Sponsored

Cylinder Head Temp - 227 Too hot?

x550ciLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 6MT
Been crazy warm here in VA Beach the last few days. Cylinder head temp can get up to 227 when stopped in traffic or at a drive through. Cools down to 201 once I cruise in 5th gear for a minute or two.

How strenuous is this on the engine? Are you guys seeing the same numbers in similar temp areas of the country?
Sponsored

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
im in texas but ive never gotten to 227, at once it got to 223 while parked for half an hour and a/c on it was the first time it when that high (before 209 was the highest) but i havent had that issue since i put the gt grille, but i dont know if thats the reason

DeepImpactS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
It hasn't reached the peak of summer heat here in Florida for my 2016 yet. I regularly hit the ~220 mark when sitting parked for a while with a/c off. A/C being on tends to lower it by a few degrees. My intake air temperature in the ~140 degree range actually worries me more. There's a definite difference in performance when it gets above about 130, regardless of what the cylinder head temp does.

IMO, in hotter states, a heat-extractor hood should be a definite consideration. I'm assuming a stock GT hood /w heat vents is a direct bolt-on?

Last edited:

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
It hasn't reached the peak of summer heat here in Florida for my 2016 yet. I regularly hit the ~220 mark when sitting parked for a while with a/c off. A/C being on tends to lower it by a few degrees. My inlet air temperature in the ~140 degree range actually worries me more. There's a definite difference in performance when it gets above about 130, regardless of what the cylinder head temp does.

IMO, in hotter states, a heat-extractor hood should be a definite consideration. I'm assuming a stock GT hood /w heat vents is a direct bolt-on.
i should of thought of the gt hood before putting stripes:headbonk:

Sponsored

myjaja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
It hasn't reached the peak of summer heat here in Florida for my 2016 yet. I regularly hit the ~220 mark when sitting parked for a while with a/c off. A/C being on tends to lower it by a few degrees. My intake air temperature in the ~140 degree range actually worries me more. There's a definite difference in performance when it gets above about 130, regardless of what the cylinder head temp does.

IMO, in hotter states, a heat-extractor hood should be a definite consideration. I'm assuming a stock GT hood /w heat vents is a direct bolt-on?
My intake air temperature goes up to the 170's when stopped for a while.

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
I never beat on my car if the inlet temps are over 100 to 110 deg. Thats my personal rule. Ive seen 208 while driving with ac on, sometimes 212 to 214 while sitting. Id say if you were beating on the car at 227 deg tgats not so good, but just sitting probably wont hurt it

myjaja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
I never beat on my car if the inlet temps are over 100 to 110 deg. Thats my personal rule. Ive seen 208 while driving with ac on, sometimes 212 to 214 while sitting. Id say if you were beating on the car at 227 deg tgats not so good, but just sitting probably wont hurt it
I guess you've never beat on your car if you lived here then. Right off the bat when you turn on the vehicle, its already at 92. By the time it warms up, its already over 100 degrees.

lzaffuto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Vert
I think our cars have pretty high under hood temps. On a 60 degree day my IAT is sitting at 106 degrees at stoplights (100% stock). It really affects the performance of the A/C when sitting in bumper to bumper on hot days as well. Been trying to think of ways to push/pull more hot air out of the bay.

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Ive been thinking of making a large ish hood vent. The other problem is the iat sensor gets heat soaked, even if tge air coming is isnt all that hot, it reads hot cause the sensor is hot from the engine bay

Sponsored

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
This thread makes me feel better. I frequently go up to 220-230 idle or in traffic.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
It's fine, you won't hurt anything. Throw in a Reische thermostat and adjust your tune to turn the fans on earlier if you are worried about performance.

lzaffuto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Vert
It's fine, you won't hurt anything. Throw in a Reische thermostat and adjust your tune to turn the fans on earlier if you are worried about performance.
Not anytime soon (and certainly not within the warranty period Ford cares about), but over the years heat does terrible things to rubber, plastic, and electronics, which the bay is absolutely full of. Cooler temps would improve a lot of things immediately, and everything long term.

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
2016 procharged v6 magnetic 2016 ford eplorer
The highest I've seen mine go was 210 but on the highway. Might start paying more attention to that from now on and will consider a different good.

bmckernan2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 v6 mustang
I was wondering the same thing i was seeing like 215 if i really got on it but if i stay easy on it the temps around 199-205 glad to see its not just me.. Anyone have an idea of if a heat extractor hood is really worth the money in terms of under hood temps?
Sponsored