Deeper Rumble without getting louder?

dafuture

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
My goal for this car is to get back some of that old school rumble without making the car really any louder. Would an H pipe do the trick? Any specific axle-back?
Sponsored

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I did a lot of reading and listening to youtube when deciding if I wanted to keep the MBRP street the previous owner installed. What I found was:

• I wanted to keep this because of what I perceived as a deeper note. It pops and crackles, and is plenty loud. Also gets compliments.
  • When looking at an exhaust, if you prefer the deeper sound, an H pipe is preferred in a system, or you get the H pipe and an axle-back.
  • To just add some depth, H pipe with stock GT mufflers.

OP
OP

dafuture

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I did a lot of reading and listening to youtube when deciding if I wanted to keep the MBRP street the previous owner installed. What I found was:

• I wanted to keep this because of what I perceived as a deeper note. It pops and crackles, and is plenty loud. Also gets compliments.
  • When looking at an exhaust, if you prefer the deeper sound, an H pipe is preferred in a system, or you get the H pipe and an axle-back.
  • To just add some depth, H pipe with stock GT mufflers.
Definitely good to know. Any idea how much louder the H-pipe with stock mufflers would be? I live in a quiet neighborhood and go out early, so the car's plenty loud enough as is. I really just want to alter the tone.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
There is a good youtube video I stumbled on, H pipe with GT stock mufflers.

Scooter MGee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
'20 MGT, '18 H-D Fat Bob 131ci, '17 Yaris
If you have the adjustable exhaust adding in the Steeda h-pipe will get you where you want to be.

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I have the stock mufflers with an h.pipe. good rumble, not too loud, but obnoxious cold start up for about 30 seconds

OP
OP

dafuture

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
There is a good youtube video I stumbled on, H pipe with GT stock mufflers.
Any chance you have the link?

If you have the adjustable exhaust adding in the Steeda h-pipe will get you where you want to be.
I don't have the active exhaust unfortunately. I couldn't find a car with it within a few hundred miles of me. Since I was trading in a car, I didn't want to go much further than that.

I have the stock mufflers with an h.pipe. good rumble, not too loud, but obnoxious cold start up for about 30 seconds
Gotcha, good to know. I have to think about that, I don't know if I want that obnoxious cold start. My neighbors weren't thrilled with my last exhaust (MK6 VW GTI, full Neuspeed turboback). They aren't thrilled with the GT either, but they're tolerating.

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
Mine 18 exhaust is stock so far, with just a Steeda H-pipe. It definitely sounds better than it did with the stock resonator. A decent bit louder on the cold startup, but nothing that would disturb neighbors. It doesn't wake anyone up inside my house when I leave for work. Ideally I would like it to be a bit louder but still deep, like my '13 with cat deletes and GT500 axlebacks.

OP
OP

dafuture

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Mine 18 exhaust is stock so far, with just a Steeda H-pipe. It definitely sounds better than it did with the stock resonator. A decent bit louder on the cold startup, but nothing that would disturb neighbors. It doesn't wake anyone up inside my house when I leave for work. Ideally I would like it to be a bit louder but still deep, like my '13 with cat deletes and GT500 axlebacks.
Awesome, that's what I'm hoping for. Any chance you have some before/after clips?

Sponsored

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
A res delete might do the trick for you depending on how loud you want to get, I personally prefer the whole catback setup honestly, they usually aren't that loud depending on which route you go. We actually have several setups that are running killer sales right now during our Black Friday Sale. Hit up one of our reps or myself if you'd like to see what we have available for you. Lethalperformance.com

OP
OP

dafuture

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
A res delete might do the trick for you depending on how loud you want to get, I personally prefer the whole catback setup honestly, they usually aren't that loud depending on which route you go. We actually have several setups that are running killer sales right now during our Black Friday Sale. Hit up one of our reps or myself if you'd like to see what we have available for you. Lethalperformance.com
Stephen, would you say just the rest delete or a catback/axleback would be louder? I'm definitely trying to stay as close to stock volume as possible.

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would try the resonator delete and see how you like it. You can always add axlebacks later if you want a little more.

OP
OP

dafuture

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I would try the resonator delete and see how you like it. You can always add axlebacks later if you want a little more.
That's sort of the way I'm leaning, but I'm also just getting to know the platform so I figure it can't hurt to ask questions.

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha. It’s better to ease into it and see if you want to go further with the sound. I honestly have no complaints with my H-pipe setup. I could leave it as is and still be happy. It sounds a lot better going through the gears, but is quiet enough when idling around to not be annoying. It’ll get pretty loud once the rpm’s get up high too.
Sponsored