Sponsored

Decline of Sports Cars?

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
I'm sure everyone has heard of this but I am curious to what people's opinions are.
The Mustang sold over half a million in the first two years of production and was steady at 120,000 units per year if you exclude a few years that are outliers (300,000+).

That is just the Mustang alone so it is excluding obviously other popular vehicles. I read another statistic that sports cars now only make up 200,000 sales (by unit) annually if you include all models. SUVs, trucks, and lifted compacts (CUVs) outsell by way more individually.

So what happened to the U.S.? I'm a millennial and the feedback I get from my group and centennials is that they want a pick up truck in case they have to move. Like, what the actual fuck? U-Haul that day? The loads they need to tow doesn't even make a Chevy Spark sweat. How can you be fearful of global warming and then you buy a gas guzzler (I'll leave it at that so no politics please)?

I suppose I am just ranting and the automotive scene for sports cars is okay?
Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
People are "bigger" now. The average American is taller and much heavier than 60 years ago. SUV's are a better fit for them. They ride up higher, making entry and exit easier, and feel safer.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I'm sure everyone has heard of this but I am curious to what people's opinions are.
The Mustang sold over half a million in the first two years of production and was steady at 120,000 units per year if you exclude a few years that are outliers (300,000+).

That is just the Mustang alone so it is excluding obviously other popular vehicles. I read another statistic that sports cars now only make up 200,000 sales (by unit) annually if you include all models. SUVs, trucks, and lifted compacts (CUVs) outsell by way more individually.

So what happened to the U.S.? I'm a millennial and the feedback I get from my group and centennials is that they want a pick up truck in case they have to move. Like, what the actual fuck? U-Haul that day? The loads they need to tow doesn't even make a Chevy Spark sweat. How can you be fearful of global warming and then you buy a gas guzzler (I'll leave it at that so no politics please)?

I suppose I am just ranting and the automotive scene for sports cars is okay?
Have you seen this thread (more so the content of the news article)::
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...er-buyers-could-kill-the-ford-mustang.159957/

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
I am curious, are they referencing new car sales? If so, I think a lot of sports cars are being bought used? There are many high performing cars that are on the used market for much less than the newer cars. In my area (N. Va) I have actually seen the amount of sports cars increase and especially modified cars. Several years ago, I would not see as many modified cars however, I see them everywhere now.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am curious, are they referencing new car sales? If so, I think a lot of sports cars are being bought used? There are many high performing cars that are on the used market for much less than the newer cars. In my area (N. Va) I have actually seen the amount of sports cars increase and especially modified cars. Several years ago, I would not see as many modified cars however, I see them everywhere now.
Interesting. And yes, the stats are for white market sales only. Thank you for your insight.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
What good is a car that you can not utilize on the street. There are too many cars people cameras to be able to enjoy a modern sports car.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
People are "bigger" now. The average American is taller and much heavier than 60 years ago. SUV's are a better fit for them. They ride up higher, making entry and exit easier, and feel safer.
I think this is true.... everywhere I go.. I think I see 3 out of 4 people being mildly to largely obese. as long as people are happy its all that matters, but this is becoming VERY TRUE> they are ALL in suv's or trucks for the most part.

TXAG96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21Bronco,'20Bullitt,'01Boxster,'87Tbird-Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I think the car passion has been slowly eroded by politics and such to tell people what they should drive vs what the want to drive.
Liberty is an inherent right not inherited....

Last edited:
OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What good is a car that you can not utilize on the street. There are too many cars people cameras to be able to enjoy a modern sports car.
Are tracks not available in most areas? Is big brother watching on mountain passes or country back roads?

Sponsored

Helltime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
85 Mustang GT, 2019 Audi A4, 2023 MCS, 2004 BMW Z4
People are in the mentality of they NEED 4 doors, and they NEED to sit up high.
Me, I am the oddball who has owned 2 doors, reg cab trucks and 2 seaters ever since I started driving...I've had a baby/toddler seat in 2 door GTIs (sorry 2 door is the only real GTI) 2 door E30s, a 135i, a Miata, saturn sc2 (first gen) and even used reg cab trucks and corvettes as DDs.
Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are tracks not available in most areas? Is big brother watching on mountain passes or country back roads?
Exactly my point. You need to go to the track to be able to enjoy the attributes of a sports car. Few people have a place they can safely hang loose

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
As a millennial you are voicing the same concerns many people did back in the 70's when "sports cars" meant the cars shown below (points if you can name them all).

These cars are the definition of "sports cars". They died and were buried decades ago. Just as our Mustang's, Camaro's, & Challengers' will be in the not too distant future. Enjoy them while you can. Nothing lasts forever.

1622234947718.png

1622234997550.png

1622235059349.png

1622235094283.png

1622235122487.png

1622235172048.png

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly my point. You need to go to the track to be able to enjoy the attributes of a sports car. Few people have a place they can safely hang loose
What about the second sentence?

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unsure of ref. to second sentence, but my response to what I'm thinking you ask.
Example: individuals buys a nice PP1 or 2 Mustang. They live say north of the DC beltway. All of the cities (DC Baltimore Philadelphia New York I-95 north into New England and you can add in West Coast LA etc..) . The roads are congested to say it mildly, not a place you can do what people call spirited driving. Also if they do then a camera can make a Kodiac Moment real at the mailbox.

Americas populations are centered in the big cities, this is why they control the elections. High concentration population.
Maybe on this forum there are people that have better options, I know I do. I live outside of Myrtle Beach, now Bikeman from Myrtle Beach has same car as I but not those options.

When you look at the average Joe or Jane they could care less about tracking car, stuck in traffic most of the time. When can they enjoy a sports car enough to put up with the short comings of a sports car.

Analogy: woman don't wear tight jeans to garden in.
Sponsored