Dipstick Question

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
The owners manual for my Ecoboost states the oil is supposed to be between the lower and upper holes on the dipstick. There is also an area between the holes that is hash marked, it starts at the lower hole but stops before the upper hole. With an oil change 6 qts of oil brings it to the top of the hash marks, it requires 7 qts to get it to the upper hole.

My questions;
Does everyone's Ecoboost the same as mine?

Do you put in 6 qts or add the 7th to get it to the top hole?

BTW, my Focus ST was the same way.
Sponsored

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
Please just put in 6 QTS like the owners manual calls for. Adding an extra quart will do serious harm to your motor. My prayers go out for the poor slob that now owns your Focus.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
:popcorn:

Sponsored

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
No, he's always like this. Must be the uncomfortable ride he has with that SRA of his. Would make anyone act that way.
Or maybe he's one of those grumpy cantankerous pensioners thats always cranky in one way or another.

OP
OP
dgc333

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Please just put in 6 QTS like the owners manual calls for. Adding an extra quart will do serious harm to your motor. My prayers go out for the poor slob that now owns your Focus.
And where in my post did it say I was putting in 7 qts in either the Mustang or Focus? And what serious harm would I be doing when the owners manual clearly states the top hole is the full mark?

Really, if you can't add anything useful to a thread don't post in it.

OP
OP
dgc333

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I am still looking for some incite into why they mark the dipstick as they do. The specified volume of oil is about a qt shy of the full mark.

Sponsored

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
How did you wait before checking? Might take a while for the oil to completely drain to the pan.

OP
OP
dgc333

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
After the car sat over night. I have been changing my own oil for over 40 years and these last two Ford products are the first ones that didn't come close to the full mark after an oil change. Seems odd especially when they put hash marks on the dipstick that don't go all the way to the full hole. The top of the hash marks is where the oil comes to after a change.

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
After the car sat over night. I have been changing my own oil for over 40 years and these last two Ford products are the first ones that didn't come close to the full mark after an oil change. Seems odd especially when they put hash marks on the dipstick that don't go all the way to the full hole. The top of the hash marks is where the oil comes to after a change.
Not sure honestly. I'd just go by the book. I changed the oil in my wife's Edge last weekend with the book amount and it did reach the bottom of the top hole. I don't recall how high it was when I changed the oil in the EB.
Sponsored