Custom Single Exit Exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
This past Sunday my business partner and I fabricated a single exit exhaust for my car.

It bolts to the stock down pipe via a 2.25-3 inch reducer and then using pre mandrel bent piping we had it exit the passenger side of the car.

We made it completely out of T304 SS, back purged and tig welded. I am only using a single Borla straight through muffler.

In my opinion it sounds great and is pretty light. I'll try to weigh it next week versus the stock exhaust.

Absolutely no droan and quiet at idle.

This video shows cold start, there's a jack holding the exhaust up since the hangers were not done when I shot the video.

Overall I'm really happy!

[ame]
image.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Cool stuff. I like it.

Sponsored

greg hazlett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport
I have found the automatics are prone to droan more than the manuals so you may want to test it on an auto before declaring victory...:)

OP
OP
Anthony@HTM

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
I have found the automatics are prone to droan more than the manuals so you may want to test it on an auto before declaring victory...:)
Interesting, cruising at 60-80mph in 6th didn't have a hint of droan. At least for our first built from scratch exhaust, I consider it a victory.

greg hazlett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport
I have found the auto's in previous mustangs droaned in the 45-55 range, hopefully not the case with yours!

OP
OP
Anthony@HTM

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
I have found the auto's in previous mustangs droaned in the 45-55 range, hopefully not the case with yours!
Absolutely not in my case. I am very impressed with it, it has exceeded my expectations by a large margin.

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
Please explain how the transmission influences exhaust sound.

I'm assuming you're talking about steady state cruising?

Sponsored

greg hazlett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport
Yes; the gear ratio's being different in the tranny's play a large part as well. The 5R55 in the 2005-2010's were horrible for droan with the can style exhausts like the stinger/ford racing/rousch's in the 45-55 mph range. The 3650's did not have this issue.

Not as bad but still there in the 6R80 but not in the MT82.

Evil87GN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY EB auto
That sounds really good for a single 3", but I bet if you go to a catless downpipe, that thing will drone like crazy. I had a 3" ATR Single Shot exhaust on my '87 GN, and good god it drove me nuts with a low resonant drone..lol. Maybe a 3" resonator, then the muffler, would make it very mellow catless.

OP
OP
Anthony@HTM

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
That sounds really good for a single 3", but I bet if you go to a catless downpipe, that thing will drone like crazy. I had a 3" ATR Single Shot exhaust on my '87 GN, and good god it drove me nuts with a low resonant drone..lol. Maybe a 3" resonator, then the muffler, would make it very mellow catless.
It might.

This essentially is a prototype. This will eventually be a 3 piece unit, with swappable parts someday.

However it is nice to see that the sound at cruise is nice and quiet. There will be many ecoboost owners who don't want to tune their mustang and therefore will want a catback only.

A resonator where the suitcase was can and will help with droan if it becomes and issue.

Thank you for the insight! :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.