Creepy copper

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
So, my trip to Anaheim the other night was interesting. In addition to almost getting sideswiped and appreciating my Mustang's performance, I was also close to being a victim of mistaken identity.

As we were driving back, at about 10:30pm, we were on the I-5 and a black, modded Mustang GT with a large rear spoiler went ripping past us. The guy was driving pretty aggressively and cut off a few people, and probably had been doing so for a few miles.

A couple of miles down the road, a CHP car pulls up behind me. He follows me for a mile or so and then pulls up next to me and shadows me for another mile or so. I was and had been driving at the speed limit, so no worries there. He then pulls back behind me and follows me for a couple of miles before finally pulling away and accelerating ahead. No doubt he was running my plates.

I'm fairly certain that he thought I might be the other Mustang. Mine is black with a spoiler, and so it fit the general description. I'm sure there's not much he could do without catching me in the act, but I wouldn't have been surprised to get pulled over.

Then again, he probably looked at me and my wife and thought we're probably too old and boring to have been guilty of the other guy's level of reckless driving. Which, in a weird way, makes me feel old and boring.
Sponsored

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I rather come off as old & boring than get pulled over & harassed. As a youth it would get old always getting pulled over in my Rsx type S or Jetta Vr6. Got a few tickets just for loud exhaust at the same time some guy passes by in a obnoxiously loud Harley & somehow that was ok. Now they just look at me & look away.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I rather come off as old & boring than get pulled over & harassed. As a youth it would get old always getting pulled over in my Rsx type S or Jetta Vr6. Got a few tickets just for loud exhaust at the same time some guy passes by in a obnoxiously loud Harley & somehow that was ok. Now they just look at me & look away.
Harleys, for any number of reasons, almost always get a noise pass from cops. Itā€™s just a fact that I proved to myself time after time over the years. Just donā€™t intentionally hoss it in front of a cop and youā€™re good to go.

Sponsored

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Harleys, for any number of reasons, almost always get a noise pass from cops. Itā€™s just a fact that I proved to myself time after time over the years. Just donā€™t intentionally hoss it in front of a cop and youā€™re good to go.
Yeah I never understood why. Even the crotch rockets get a pass.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
My wife's been lobbying for one for both our vehicles. She's not wrong. My only problem with them is the need to take them out every time we leave the vehicle to avoid tempting thieves.
The high end 2 channel ones fit in the mustangs dash sunglasses pocket, unplug cam, and put in draw. get in car, put cam in holder, plug in, and good to go. as long as you run the wiring so it isn't easy to tell something is normally there, should be good.

Diesel Diver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible PP1 Royal Crimson
Only thing with a dash cam, make sure you get one that has the built in GPS. A lot of the cheaper ones do not. This tags your speed on the bottom of the playback.

thompsje

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Only thing with a dash cam, make sure you get one that has the built in GPS. A lot of the cheaper ones do not. This tags your speed on the bottom of the playback.
This is a bit of a contentious subject. Unless you plan on slavishly following the speed limit everywhere, or unplugging the cam on highway trips, etc... That GPS reading is more evidence that can be used against you.

E.g. Somebody may have pulled out on front of you, but you were doing 44mph in a 40. That's just the kind of info you don't want readily available to either insurance company.

I wouldn't get one with GPS, but to each their own.

Sponsored

Diesel Diver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible PP1 Royal Crimson
True but the OP was being stalked by a cop so to prove it was not him it would need the speed , would it not? But yes play time turn it off

thompsje

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
True but the OP was being stalked by a cop so to prove it was not him it would need the speed , would it not? But yes play time turn it off
He would have just had the other Mustang on video to prove there was at least a second one matching the description. Obviously not iron clad, but shows that complaint was most likely against somebody else. Like I said, I wouldn't have one but everybody can follow their own gut on it.

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
So Im not sure where the creepy copper part comes in?
Just trying to make a funny thread title without spending a bunch of time on it. And, maybe "creepy" is the wrong word, but it was uncomfortable being checked out that way.

Finally21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 Race Red
So, my trip to Anaheim the other night was interesting. In addition to almost getting sideswiped and appreciating my Mustang's performance, I was also close to being a victim of mistaken identity.

As we were driving back, at about 10:30pm, we were on the I-5 and a black, modded Mustang GT with a large rear spoiler went ripping past us. The guy was driving pretty aggressively and cut off a few people, and probably had been doing so for a few miles.

A couple of miles down the road, a CHP car pulls up behind me. He follows me for a mile or so and then pulls up next to me and shadows me for another mile or so. I was and had been driving at the speed limit, so no worries there. He then pulls back behind me and follows me for a couple of miles before finally pulling away and accelerating ahead. No doubt he was running my plates.

I'm fairly certain that he thought I might be the other Mustang. Mine is black with a spoiler, and so it fit the general description. I'm sure there's not much he could do without catching me in the act, but I wouldn't have been surprised to get pulled over.

Then again, he probably looked at me and my wife and thought we're probably too old and boring to have been guilty of the other guy's level of reckless driving. Which, in a weird way, makes me feel old and boring.
The erratic driver was probably reported, based on the information given to the cops he/she was probably trying to determine if you and your car matched the information given. Or, maybe he/she was a Mustang fan and was checking out your car.
Sponsored