Sponsored

Did you buy a Shelby and now wish you bought a Mustang GT ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhillyShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
K
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black GT350
With the right mods a GT is faster on a track. It's already been done.

Be that as it may you can put the same amount of after market work into a GT350 to make it faster yet again.

However when you are changing the Springs, sway bars, wheels, tires, brakes, control arns, bushings, linkages etc. Any way I fail to see the point in even wasting the time even bothering to start with a GT350 or even a PP model to be honest.

I am sure the SC guys pushing 700hp to 900hp are saying the sane thing .

Your buying a whole lotta performance parts on a GT350 that your just pulling off and upgrading yet again if you do that

You'll still run into unexpected problems though....such as tire sizing on the front.
I think I may sell the shelby and pick up a 1998 civic. With the money left over I'm sure I can get it to beat the gt350 around the track.
Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I've tried the auto trans route several times - enjoyable as a daily in heavy traffic, but that's about it for me. Maybe I bore easily.

Edit: I'm also ordering vanity plates that read "PDK LOL", so my opinion may be slightly biased.
I did the auto once as well with the A8 Hellcat. I won't say I wouldn't do it again. I just won't be giving up my R for one.

Alej

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alejandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017 PP+PP2
I bought a ’17 GT Performance Pack.
After adding close to $15k on stuff (power pack 3, exhaust, ford racing track handling pack, GT350 replica wheel and track performance tires, assorted stripe and badge work, etc etc etc) I must say... I kinda regret all this and wish I had the budget for a GT350R. That’s the goal soon, in the meantime I’m indeed enjoying the beast that the GT objectively is (for the price point) as a daily driver, drag races and track days.

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
I think I may sell the shelby and pick up a 1998 civic. With the money left over I'm sure I can get it to beat the gt350 around the track.
I dunno. What's $40k in mod money do for a civic? It might ACTUALLY be faster.

Be that as it may your analogy is a false equivalence since one S550 is very similar to another in the first place which...a civic clearly is not.

Like I said, if i wanted the outdated manual and the softer suspension and heavier brakes and wheels.....i could have gotten a GT350.

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
I bought a ’17 GT Performance Pack.
After adding close to $15k on stuff (power pack 3, exhaust, ford racing track handling pack, GT350 replica wheel and track performance tires, assorted stripe and badge work, etc etc etc) I must say... I kinda regret all this and wish I had the budget for a GT350R. That’s the goal soon, in the meantime I’m indeed enjoying the beast that the GT objectively is (for the price point) as a daily driver, drag races and track days.
Problem was the 17 didn't have the A10 or the slightly beefed up gen 3 or the new drive modes.

Eh....thats how it always goes. As soon as you get one thing something better comes out .

Sponsored

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
As I had said earlier, its what you want to do. The difference though is that you can mod a GT350 and still come out ahead. Why ? because of the parts that are already on the car. I had a 11 GT500 that made well south of 700WHP. Fun car. But when I look at that car compared to a GT350...its night day. Even a 13~14 is night and day. A 5.0 ? Night and day. Sure the new A10's are quick, but get past that and what ? Look at what the 350 brings.....the brake setup...suspension, coolers, transmission, areo, ect ect...its a reason its the top track car for now. Sure you can mod ANY car. but the GT350, for people who love to drive, is a DRIVERS CAR. If you ever drove one, I mean TRULY drove one...then you would understand the difference.

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
As I had said earlier, its what you want to do. The difference though is that you can mod a GT350 and still come out ahead. Why ? because of the parts that are already on the car. I had a 11 GT500 that made well south of 700WHP. Fun car. But when I look at that car compared to a GT350...its night day. Even a 13~14 is night and day. A 5.0 ? Night and day. Sure the new A10's are quick, but get past that and what ? Look at what the 350 brings.....the brake setup...suspension, coolers, transmission, areo, ect ect...its a reason its the top track car for now. Sure you can mod ANY car. but the GT350, for people who love to drive, is a DRIVERS CAR. If you ever drove one, I mean TRULY drove one...then you would understand the difference.
Well..... As I already said the sway bars and Springs of even the R are about 30% softer than what I have...so you'd still have to mod. The manual is slower and the brakes and tires are heavier.

Fully agree with you on the old GT500..

I am not saying it's a no brainer. I don't have any of the resale value of a 350 and like the 16s and 17s, I'll lack the cooling and have to let off after 2 or 3 laps. I can already get the trans fluid pretty hot on a good mountain road but it takes between 20 and 30 minutes. On a track I assume it would take even less so there is that.

Like I said though....id really like a GT350..its a better starting point. Just not with a manual.

PhillyShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
K
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black GT350
I dunno. What's $40k in mod money do for a civic? It might ACTUALLY be faster.

Be that as it may your analogy is a false equivalence since one S550 is very similar to another in the first place which...a civic clearly is not.

Like I said, if i wanted the outdated manual and the softer suspension and heavier brakes and wheels.....i could have gotten a GT350.
Ehhh new gen Mustang GT vs 1998 Civic, I'd probably go with the civic, less of them on the road and with heavy mods I'd really stand out.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
@Allentown Your Mustang GT is best for you.

For most GT350 owners, the GT350 is the best fit for them.

You could've gotten the GT350 if you wanted to. I can assure you, if we wanted the Mustang GT, we could've gotten that also. Unfortunately, the sad fact is, most of us never cared for the GT, and deep down, I think thats what really irks you.

You can holler about how our Shelby's suck ass with it's old manual trans technology, but to me, you're like that dude on the corner preaching about how we will all go to hell if we don't find Jesus soon.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
"Never go full retard"
upload_2019-3-26_6-52-57.jpeg

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
This will go on and on just like the blown engine thread. Like i said earlier a guy goes on a Shelby forum and starts a thread about do you wish you would have bought a GT. Just what do you expect the majority that waste there time on this are gonna post. Duh!!

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
@Allentown Your Mustang GT is best for you.

For most GT350 owners, the GT350 is the best fit for them.

You could've gotten the GT350 if you wanted to. I can assure you, if we wanted the Mustang GT, we could've gotten that also. Unfortunately, the sad fact is, most of us never cared for the GT, and deep down, I think thats what really irks you.

You can holler about how our Shelby's suck ass with it's old manual trans technology, but to me, you're like that dude on the corner preaching about how we will all go to hell if we don't find Jesus soon.
Nope.

Love the Shelby. Like I said if they had one with an auto id own it already.

Last edited:

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I would buy a 2020 GT350 with a DCT if Ford made it an option. That being said I still don't have any regrets for buying my GT350.

Like some have mentioned above the GT just never really interested me. I couldn't stand the standard 05-09 retro cars, but loved the 07-09 GT500 because they just had an anger and a presence from the front. I felt the same way about the GT350. I'd looked at an S550 GT and just wasn't sold on the lines, the GT350 though had that extra touch of aggression that I really liked and mixed with the sound of the 5.2 it was unique enough to capture my interest.

I've built gutted racecars before and it wasn't that much fun to me. I've also built cars where I changed out every part and there are always sacrifices in doing so. So a car that needed a few minor tweaks to be my ideal car was what I was looking for this time around and the GT350 fit the bill perfectly.

16mach1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt premium, 99 Roush, 2002 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
I think there's a reputation somewhat because people make stuff up or are easily offended..or both. You might be mistaking lack of interest for snobbery. Oh, I'm not supposed to like the car that "I" picked? You are coming off as someone who is twisting reality to allow himself to be offended, I must say. Sometimes when you think it's everyone (or most, or many, or whatever you use this time)..it's really just you.
First off I am not offended. Not in any way I think it is hilarius how some 350 owners think their car is way more than it is. I never said it was most or even many just some.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.