Sponsored

Gen 1 Copperhead ECU 15-17 compatibility??

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
You’re not converting your Tesla over to a Coyote are you?
ha! You caught me.... 6 speed manual and everything.

haha no just looking for a project car and want to do something with the 4v I have sitting in the garage.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
ha! You caught me.... 6 speed manual and everything.

haha no just looking for a project car and want to do something with the 4v I have sitting in the garage.
LOL!! You always seem to have something cool going on and have contributed quite a bit to this forum - so you got me curious... ha!

There is this older thread inquiring about 2001 to 2016 compatibility:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/tuning-for-2016-5-0-in-2011-mustang-copperhead-ecu.69910/

and I don’t know if anything in this thread will help you, but I had posted some Copperhead info a while back:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/copperhead-coyote’s-electronic-control-system.148798/

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
This may help:

Yea that is the copperhead ECU. The copperhead has OEM support for older mod motors due to the GT500. GT500's from 2007-2013 used the 5.4 and 5.8. These are essentially identical to the 4.6 4V in terms of operation. Just simply longer stroke/taller deck height. The key is whether or not a Gen 2 PCM can use a copperhead tune file or not. If it can, I am good to go with my project. If it can't, then the Gen 2 would have to support some form of wasted spark configuration in order to eliminate the cam sensor issue. If that is not possible, the only other way to do this project would be either a dual ECU situation (usually never works right and will have always on CELs at best) or completely replace the ECU with an aftermarket solution such as a Motec that has support for the S550's CAN network. The Motec ECUs are EXPENSIVE though so I would prefer to stay away from that option.

AceS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ace
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Typically ignition systems operate based on the crankshaft position signal. The camshaft position signal on the other hand is used for fuel injector timing.

During starting, the ignition system will fire the spark plugs in a waste spark pattern. Once the engine turns enough for the PCM to recognize the camshaft position (this identifies what stroke each cylinder is on) the ignition system changes to individual spark operation.

If a gen 2 coyote/S550 copperhead PCM won’t work with the older modular single tooth camshaft trigger, you may need a custom camshaft trigger wheel that duplicates the coyote camshaft trigger wheel tooth count.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Typically ignition systems operate based on the crankshaft position signal. The camshaft position signal on the other hand is used for fuel injector timing.

During starting, the ignition system will fire the spark plugs in a waste spark pattern. Once the engine turns enough for the PCM to recognize the camshaft position (this identifies what stroke each cylinder is on) the ignition system changes to individual spark operation.

If a gen 2 coyote/S550 copperhead PCM won’t work with the older modular single tooth camshaft trigger, you may need a custom camshaft trigger wheel that duplicates the coyote camshaft trigger wheel tooth count.
Right. Problem there though is that I can find no information online about what the cam trigger wheels relate to on the coyote. Do the teeth relate to valve events or something else? If they relate to valve events then which ones, etc.... I don’t have a coyote on hand to be able to figure this out. I might be able to source a set of stock cams though to see. If I can figure that out, then I should be able to make trigger wheels that will fit on the 4.6 and then the problem is solved. As far as the computer would be concerned, it’s running a coyote without VCT.
Sponsored