Disable motion detector in 2020 active security system

MargeauxE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Radiant_owl
Vehicle(s)
2020 EcoBoost Premium HP engine, Velocity Blue
So, I got a dog and I want to leave him in the car during quick trips into, say, a liquor store, etc. And yes, only during moderate temperatures. Can the cabin motion detector that came with my 2020 active security system be disabled? How? Or is this best a dealership tech matter?
Sponsored

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
So, I got a dog and I want to leave him in the car during quick trips into, say, a liquor store, etc. And yes, only during moderate temperatures. Can the cabin motion detector that came with my 2020 active security system be disabled? How? Or is this best a dealership tech matter?
You should have a setting for 'perimeter only'. If you can't find it, check your owner's manual for instructions on how to set the alarm type.

OP
OP

MargeauxE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Radiant_owl
Vehicle(s)
You should have a setting for 'perimeter only'. If you can't find it, check your owner's manual for instructions on how to set the alarm type.
@Farkel, will definitely search for it. Envy your magneride.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yes, you can, though not permanently.
The option is in the settings menu. I don't know the exact sequence by heart, but I think it's something like Vehicle settings / Alarm. You have two options:
- "Reduced guard" will disable the interior sensors the next time you lock the doors. Only the very next time. The alarm will revert to full guard when the doors are unlocked and locked again.
- "Ask on exit" means that every time you turn the engine off you will be asked how the alarm should be set. You can choose reduced guard if you're planning to leave the dog inside the car, or full guard otherwise. If you ignore the question and just leave the car without making a choice, it will default to full guard.

Sadly, there's no way to set the alarm to reduced guard once and for all, and then forget about it. I guess it might be possible with ForScan, or simply by physically unplugging the volumetric sensors, but I haven't looked into that.

Last edited:
OP
OP

MargeauxE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Radiant_owl
Vehicle(s)
Yes, you can, though not permanently.
The option is in the settings menu. I don't know the exact sequence by heart, but I think it's something like Vehicle settings / Alarm. You have two options:
- "Reduced guard" will disable the interior sensors the next time you lock the doors. Only the very next time. The alarm will revert to full guard when the doors are unlocked and locked again.
- "Ask on exit" means that every time you turn the engine off you will be asked how the alarm should be set. You can choose reduced guard if you're planning to leave the dog inside the car, or full guard otherwise.

Sadly, there's no way to set the alarm to reduced guard once and for all, and then forget about it.
This helps greatly, @Vlad Soare.

Sponsored

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
@Farkel, will definitely search for it. Envy your magneride.
Thank you! I spent quite a while on this forum while I saved my nickles and dimes to buy the car. It really helped me to decide on color and equipment options. By the time I ordered the car, Magneride was a must-have for me and I definitely don't regret the decision.

OP
OP

MargeauxE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Radiant_owl
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

MargeauxE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Radiant_owl
Vehicle(s)
Mid 50s to 60s, out of sun, parked outside the liquor store, entering small neighborhood liquor store, and buying the Botanist gin, a known brand in a known location. Usually there is no line. Worst case, Iā€™m behind someone finishing a transaction and then they ring me up. Standard poodles, as mine is, have run the Iditarod. I scarcely believe my poodle is going to curl up and die during 5 minutes max in said temps. Thanks for asking. Also, I will not engage in further discussion on temps and dogs.

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Damn, the liquor store trips sure are important to you.

I'd never leave my dog in the car for lots of reasons. Not the least of which is my leather interior. Frankly, if I drove a hoopty, I'd never leave him in the car for one minute.

Besides, people here tend to take it upon themselves to free dogs so confined. I'd be more worried aboiut a busted window-and you'd be on the hook for it.

Austin1992

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I leave the car running with heat/ac on and park where I can see my car from the register. Never take him for a Walmart trip but he goes with me to the gas station often.

Do you guys do anything differently when your dog is with you? I put towels down and trained him to stay out of the seat.

C52CF619-A46F-4D02-8A88-8B8D338C55B5.jpeg

OP
OP

MargeauxE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Radiant_owl
Vehicle(s)
I leave the car running with heat/ac on and park where I can see my car from the register. Never take him for a Walmart trip but he goes with me to the gas station often.

Do you guys do anything differently when your dog is with you? I put towels down and trained him to stay out of the seat.

C52CF619-A46F-4D02-8A88-8B8D338C55B5.jpeg
Iā€™ve been putting mine on plastic contractor bags on the floorboard behind the passenger seat. Once heā€™s larger, itā€™ll be a seatbelt tether on the back seat. Havenā€™t found a seat cover yet for the back seat but will be looking further.

OP
OP

MargeauxE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Radiant_owl
Vehicle(s)
Damn, the liquor store trips sure are important to you.

I'd never leave my dog in the car for lots of reasons. Not the least of which is my leather interior. Frankly, if I drove a hoopty, I'd never leave him in the car for one minute.

Besides, people here tend to take it upon themselves to free dogs so confined. I'd be more worried aboiut a busted window-and you'd be on the hook for it.
I also take him to trips to the office. That involves entry to our suite using an exterior door. That one seemed more complicated to explain, so I stuck with the liquor store metaphor. Taking him along too when I gas up. Poodles suffer separation anxiety, so it seems kinder to take him on short trips than to crate him.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Why donā€™t you just leave the car on with the AC running for your dog. You can lock the doors with the fob and if someone was to break in they canā€™t put the car in drive if you have an auto
Sponsored