Sponsored

deactivate MyKey Function (only one Key available)

Günther

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andreas
Vehicle(s)
Mustang convertible V6
Hello,

I have a problem. I bought a Mustang V6 Convertible 2015 and the myKey function is activated. Is was from a private seller.
There is only one key for the car. I called my Ford dealer and he said it will cost me 250 $.
I saw a lot of videos where people program a new key without a dealer.
Now is my question, have anyone here experience with this problem and know how to solve the problem without to spend 250$?
I'm from Huntsville, AL.
Sponsored

Hmc610

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Vehicle(s)
F150 Taurus
The only way I know of is to have the admin key. Without it the dealer will have to get you a key and program your old and new keys to delete the mykey.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Without an admin key you can't.
You need to have a new key programmed for your car. That will then become your admin key and you'll be able to use it for disabling MyKey (so you'll end up with two admin keys and zero MyKeys).

You don't have to go to Ford to program a new key. You can do it with ForScan (though I believe it requires an extended licence). But I have a hunch that a big chunk of the 250 dollars is for the key itself, not the programming.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Günther

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andreas
Vehicle(s)
Mustang convertible V6
A new key costs online between 70-100$.
i don’t know if my dealer let me buy a key like this and Programme it.

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
I bought my car mail-order from a dealer, and didn't even think to ask how many keys it came with... which turned out to be just one. Lesson learned there. Anyway, fast-forward 2 years, and I'm feeling flush with a diminished value claim after getting bumped in the rear. I decided to pull the trigger and went to my local dealer and got 20% off (they were running a special, just my luck) and got a new fob with the physical key cut for $200. I also had them shut off the deadbeat's fob that is somewhere in Georgia while I was at it... priceless.

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
I just had a new key programmed from a local lock place. My car only came with one and mykey was activated. Key, programming it and turning off MyKey was $185 and took about 20 mins. Now I have 2 admin keys and everything is restored, track apps, etc.
Sponsored