Andrewg

Sun, Sea, Sand and Camels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic GT 401A
Went out on Friday morning to do some 0-60 testing with the Procharger and try line lock in a safe environment. Nice stretch of road closed off that goes way out into the desert with nothing but sand dunes on either side.

Haven't had it dyno'd but stage 2 Procharger Beefcake Special should be putting down 570hp to the wheels so I wasn't expecting the stock clutch to last a long time. Buddy filming, line lock, burnout, smoke in the rear view mirror then smelled clutch so let off. Turns out the rear wheels hadn't moved at all. Figured the clutch had overheated so let it idle for a while to cool down then drove home. All seemed ok. Stopped at a gas station to fill up on the way back. Went to switch on the engine and nothing but a whirring sound. Engine didn't even crank. Ngauge showed battery voltage was good so figured it was the starter motor. Trouble code came up as Stater Motor Performance (can't remember the actual code).

Transported the car to the dealer. Diagnosis without opening up the transmission is that the flywheel ring gear broke and the starter should be fine. Just can't engage because the flywheel is missing teeth.

Will be ordering a Mantic 9000 Cerametallic clutch tomorrow however I wanted to get some input on who's got the cheapest rate. So far i've found VMP @ $1899, Hellhorse Performance @ $1,799, DJP Performance @ $1900. I only know VMP. Has anyone heard of or can vouch for the other vendors or know of a better price?

Kit comes with a flywheel, slave, bolts/studs, clutch and alignment tool. Dealer will be doing most of the work but have agreed to let me watch/direct as needed when it comes to the clutch install. Is there anything i'm missing or need to know? Appreciate any input.
Sponsored

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
Reminds me of this....

Not trying to be a jerk. Hope you're able to build it stronger!! Have to admit destroying your clutch that way is..... funny. Maybe too soon?

OP
OP
Andrewg

Andrewg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Ha! :lol: It's all good. I reckon that's what it must have looked like from outside the car. No point having line lock from the factory and not using it though.

Kind of embarrassing but knew the clutch was on borrowed time so it wasn't entirely unexpected. On the other hand, as you say, opportunity to build it stronger. Had an RXT in my 2007 and really enjoyed it but heard too many horror stories about MT82s and RXTs not playing nice. Could have gone RST but from what i've read, the Mantic is stronger, has a better than stock feel and less chatter. Plus when all is said and done the difference between the Mantic and an RST, ARP bolts, flywheel and slave/TOB is only $400 hundred dollars.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andrewg

Andrewg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Anyone else got any input please guys?

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
You are not alone. I picked a prepped for paving road to try a burnout. Thought I broke loose until that bad smell filled the cab. It wasn't tire smoke. Stayed in the car all the way back to the house (10 min drive). The car really hasn't shifted the same since.

I am going Mantic when mine shits. Just make sure to replace everything once you are in there. Clutch line, ford performance pilot bearing ($18), TOB but like you said I believe it comes with one. The mantic has hub springs which is nice for daily driver.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Andrewg

Andrewg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
You are not alone. I picked a prepped for paving road to try a burnout. Thought I broke loose until that bad smell filled the cab. It wasn't tire smoke. Stayed in the car all the way back to the house (10 min drive). The car really hasn't shifted the same since.

I am going Mantic when mine shits. Just make sure to replace everything once you are in there. Clutch line, ford performance pilot bearing ($18), TOB but like you said I believe it comes with one. The mantic has hub springs which is nice for daily driver.
Great shout on the pilot bearing! Thanks for that. You don't have a part number by any chance do you? Ordered the Steeda clutch line and will be a great opportunity to put in the Bg Synchro Shift trans fluid i've had sat around for a while.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
the mantic is def a pricey clutch, we have some nice combos with the rst / rxt for quite a bit less,

the rst should hold very well for what you have and pedal feel is great

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Great shout on the pilot bearing! Thanks for that. You don't have a part number by any chance do you? Ordered the Steeda clutch line and will be a great opportunity to put in the Bg Synchro Shift trans fluid i've had sat around for a while.

M-7600 B
M-7600 C high load ( what ever that means).
Sponsored