Sponsored

Differential Harness on 2016 Tech

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I've searched but the info is mixed in several conversations with different goals.

Diff Temp Sensor IPC Line 720-06-01 to 7F6D 9664 9EB2.

What I'd like to know if I got a differential harness and the diff cover had the sensor for the two to connect. Where would the other end of the differential harness go?

Although this has also been discussed:
As anyone actually been able to get the display to show the diff readings after adjusting it through forscan. (pulling in possibly @jwb to chime in)

found this as well, somewhat helpful... didnt really show readings tho.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
If you are talking about a 2016 GT350 'Tech pack', or 'Base', I can help.
I was completely successful in activating my Axle temp display on my 2016 GT350.

1. You have to make your own 2-wire harness. It will run from the drivers side kick-panel, then under the drivers door sill plate, under the rear seat, and come out along-side OEM harness thru to the area just above the rear-end. (This isn't that difficult). You splice into 2 wires at the connector located inside the kick panel, (You can go thru the connector with terminals, you put onto the ends of your wiring, OR you can splice onto the factory wires before they go into the connector)
2. You buy a Motorcraft pigtail (PN: WPT-984) to put on the end of your wiring at the rear-end. This will plug right into the Temp Sensor that you install in your Rear-End Cover.
3. Temp Sensor: Ford (PN: 9L8Z-6G004-E), or the same exact part, only cheaper is: Standard Motor (PN: TS-653). The rear-end cover is already threaded for the sensor, just torque it to (89 in. lbs.). The sensor probe bottoms-out in the threaded hole, it doesn't go all the way into the rear-end fluid.
4. You then can use Forscan to program your Factory dash display to show the Axle temp, and if you wish you can also turn-on the existing Transmission Temp display.

I believe I wrote-up some of this procedure down in one of my Gear-Change write-ups
Here:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/gear-change-from-4-11-rear-gear-to-4-56-in-my-gt350.104766/

Hope this helps,

Last edited:
OP
OP
NoXiDe

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
If you are talking about a 2016 GT350 'Tech pack', or 'Base', I can help.
I was completely successful in activating my Axle temp display on my 2016 GT350.

1. You have to make your own 2-wire harness. It will run from the drivers side kick-panel, then under the drivers door sill plate, under the rear seat, and come out along-side OEM harness thru to the area just above the rear-end. (This isn't that difficult). You splice into 2 wires at the connector located inside the kick panel, (You can go thru the connector with terminals, you put onto the ends of your wiring, OR you can splice onto the factory wires before they go into the connector)
2. You buy a Motorcraft pigtail (PN: WPT-984) to put on the end your wiring at the rear-end. This will plug right into the Temp Sensor that you install in your Rear-End Cover.
3. Temp Sensor: Ford (PN: 9L8Z-6G004-E), or the same exact part, only cheaper is: Standard Motor (PN: TS-653). The rear-end cover is already threaded for the sensor, just torque it to (89 in. lbs.). The sensor probe bottoms-out in the threaded hole, it doesn't go all the way into the rear-end fluid.
4. You then can use Forscan to program your Factory dash display to show the Axle temp, and if you wish you can also turn-on the existing Transmission Temp display.

I believe I wrote-up some of this procedure down in one of my Gear-Change write-ups
Here:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/gear-change-from-4-11-rear-gear-to-4-56-in-my-gt350.104766/

Hope this helps,
@JohnVallo , I appreciate the response and am really glad to see you pulled this off. I already have the trans reading on since forever. I want to touch on your other thread:

2. After the wiring was completed and sensor was plugged in I went into Forscan and enabled both the Axle Oil Temp and the Trans oil Temp for the Dash Gage Display. (In the IPC module: 720-06-01 xxxx Xxxx xxxx) Just change the location (where the large X is) to a 9.

Is that all you did in Forscan for the axle temp? Adjusted the large X to a 9 for the diff? If so that's the easiest part of this journey.

What I'd like to ask you about is the temp sensor. Is there a way to cover this part while I work on the custom 2 wire harness?
https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-Products-TS-653-Temperature/dp/B0097WMERY

For instance, I'm concerned that if I install it on the diff cover without covering the inside of the sensor that water will damage it. Not that car never sees rain but it does get washed. The chances of this very unlikely. Do you know if it has to be covered with a cap of some sort if it won't be in-use just yet? Theoretically, I could be wasteful and buy two of these WPT-984 . Cut one end as a "cap" and save the other end for whenever I'm ready to work on the project. What I'm trying to prevent is having to do another diff fluid change as I was initially just going to put a cap on the diff sensor cover where the sensor would go.

Last edited:

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
John, I appreciate the response and am really glad to see you pulled this off. I already have the trans reading on since forever. I want to touch on your other thread:

2. After the wiring was completed and sensor was plugged in I went into Forscan and enabled both the Axle Oil Temp and the Trans oil Temp for the Dash Gage Display. (In the IPC module: 720-06-01 xxxx Xxxx xxxx) Just change the location (where the large X is) to a 9.

Is that all you did in Forscan for the axle temp? Adjusted the large X to a 9 for the diff? If so that's the easiest part of this journey.

What I'd like to ask you about is the temp sensor. Is there a way to cover this part while I work on the custom 2 wire harness?
https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-Products-TS-653-Temperature/dp/B0097WMERY

For instance, I'm concerned that if I install it on the diff cover without covering the inside of the sensor that water will damage it. Not that car never sees rain but it does get washed. The chances of this very unlikely. Do you know if it has to be covered with a cap of some sort if it won't be in-use just yet? Theoretically, I could be wasteful and buy two of these WPT-984 . Cut one end as a "cap" and save the other end for whenever I'm ready to work on the project. What I'm trying to prevent is having to do another diff fluid change as I was initially just going to put a cap on the diff sensor cover where the sensor would go.
Don’t install the temp sensor until you’re ready to plug in your wiring & pigtail.