Sponsored

Curious on peoples thoughts

J_MENIS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Before this turns into to every other post and V8 guys say get a real car and eco guys say "I saved more money and could still go faster". Im just curious to see what people think. First I was wondering how much WHP a 15 Gt makes and if an eco was to be around the same WHP, but given the torque it makes with just on a tune alone, would it feel like the faster car? I mean yeah common sense when it comes to numbers, but I want to see what people think. Does that V8 really make that much of a difference if WHP rating is around the same but torque may be slightly higher in the eco
Sponsored

GuardGT

is currently pooping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crimson GT 10r80
please keep in mind that dyno numbers are literally just that...numbers. bone stock gts make 380-390ish rwhp on average. if you want to "read" a dyno then power delivery through useable rpm range has a lot more to do with how the car moves rather than peak #s. take a look at the fastest bolt on gt guys vs the fastest EB guys. 11s are possible on tune/exhaust GTs. im not really sure about the EB.

*edit*
im editing this instead of adding another post. you asked for feel, and im not sure what you mean by feel ...like seat of the pants? driver experience? because a 4 cylinder will never sound anything like a v8, and that's all part of the "feel", to me. a faster car will always be a faster car, doesn't matter what powerplant. but personally, I bought a mustang, so I got a v8. my v8 can make 700rwhp with bolt ons. I feel as though buying an eco, and doing bolt ons to make it equal a STOCK v8 seems like you are starting in a hole, unless that power level is you ultimate goal, and you like the benefits of the eco. please don't think im bashing the eco, you just left this very open and im covering my bases, as a v8 owner.

Last edited:

murphy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
There are many EB owners on here running in the 11's with bolt ons and a tune.
OP, go to your local dealership, tell them you're having buyer's remorse and you're very interested in a GT. Keep it over night. Drive it around and have fun with it. Come morning you'll take it back to that dealership and say yeah nevermind, I'll keep what I have. I did this very same thing and was happy to have my little 4 banger back. With your mods and Adam's tune, your EB "feels" more powerful and faster than a stock GT. So IMO to answer your question, yes a MODDED EB with similar numbers to a STOCK GT feels more powerful.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Before this turns into to every other post and V8 guys say get a real car and eco guys say "I saved more money and could still go faster". Im just curious to see what people think. First I was wondering how much WHP a 15 Gt makes and if an eco was to be around the same WHP, but given the torque it makes with just on a tune alone, would it feel like the faster car? I mean yeah common sense when it comes to numbers, but I want to see what people think. Does that V8 really make that much of a difference if WHP rating is around the same but torque may be slightly higher in the eco
Not really a certain what exact question you are looking to get answered here. Are you saying "If I got an ECO and a tune to put it in around the same HP range as the GT, would it feel the same as the GT, slightly less exciting or slightly more?"

The V8 is more or less an instant source of on demand torque. The main thing that I did not like about the eco personally was that it was more Jekyll and Hyde, where with a little throttle it drives like a 4cyl would be expected to and when the turbo spools up it takes off. To me, that is more of a rubber band effect than a predictable, linear power delivery that you get from the V8. When going up a slight hill (and trying to baby it) it felt like it could barely hold speed in a higher gear until the turbo spooled up, then it had plenty of available power.

With the turbo it could/would (again, IMO) be a little more exciting butt-dyno wise that you get so much extra feel when the turbo kicks in, but it was not for me personally. Those with tuned turbos can comment if I am off my rocker in my perceptions. :)

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Loud exhaust = fast car

:lol: instigator

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Perception of fast is very different from numbers.
My RX-8 revved to 9000 rpm and you feel like you are flying down the street but when you look at the dash, it says 45.
Same thing a GT PP with 3.75 gear would feel a lot faster than a GT with 3.55 gear because how fast the rpm is climbing.

Martman GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT Premium
Just remember this. There's no replacement for displacement. PERIOD! :headbang:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Turbo 4 bangers can be a ton of fun with a few mods. You dont need to make excuses for the EB.

Going aftermarket for a louder exhaust and switching to some type of vent-to-atmosphere BOV can give it a very satisfying sound. V8s sound awesome in their own way, but the ecoboost can be rewarding too.

Horsepower isnt the only factor. The EB is lighter in the front too and may feel more nimble. With power mods, the EB develops serious low end torque where the V8 has the advantage at high RPM power.

It really doesnt matter which is faster in the end, as the power delivery curves are so different it may come down to personal preference. The EB with power mods will be a worthy performer.

Sponsored

ronv95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Just remember this. There's no replacement for displacement. PERIOD! :headbang:
Probably why your name is Martman and not Smartman...cause smart you are not.

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
V8 Power = Mustang,4 Banger, = wanna be a real Mustang,+ when you hear a 4 Banger Mustang run, it sounds like a lawn tractor.:amen:

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Test drive both and see what makes you happy. You can probably get power levels combined with the reduced weight of the eco boost that will feel similar to a tuned gt but keep in mind a tune on an eco boost is upping the boost on the turbo's. That increases stress and gives more opportunity for failure. Not saying it will but if you are looking to modify I see the eco boost being the more risky venture for engine longevity.

Just my two cents

OP
OP
J_MENIS

J_MENIS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Turbo 4 bangers can be a ton of fun with a few mods. You dont need to make excuses for the EB.

Going aftermarket for a louder exhaust and switching to some type of vent-to-atmosphere BOV can give it a very satisfying sound. V8s sound awesome in their own way, but the ecoboost can be rewarding too.

Horsepower isnt the only factor. The EB is lighter in the front too and may feel more nimble. With power mods, the EB develops serious low end torque where the V8 has the advantage at high RPM power.

It really doesnt matter which is faster in the end, as the power delivery curves are so different it may come down to personal preference. The EB with power mods will be a worthy performer.

I love my Eco and as a student it is very economical, since I live in a big city and 80% of my driving is city street with a stop light on almost every block. But you say how the power is delivered throughout the power band and I find that interesting. Because my sister had a twin turbo 328i, and I felt the power thoughout the band and including up top when I'm dropping gears on the freeway and pushing it. Given it was a 8 speed auto, the feel of the car felt like I was flying and I actually was going pretty fast. But for the Eco if it had a twin scroll big turbo swap, would it essentially have that low end jump that it already has and as well as a nice high rmp push. Making it overall faster and better all around ? Other than the lack of engine noise and the safe feeling knowing it's a reliable motor. Because ik if a car puts down the power better than even if it has a little less power it can overall be faster. So does the fact that the car is turbo handicap it's power band vs a NA

bay584

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
If I lived in a less urban environment, I would definitely buy the GT. But since its all freeways and surface streets, the Ecoboost makes the most sense to me.

Different strokes for different folks.
Sponsored