Sponsored

custom x-pipe + axel back exhuast or full catback?

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
I've been debating with myself whether I should go with a generic x-pipe (probably from Magnaflow) and have a shop weld in pipes and then get the Flowmaster Outlaw axel back or get the Flowmater Outlaw catback at once. It's probably cheaper if I go with the former. The x-pipe from Magnaflow is only $100 and the Outlaw axel back is $400 plus shop parts and labor. If I go with the catback, it's $900 and I can probably install myself.
Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
You can do that, but have to include labor costs. You're also going to need piping between the X and Flowmasters bent too, as well as between the headers and X since there is only a few inches if you cut the resonator out.

Expect at least $100 in labor/material, if not a bit more more. The catback you can do in your driveway with a socket set for free. I would contact some vendors on here (hypermotive, etc) as I'm sure they can beat the MSRP on American Muscle of $900 for the catback too.

OP
OP
BoomBoy

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was set on having a shop installing an x-pipe now and then I get the axle back exhaust down the road. I thought it'd be cheaper that way too but why am I having second thoughts?

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
You could do that too, but then there will be more cutting of the stock system later to do (cut off the stock mufflers), and I'm sure a minimum labor charge later in addition.

You may be able to get the full catback Flowmaster for about the same price as all of the cutting up in stages that just bolts on where the stock system disconnects. No cutting or anything and you could do it yourself with a socket set really.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Expect at least $100 in labor/material, if not a bit more more. The catback you can do in your driveway with a socket set for free. I would contact some vendors on here (hypermotive, etc) as I'm sure they can beat the MSRP on American Muscle of $900 for the catback too.
Absolutely this.^

I bought a catback which has a stupid high MSRP tag for a reasonable cost from Hypermotive. You can find other catbacks for well within your budget and just bolt it on yourself. It's very straightforward and you can say that you did your own work.

Sponsored

Farmundeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT Premium
I believe the Flowmaster catback requires cutting.

OP
OP
BoomBoy

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How should I contact the vendors to see their offering? Just PM them directly?

Farmundeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT Premium

jared89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt pp
Why not just go with mbrp they have by far the best pricing for a catback .Especially if you are on a budget its what i did, plus i didnt want to cut my stock exhaust in case i want to put it back to stock. I got my ss race for under 600, and i think the aluminized (sp) is like $100 less.
Sponsored