Sponsored

DIY Pony-less grille

JayTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Ordered an extra grille to do a DIY grille delete.
DSCF0421.JPG

Since I had the honeycomb section that I cut out for the grille and my original grille, I though I would try my hand at making my own OEM looking pony-less grille delete.

I first cut out the pony from the cut-out grille and then used that as a template to cut out the section I will be replacing on my original grille.
DSCF0416.JPG

I then cut out the pony from my original grille.
DSCF0417.JPG

Here is the honeycomb cutout behind the pony grille cutout.
DSCF0419.JPG

Here is the honeycomb cutout.
DSCF0420.JPG

I need to trim up the honeycomb cutout and remove the blocked off sections. Then i can glue, sand and paint. Hopefully it all comes out nicely.
Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Why would you do this? Isn't 99% of the reason for buying a Mustang showing off that you bought a Mustang?

H1 GT

Crew Chief
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
15 4C, 97 H1
No. Ford did so good with such few badges on this car. Its awesome.

Your progress looks good. With enough time and work I bet it'll look flawless! :D

SVT_N8

@baggedcobra
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT
I don't like the grille pony either. Interested in seeing how this turns out even though I have a Race Mesh grille on the way.

OP
OP

JayTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Why would you do this? Isn't 99% of the reason for buying a Mustang showing off that you bought a Mustang?
My personal preference for cars is badgeless. It's especially funny when you get pulled over and the cop doesn't know the make/model

No. Ford did so good with such few badges on this car. Its awesome.

Your progress looks good. With enough time and work I bet it'll look flawless! :D
Thanks!

I don't like the grille pony either. Interested in seeing how this turns out even though I have a Race Mesh grille on the way.
You and me both.

Sponsored

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
I tried this on my '05 and failed miserably. Looks like yours is coming along great. I hope it works. I'd love to have a pony-less OEM style grille. One piece of advice is to test the glue you're going to use. IIRC there's a special epoxy that has to be used for that type of plastic. I'll see if I can find where I posted it on TMS.

Good luck! Can't wait to see the finished product!!

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
How much was it to buy a separate mesh piece? I know that a few guys are selling hex mesh without the emblem as a whole unit. I'm thinking of buying one of them... love how it makes the grille look even more defined and gives the face a different attitude.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Do tHe guys making the hex mesh grilles just cut the plastic honeycomb out from a stock grille? Could be a nice cheap way to get some material to fill in the cutout from the pony.

Last edited:
OP
OP

JayTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I tried this on my '05 and failed miserably. Looks like yours is coming along great. I hope it works. I'd love to have a pony-less OEM style grille. One piece of advice is to test the glue you're going to use. IIRC there's a special epoxy that has to be used for that type of plastic. I'll see if I can find where I posted it on TMS.

I may fail miserably but it doesn't hurt to try. I bought this loctite plastic epoxy. You're suppose to be able to sand it after it dries.

How much was it to buy a separate mesh piece? I know that a few guys are selling hex mesh without the emblem as a whole unit. I'm thinking of buying one of them... love how it makes the grille look even more defined and gives the face a different attitude.
I bought a completely new grille for $45 including shipping. I just googled the grille part number and it popped up significantly cheaper.

Do tbe guys making the hex mesh grilles just cut the plastic honeycomb out from a stock grille? Could be a nice cheap way to get some material to fill in the cutout from the pony.
I think thats how it started off. This is my back up plan if I fail. I'll just cut out all of the honeycomb top and bottom and replace it with a metal hex mesh.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Wow. Great price. Can you post the part number?

I went back at looked at my thread on TMS and was reminded about the huge fog lights I had to cut out. Plus the center of the grille came to a point making it even harder because of some weird angles.

As for the grille delete guys, I was talking about using their left over material to fill-in where you cut the pony out.

Sponsored
OP
OP

JayTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP

I went back at looked at my thread on TMS and was reminded about the huge fog lights I had to cut out. Plus the center of the grille came to a point making it even harder because of some weird angles.

As for the grille delete guys, I was talking about using their left over material to fill-in where you cut the pony out.
This is where I bought it from, and it looks like its $2 cheaper than when i bought it :p
FR3Z-8200-BA

The curvature of the grille is my biggest concern, but I think I should be fine.

NitroMustang65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT

You and your plain honeycomb grilles...sheesh :D Come on man you remember the hours we spent at Barber Motorsports at the MCA deal in 2006 looking for a shifter boot for the Hurst in an '05 and the ensuing mission to find a GT grille without fog lights and pony? Maybe you should wait until Ford comes out with the S550 Bullitt then snag that grille :headbonk:Glad to see you got an S550. I'm still on the fence for several more months :eek:

(If you didn't know by now this is MTAS from the old TMS gang :) )

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
You and your plain honeycomb grilles...sheesh :D Come on man you remember the hours we spent at Barber Motorsports at the MCA deal in 2006 looking for a shifter boot for the Hurst in an '05 and the ensuing mission to find a GT grille without fog lights and pony? Maybe you should wait until Ford comes out with the S550 Bullitt then snag that grille :headbonk:Glad to see you got an S550. I'm still on the fence for several more months :eek:

(If you didn't know by now this is MTAS from the old TMS gang :) )
Yeah, I figured it out... eventually. Great to hear from you and see you on here! I still don't have my S550 yet. It's coming in any day now. It's been about 7 years since I've had a Mustang so I'm really looking forward to this one.

If his grille turns out, you know I'll be doing one too. :D

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
This is where I bought it from, and it looks like its $2 cheaper than when i bought it :p
FR3Z-8200-BA

The curvature of the grille is my biggest concern, but I think I should be fine.
Wow! Great price!! I would've thought it would be around $200. I think they messed up their pricing, lol.

Shanghai Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Convertible in Race Red

I believe the grille is simply ABS - in which case acetone is all you need. Brush each edge with acetone, press together, and wait about 5-10 minutes. Acetone will melt the ABS into each other, and you'll end up with a single piece.
Sponsored