Sponsored

Denso Spark Plugs

p0werslave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium w/PP
(Apologies if this seems like a stupid question!)

Regarding Adam's recommendation on Denso spark plugs:

Bearing in mind that the only mods I've got are a Catback Exhaust and a Cobb OTS Stage 1 tune, is it worth it buying the Denso plugs? I'm not sure if I'll notice any difference, or if it's just better for the car's engine.

In about a month I'm planning to pull the trigger on an intercooler upgrade - will that change the argument above about spark plugs being necessary (or not)?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ryan @ PDTuning

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pd-tuning.com
Vehicle(s)
15' Ecoboost Mustang
You can't go wrong with a set of Denso ITV22's or a set of NGK #6510's(make sure you gap them prior to install).

OP
OP
p0werslave

p0werslave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated. I just ordered a batch of 6 Denso plugs (2 extra in case I mess up the gapping to 0.28!).

Will let you know results/feedback once installed.

Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Just go slow and tap on something kind of firm (like a piece of wood) to close the gap up. They'll probably be around 0.030 from the factory, so just take your time and you'll be fine.

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated. I just ordered a batch of 6 Denso plugs (2 extra in case I mess up the gapping to 0.28!).

Will let you know results/feedback once installed.
I have them pre-gapped so you don't have to risk damaging them. I use a $180.00 tool to pre-gap each plug we ship. Just a heads up. You can easily bend over the iridium welded tip and have yourself a useless set of plugs.

About 50% of the customers that order plugs through me had to find out the hard way. :frusty:

OP
OP
p0werslave

p0werslave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have them pre-gapped so you don't have to risk damaging them. I use a $180.00 tool to pre-gap each plug we ship. Just a heads up. You can easily bend over the iridium welded tip and have yourself a useless set of plugs.

About 50% of the customers that order plugs through me had to find out the hard way. :frusty:
Would have definitely bought from you but I'm in the UK, so the plugs would take ages to arrive and I would end up paying twice as much because of the tax/duty :(

ronv95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Would have definitely bought from you but I'm in the UK, so the plugs would take ages to arrive and I would end up paying twice as much because of the tax/duty :(
take your time and you will be fine, you don't need $180 tool to gap a plug or pay somebody twice as much to do it for you. If you decide not to get colder plugs at least check the gap on the factory plugs as they have been reported to be off from a few people.

Sponsored

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
take your time and you will be fine, you don't need $180 tool to gap a plug or pay somebody twice as much to do it for you. If you decide not to get colder plugs at least check the gap on the factory plugs as they have been reported to be off from a few people.
You clearly aren't one of the customers that had to buy twice because they ruined their first set trying to gap their plugs themselves. :headbonk:

ronv95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
You clearly aren't one of the customers that had to buy twice because they ruined their first set trying to gap their plugs themselves. :headbonk:
Surely you didn't mind that. The fact still remains you dont need your $180 tool to gap the plugs. If people want to buy your plugs for their piece of mind, well it's their money, point is they should know it' not overly complicated and just as much risk of damage to the plug is involved in the actual install.

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Surely you didn't mind that. The fact still remains you dont need your $180 tool to gap the plugs. If people want to buy your plugs for their piece of mind, well it's their money, point is they should know it' not overly complicated and just as much risk of damage to the plug is involved in the actual install.
Actually the damage is actually from gapping, most customer knock the iridium welded tip off because it is extremely brittle and soft. If you knock it off you have a dead plug. If you bend it, you have a dead plug. If you make the gap too tight and you have to open it back up you mar the ground electrode. Which won't cause a dead plug but will cause inconsistent spark as it will possibly be igniting off the side of the ground electrode. When you opened it back up to re-gap you marred the metal and removed some of the plating. The channel on the bottom side of the ground electrode is raw - no plating, so when you create more raw spots on the ground electrode you are making it hard for the plug to generate a straight spark between the gap. If the plug starts igniting anywhere BUT the channel in the ground electrode you get weak spark and can cause spark blowout.

People don't understand the importance of having a properly gapped quality plug in these cars. Not to long ago I was doing live remote dyno tuning for a shop in Ohio. The power numbers were off, but the car was running smooth and pulling fine. I asked what plugs were in it and he said stock. He grabbed a set of plugs off the shelf, gapped them with his gapping tool, and installed. The car went from 294whp to 323whp without even changing the tune. Boost was actually lower, and timing/fuel was the same.

So, you can absolutely gap your own plugs and I tell people that all the time. However if you don't want to risk it you can pay me for my time, and get a plug that is guaranteed to perform as it should. The price would be a little cheaper if I wasn't shipping 120 plugs a week. Clearly there are people that want to make a small investment to better the health of their vehicle and not have to worry about having to possibly buy twice.

ronv95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Actually the damage is actually from gapping, most customer knock the iridium welded tip off because it is extremely brittle and soft. If you knock it off you have a dead plug. If you bend it, you have a dead plug. If you make the gap too tight and you have to open it back up you mar the ground electrode. Which won't cause a dead plug but will cause inconsistent spark as it will possibly be igniting off the side of the ground electrode. When you opened it back up to re-gap you marred the metal and removed some of the plating. The channel on the bottom side of the ground electrode is raw - no plating, so when you create more raw spots on the ground electrode you are making it hard for the plug to generate a straight spark between the gap. If the plug starts igniting anywhere BUT the channel in the ground electrode you get weak spark and can cause spark blowout.

People don't understand the importance of having a properly gapped quality plug in these cars. Not to long ago I was doing live remote dyno tuning for a shop in Ohio. The power numbers were off, but the car was running smooth and pulling fine. I asked what plugs were in it and he said stock. He grabbed a set of plugs off the shelf, gapped them with his gapping tool, and installed. The car went from 294whp to 323whp without even changing the tune. Boost was actually lower, and timing/fuel was the same.

So, you can absolutely gap your own plugs and I tell people that all the time. However if you don't want to risk it you can pay me for my time, and get a plug that is guaranteed to perform as it should. The price would be a little cheaper if I wasn't shipping 120 plugs a week. Clearly there are people that want to make a small investment to better the health of their vehicle and not have to worry about having to possibly buy twice.

No one is questioning the importance of a properly gapped plug, Im simply saying the average person is capable of gapping their own plugs without you or a $180 tool.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
So, nobody answered my question on if the denso's make a difference on a bone stock car. I badly want to do some mods, but with the driveline vibration problem still there, I can't justify it. But spark plugs I can do...
Sponsored