Sponsored

Did someone throw shade at you because you're a twenty-something?

Jb350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 track pack
I'm 29 now, bought my gt350 when I was 28. I'm a home improvement contractor and I work hard for everything I get. No one's really thrown any shade my way, but people are surprised someone.my age has a car like this, they probably assume I have a rich family or something.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Throwing Shade, is to throw "attitude."
Attitude can't be thrown unless the listener/reader is overly sensitive to blunt speech/text, worse if he whines about it. Youth and the related lack of experience in life has always attracted teasing from those, ummm, further along the road. Always will (you kids'll get your turn).

You'd think with the internet and all that this'd be less of a problem these days, that people would have developed thicker skins earlier in life.

Norm

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
Congrats to all you "youngsters" driving 350's. It is refreshing to see so many of you having success in life and understanding it's all about work ethic and drive to achieve for yourselves and your family. I'm 53 and did not complete college but started my own contracting business at the age of 23 and have never looked back.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Oh my dear jesus, don't tell me it was a sexual innuendo LOL :lol:

If that were the case, I support that decision :D
It would have been in the context that he did an excellent job on the project or whatever. Drained it like a baller. Nothing but net.

Just for the record I purchased my car at 33, and bought a new '14 GTR at 29. I'm on the cusp of millennial generation, but even I see it amongst my peers. Lots of entitlement.

Everything I've owned I bought. My immigrant parents had nothing but hardship, success, and then stupid mistakes created more hardships later in life.

I've had soft lessons from the mistakes, and continue getting more soft lessons. To be successful faster only soft lessons must be learned. Hard lessons tend to set you back.

Sponsored

OP
OP
thehygienist

thehygienist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
IRISH
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT350
These 24 hour per day news stations always showing these people protesting are what's giving you all a bad name.
You're entitled to think what you want, but anybody who stands up is alright by me. I have respect for people (young or older) who participate and don't take crap lying down.:headbang:

There have always been a segment of our democracy who've looked down at protests of any type, because they never had a reason to protest, or never felt strongly about anything, and think nobody has a right to free speech other than themselves. Welcome to the 24 hour news cycle.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
I'm not condemning an entire generation. These are just some frustrations with the younger folks I have. I'm 49 and have 25 people working for me at a Fortune 50 insurance company. The 5 in their mid twenty's do an OK job. They seem to be looking for a 9-5 job, which is not always possible with the work we do. This is made clear to everyone I hire. Don't ask any of them to work later to help support the team. They always have some excuse. If someone has an emergency and needs to leave while they are on call, none of the 5 20 something employees volunteer. It is always one of the more senior members of the team who volunteer and "own" an issue rather than just putting in their time and leaving.

These are not hourly employees. They are people making 50-75k per year. The way I handle it, aside from weekly 1 on 1 meetings, is to address in their yearly review. Anyone falling into the "needs improvement" bucket gets no raise and no bonus. Get "needs improvement" 2 years in a row and you won't get a 3rd.

I get it to some degree. My generation worked 2 jobs, 18 hours a day as we typically put our jobs ahead of anything besides family. It seems some millennials have many more priorities than being part of strong team if it means we may intrude on something they find more important like a Softball game (I kid you not!)

OP
OP
thehygienist

thehygienist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
IRISH
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT350
I work with a lot of Ph.D's and M.D.'s and some of them have only been in school up to the point that they got that advanced degree. The problem isn't that they don't work hard. The problem with a few of them is the lack of life experience that temper's expectations. But overall I have admired most of the younger people I have come across. Every now and then you'll supervise one that just never learned anything, despite the education. They are as varied as the fish in the sea. Shelby drivers get extra points.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
My nephew is 19 and on his fourth vehicle he bought himself. Currently it's a $38k 2013 Sierra. The kid is a hustler and always has been. Loves to work, and will even work for free when needed. I always tell him about paying his bills on time and how important credit is, and last week he told me his credit score was over 700 now. At 19 that's pretty damned impressive to me.

And when I see him in that decked out GMC I throw all kinds of shade his way.

And wth does "run the crunch" mean??

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I CANT BELIEVE THIS IS AT THE TOP OF THE THREAD LIST SMH

Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I'm not condemning an entire generation. These are just some frustrations with the younger folks I have. I'm 49 and have 25 people working for me at a Fortune 50 insurance company. The 5 in their mid twenty's do an OK job. They seem to be looking for a 9-5 job, which is not always possible with the work we do. This is made clear to everyone I hire. Don't ask any of them to work later to help support the team. They always have some excuse. If someone has an emergency and needs to leave while they are on call, none of the 5 20 something employees volunteer. It is always one of the more senior members of the team who volunteer and "own" an issue rather than just putting in their time and leaving.

These are not hourly employees. They are people making 50-75k per year. The way I handle it, aside from weekly 1 on 1 meetings, is to address in their yearly review. Anyone falling into the "needs improvement" bucket gets no raise and no bonus. Get "needs improvement" 2 years in a row and you won't get a 3rd.

I get it to some degree. My generation worked 2 jobs, 18 hours a day as we typically put our jobs ahead of anything besides family. It seems some millennials have many more priorities than being part of strong team if it means we may intrude on something they find more important like a Softball game (I kid you not!)
You can find people like that in any generation though, I don't think it has as much to do with the age of those individuals. Perhaps your older employees have worked for you longer, developed a greater bond with the company and therefore naturally are more willing to go out of their way to aid you. But I've experienced first hand, daily as of now, people that are near twice my age or older exhibit poor behavior and attitude towards the company and refuse to do anything above what is "required" of them. I don't contribute that to their age, I just think some people are lazy in general, and those people are of all ages.

I do agree with the rest though, as I would be the first to volunteer to help or stay late as I want to make a name for myself and make a good impression. As I mentioned I work on a rotation schedule, and am on salary, but I work extra hours every single day that I don't get paid for.

However I can't really condemn or criticize those who don't want to put in those hours either. Who has the right to continually expect people to give up More of their own time for the good of a company or business? We already dedicate so much of our time to working for one company or the next, sacrificing the majority of our lives so that we can have a place to live and provide for our families.

People today are realizing that life is about more than work. Companies and businesses today are running exponentially more efficient due to technology than they were decades ago, yet they still expect their personnel to put in the same amount of time at work, because they want ever-increasing production and profit.

I'm clearly fairly ambitious in regards to $$ and am willing to sacrifice by working away from everything I love to put myself and my fiancee ahead in life, but I don't think poorly of those who don't want to sacrifice their youth just for a few extra bucks.

Driver 8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i Coupe
I'm still grinning after having read this. Dude, you crushed it.

Shit. The voice in my head has escaped and is now posting on the web.

Already grinning from Driver 8's post up above and now laughing from this post. My face hurts.
I'll be here all week. Try the veal!

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
Oh my dear jesus, don't tell me it was a sexual innuendo LOL :lol:

If that were the case, I support that decision :D
Sounds like a positive basketball analogy. "Drained" a 3 pointer.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
There have always been a segment of our democracy who've looked down at protests of any type, because they never had a reason to protest, or never felt strongly about anything, and think nobody has a right to free speech other than themselves. Welcome to the 24 hour news cycle.
Not just any type. Thankfully, due to the "protesting" the light bulb shines bright on hypocrisy and silliness. Be it all the casualties from the war on women, the latest human crybaby chain, or all the college campus safe space requests - the media has made the truth clear.

Stern words and a spanking here or there actually worked. Time out and group hugs - not so much.

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
Boy this thread sure has lots of "shade" being thrown. LOL.

I personally think it's great that 20 somethings own this car. :thumbsup:
I'm long past that age, but when I was a young engineer, I worked hard to buy my first BMW at age 26. So I know what it's like. I say more power to anyone who is lucky enough to own this car (whatever one's age).
:cheers:
Sponsored