for the Mach1 and a supercharged version of the same for the Boss 429.

Call me crazy but I think I am not far off. And then a Bullitt which will be a CPC version of our VooDoo GT350.

All speculation and I have no evidence but just a gut feeling. Ford is working on something big.

Or maybe the Mach1 is a CPC version of the 5.2 and the Boss 429 will be a NA 7.0 but both will return in 2019.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
No. I don't believe in making blanket statements and generalizations. In the last 3 years I have owned a C7, GT350 and a Hellcat. I'm not one of "them" as you say.:shrug:
Don't bother with this guy. It's been pretty apparently that as much as he talks about GM and MOPAR fanboys, he can't seem to get off of his own koolaid. The GT350 is not the end all be all of cars. But it's working mighty fine for me and yet I can be humble and appreciate other products as well because they're fun for their own reasons. In fact, a C7 GS, a Charger Hellcat, and a GT350R would be quite a damn fine garage.

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
The internet sales listing when I found mine said Shelby GT350R, the window sticker says Shelby GT350R, the dash says Shelby, the front chin splitter says Shelby, the car cover says Shelby GT350, my sales contract says Shelby, my insurance card says Shelby, my loan says Shelby, the Shelby GT350 owner's supplement kit invited me to join team Shelby. It might just be a Shelby.

Which is a great thing... if it weren't a Shelby I would probably be driving a Z06 like a million other people right now. Opportunity knocked and I ran thru that door!

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Of course the GT350 is a Shelby. But in what context of mattering? Whether if it were called GT350, Mach 1, or otherwise, it would still perform the same. The name doesn't change the mechanics. I bought this car because of its capability, not because it was a Shelby.

Sponsored

GBGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT350 W/lightning blue stripes
Of course the GT350 is a Shelby. But in what context of mattering? Whether if it were called GT350, Mach 1, or otherwise, it would still perform the same. The name doesn't change the mechanics. I bought this car because of its capability, not because it was a Shelby.
I agree. Not trying to start anything. I just feel the real Shelby's were modified post creation offsite and that makes a Roush more like the original Shelby's than our cars. I mean no offense. I also don't believe it makes our cars any less special.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I may be one of the few people here that owned a 1966 Shelby GT350 and now a 2016 Shelby GT350. The original car was terrible to drive in the City (San Francisco). The clutch was so stiff, you had to put the car in neutral at stop lights just to give your leg a rest. Girls hated the car because it had side exhaust and no undercoating, so it was very loud inside and in traffic the exhaust fumes would choke you. My car was a "carry over" so it had all the teeth chattering suspension upgrades (konis, lowered front A-arms, heavy duty springs, etc.). This car was basically a race car that was barely legal for the streets (cops pulled me over for it being too loud). But let it stretch its legs and performance wise, it was a blast to drive hard; especially on my many trips down Highway 1 (pacific coast highway) to Santa Cruz. Now compare that car to the 2016 model, there is only one similarity - they both drive like a Shelby designed car. The newer models are every bit a Shelby. The engineers went to great lengths to emulate the performance of the original car and they, IMO, succeeded. You change the driving mode to sport or track and you feel the same "gusto" the original car delivered on the track. Yes, the newer car is more powerful, but it is a Shelby.
As you know more than the rest of us your "Carry Over" '66 Shelby GT350 had all of the terrific attributes of the original '65 model and those throaty glass pack mufflers were really something to behold. How they were road legal back then is beyond me!

Unfortunately quite some time ago I passed on buying a couple of '65 models and probably some of the biggest mistakes of my automotive journey but thanks to a great car buddy I was able to experience his '65 GT350 and it was something else.

Very crude with the Detroit Locker rear end making all sorts of crazy sounds but what a machine they were back then.

Carroll and his team did not manufacture any Shelby cars but they were the best tuners and created the best modifications of all time and took the Mustang to levels that even Ford never dreamed of during those first 3 years of the Shelby line up.

It has been just over 5 years since Carroll left us and I would suggest that he would be very proud of all of the performance/styling levels of the new GT350/GT350R's that the Ford Motor Company has come up with.

As Ford did with the 2012/2013 Boss 302 cars they have even taken the Shelby GT350/GT350R's to another level and I am sure that Carroll is looking down on us with a big Texas smile as we continue to enjoy his legacy and these new Shelby automobiles.

Thank you Carroll and thank you Ford for these new generation Shelby cars!!

:ford:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I agree. Not trying to start anything. I just feel the real Shelby's were modified post creation offsite and that makes a Roush more like the original Shelby's than our cars. I mean no offense. I also don't believe it makes our cars any less special.
I don't think you're trying to start something. Sometime people just take things way too overboard as you can see. Back when Shelby actually was collaborating with Ford, it was probably a bigger deal but Roush did more development with the GT350 than Shelby America did. And that makes sense since Roush Yates actually mills, builds, and engineers Ford Performance racing engines from NASCAR to Formula D and everything in between on the strip, track, oval, dirt, and even water (obviously not Ford automotive). Shelby Am in my mind is just another tuning company bolting on parts you can buy right off of any catalog.

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
I may be one of the few people here that owned a 1966 Shelby GT350 and now a 2016 Shelby GT350. The original car was terrible to drive in the City (San Francisco). The clutch was so stiff, you had to put the car in neutral at stop lights just to give your leg a rest. Girls hated the car because it had side exhaust and no undercoating, so it was very loud inside and in traffic the exhaust fumes would choke you. My car was a "carry over" so it had all the teeth chattering suspension upgrades (konis, lowered front A-arms, heavy duty springs, etc.). This car was basically a race car that was barely legal for the streets (cops pulled me over for it being too loud). But let it stretch its legs and performance wise, it was a blast to drive hard; especially on my many trips down Highway 1 (pacific coast highway) to Santa Cruz. Now compare that car to the 2016 model, there is only one similarity - they both drive like a Shelby designed car. The newer models are every bit a Shelby. The engineers went to great lengths to emulate the performance of the original car and they, IMO, succeeded. You change the driving mode to sport or track and you feel the same "gusto" the original car delivered on the track. Yes, the newer car is more powerful, but it is a Shelby.
Id take an original 1965-66 GT350 / R over my 2016 track pack or new R any day. Those are "real" cars in my opinion. The 289, top loader, 9", koni, etc ruled.

OP
OP
Zombo

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Id take an original 1965-66 GT350 / R over my 2016 track pack or new R any day. Those are "real" cars in my opinion. The 289, top loader, 9", koni, etc ruled.
Too each their own, but, as i recall, Jay Leno, who owns both said something along the lines of, referring to the new GT350: This is such a better car. How can it not be?

Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I agree only if it were a resto mod with a complete 2017 Shelby GT350 under the 65-66 body. :clap2:

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
I agree only if it were a resto mod with a complete 2017 Shelby GT350 under the 65-66 body. :clap2:
As cool as that would be, I'd rather have all original.

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
Too each their own, but, as i recall, Jay Leno, who owns both said something along the lines of, referring to the new GT350: This is such a better car. How can it not be?
You can not compare a 65-66 to a 15-18.
The 65-66 is way cooler.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Why do you not consider your 2016 Track Pack car a "real car"?

Have you ever driven a '65 or '66 GT350 which I highly doubt and of course I am sure that you have not driven a 1965 R model and they did not exist in 1966?

Since you have not I can tell you first hand that they were a hand full and great back in the day but something to behold in todays era of HP cars.

The reason that I got away from the 60's cars in the last few years and moved over to the new generation GT500's, Boss 302's and GT350/GT350R's was because of the fun factor and much more reliability.

I am sure that you realize that a nice '65 GT350 is now pushing ~$400,000 with a '65 GT350R pushing the $1,000,000 mark so from a financial standpoint not much to think about there.

I sold all of my old muscle cars and happy to do so except for my '69 1/2 SC/Rambler and other than that I am very happy to enjoy these new generation HP Ford vehicles compared to back in the day.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
Why do you not consider your 2016 Track Pack car a "real car"?

Have you ever driven a '65 or '66 GT350 which I highly doubt and of course I am sure that you have not driven a 1965 R model and they did not exist in 1966?

Since you have not I can tell you first hand that they were a hand full and great back in the day but something to behold in todays era of HP cars.

The reason that I got away from the 60's cars in the last few years and moved over to the new generation GT500's, Boss 302's and GT350/GT350R's was because of the fun factor and much more reliability.

I am sure that you realize that a nice '65 GT350 is now pushing ~$400,000 with a '65 GT350R pushing the $1,000,000 mark so from a financial standpoint not much to think about there.

I sold all of my old muscle cars and happy to do so except for my '69 1/2 SC/Rambler and other than that I am very happy to enjoy these new generation HP Ford vehicles compared to back in the day.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Have I driven a R? of course not. Have I driven a 66 gt350? Yes once. My dad owns a restoration business and I had the chance to drive an original 66 GT350 over 25 years ago. Although I didn't race it or track it, I can say I have more experience in classic cars then 98% of the people on this forum. Something that annoys me is when someone assumes they know more or assumes that someone younger has less experience then themselves. Just because I'm 45 and you're 65+ doesn't mean I have no experience in classic cars. To me classic cars are the ones with soul and character. As much as I love my 16 track pack, it lacks the soul of a classic. I can say the same about my all original 1956 f100 compared to my 2016 F150. Sure the 16 F150 is more comfortable and is nice and shiny and has better performance , but it lacks the soul. Same goes for the 65-66 GT350 compared to a new GT350. THIS IS my opinion. It won't change.
:cheers:
Sponsored