Dash aluminum trim rattles and creaks!

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
Sorry if I sound frustrated. I removed center dash aluminum piece out twice now to fix the rattle and creaks over the bumps. Placed felt tape but this damn thing still rattles and buzzes. Not sure if it's the clips or what I'm doing wrong. The whole piece rattles. Car only has 4k Miles. Hate to take it to a dealer to get it fixed now.

The most common area is in the center near a vents and by the passenger area.

Any ideas on what to do?
Sponsored

Last edited:

kh1818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
roll the windows down/turn up the radio. Thats what i have done - hate to say it but the build quality of these cars is just not perfect. Kind of expected that going into owning this car but nonetheless, can be a difficult pill to swallow. I have a squeak from my rear seats which happens when going over speedbumps etc which is fixed with hitting the seat mounts with WD-40 once a year.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Well I feel like I have gave up. I took center dash aluminum piece out twice now to fix the rattle and creaks over the bumps. Placed felt tape but this damn thing still rattles and buzzes. Not sure if it's the clips or what I'm doing wrong. The whole piece rattles. Car only has 4k Miles. Hate to take it to a dealer to get it fixed now.

The most common area is in the center near a vents and by the passenger area.

Any ideas on what to do?
Did you buy replacement clips and put them on before you re-assembled? Your clips may be worn/not seating as good since they have been removed/reinstalled and it might be a loose clip?

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
roll the windows down/turn up the radio. Thats what i have done - hate to say it but the build quality of these cars is just not perfect. Kind of expected that going into owning this car but nonetheless, can be a difficult pill to swallow. I have a squeak from my rear seats which happens when going over speedbumps etc which is fixed with hitting the seat mounts with WD-40 once a year.
I had a passenger seat squeak that I traced to the bolts holding it to the car. Loosened the one corner I traced it to, lifted it up and put thin foam padding around the edges and re-torqued it back down (35lb is what it calls for) and have not had anymore creaking AT ALL from the seat.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
My trim rattles on the small drivers side piece. Haven't had time to try and fix it yet but its starting to get worse and bug me. Easy fix... drive faster and ignore it. Worked so far.

Sponsored

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
more speed is always the solution.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If the vents and/or gauges squeak in the middle of the dash piece, like it was the case with my brand new car, you can quiet them by inserting a thin piece of rubber (I used a rubber washer to cut small pieces) at the very top of the vents/gauges, and the squeaking went away completely. And yes, it took me a while to finally quiet them. Removing the center piece and placing foam tape all over the place from the inside didn't help. So the good news is there's no need to remove anything. Hope that's it for you too :).

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
If the vents and/or gauges squeak in the middle of the dash piece, like it was the case with my brand new car, you can quiet them by inserting a thin piece of rubber (I used a rubber washer to cut small pieces) at the very top of the vents/gauges, and the squeaking went away completely. And yes, it took me a while to finally quiet them. Removing the center piece and placing foam tape all over the place from the inside didn't help. So the good news is there's no need to remove anything. Hope that's it for you too :).
You know that is a good idea but for me the trim it self is very creaky. When I press it hard the creak goes away so not sure if it's the vent or the trim itself.

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
Did you buy replacement clips and put them on before you re-assembled? Your clips may be worn/not seating as good since they have been removed/reinstalled and it might be a loose clip?
I did buy the clips from Amazon. They are orange ones. I didn't replace all of them, the one only ones I replaced were the ones I lost when I removed the trim.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
When I press it hard the creak goes away so not sure if it's the vent or the trim itself.
Very easy to know: Just put a finger between the vent/gauge and trim, making vertical pressure (not inward) between the vent/gauge and trim piece, and you'd know right away :). Hope that's it. Good luck.
Sponsored