Differential Backlash Clunk

Boston23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPP Ingot Silver
I’ve searched the forum as well as google searches and have found plenty of post/threads related to backlash clunking sound. I have a 2017 GT PP and from a stop under light acceleration, I hear a clunk that sounds like it’s coming from the right rear. After multiple searches I have what I believe is backlash as it seems pretty common. My question is, has Ford issued a TSB and/or, has anyone with the same issue had it resolved? The car only has 2,800 miles and the sound has been there since new. The sound is more pronounced when going up my driveway or when making a turn from a stop. At first, I thought it was the right rear suspension but pretty sure it’s the differential after my searches.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
There was a TSB where such clinking was remedied by the replacement of the rear pinion flange (and some have had the front transmission flange replaced).

The replacement eliminated the driveline slack.

Also to note, there was an SSM issued for the driveline vibe issue where Ford would replace the existing driveshaft with a revised one (what was revised, no one knows and it’s never been researched). That also remedied some of the slack issues for some folks who had the clunk. So you may want to check out the massive driveline vibe thread for more info there.

I believe the flange TSB was posted in this subforum - try searching on the word “flange” and you might hit on it.

OP
OP
Boston23

Boston23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPP Ingot Silver
There was a TSB where such clinking was remedied by the replacement of the rear pinion flange (and some have had the front transmission flange replaced).

The replacement eliminated the driveline slack.

Also to note, there was an SSM issued for the driveline vibe issue where Ford would replace the existing driveshaft with a revised one (what was revised, no one knows and it’s never been researched). That also remedied some of the slack issues for some folks who had the clunk. So you may want to check out the massive driveline vibe thread for more info there.

I believe the flange TSB was posted in this subforum - try searching on the word “flange” and you might hit on it.
CB, thanks much for the response. This will help when I visit the dealer next. I’m hopeful they are equally aware. Appreciate it.

Nerass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Premium GT
anyone have the tsb for this? is this the same as the 50 - 70 mph vibration tsb?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
No dealer is going to do a damn thing about this -- I tried over the course of owning my car. Biggest flop in terms of refinement on this cars, IMO.
Sponsored