Cracked/broken mt82 flywheel

Ma5koff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt e85 fbo
Did a first and second gear pull only to about 5800-6000rpms and as soon as I try to hit third it locked me out before going in. Now it sounds like a very fast tick coming from either the back of the block or the front of the trans. It makes me think that it’s the flywheel and clutch. It requires me to give a good amount of force to get it into gear now and won’t even let me go into reverse with the car on. Any idea what this could be?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ma5koff

Ma5koff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt e85 fbo
Did a first and second gear pull only to about 5800-6000rpms and as soon as I try to hit third it locked me out before going in. Now it sounds like a very fast tick coming from either the back of the block or the front of the trans. It makes me think that it’s the flywheel and clutch. It requires me to give a good amount of force to get it into gear now and won’t even let me go into reverse with the car on. Any idea what this could be?
Video of the sounds

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Most likely clutch disc is damaged or broke apart. It's very rare to bust a flywheel. I don't think it's a shift fork issue because that was prevalent in the 2018's and remedied by Ford with better forks.

You have a 2020, if it's not tuned, take it in and let them diagnose it. There are plenty of threads on here with premature failed clutch discs.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
And I'd say with the car running, don't keep forcing it. Damage is linear and equal to forces applied.

ouch

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ma5koff

Ma5koff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt e85 fbo
Most likely clutch disc is damaged or broke apart. It's very rare to bust a flywheel. I don't think it's a shift fork issue because that was prevalent in the 2018's and remedied by Ford with better forks.

You have a 2020, if it's not tuned, take it in and let them diagnose it. There are plenty of threads on here with premature failed clutch discs.
Thanks for the input unfortunately for me it’s tuned on e :( but if my hunch was right I was just going to get a twin disk clutch with a new flywheel

Sponsored

R6maddor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Raymund
Vehicle(s)
2004 Suzuki XL7 - 2019 Mustang GT
Hey man, did you ever figure out what was the issue? I have a somewhat similar sound coming from my gt. Tried to do a 2 -3 pull then all of a sudden i couldnt put in gear. Car now has a violent vibration/shake when i drive over 1500 rpm. I can still go through all the gears but now it takes a lot more force. Was it just the clutch or something else? Thanks.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Could be damaged pressure plate or clutch disc. I don't think its the flywheel.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
@Ma5koff
This may be your problem - I forgot about this thread but recently came across it again. Your issue sounds similar:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...clutch-trans-issue.162727/page-2#post-3324641

OP
OP
Ma5koff

Ma5koff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt e85 fbo
Hey man, did you ever figure out what was the issue? I have a somewhat similar sound coming from my gt. Tried to do a 2 -3 pull then all of a sudden i couldnt put in gear. Car now has a violent vibration/shake when i drive over 1500 rpm. I can still go through all the gears but now it takes a lot more force. Was it just the clutch or something else? Thanks.
Haven’t taken it in yet to see the full damage but check the link that cobra jet posted that’s a pretty good thread

R6maddor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Raymund
Vehicle(s)
Haven’t taken it in yet to see the full damage but check the link that cobra jet posted that’s a pretty good thread
Thanks for the reply. I'll check over the thread cobra jet posted. I'm just hoping there's no engine damage that could have occurred. I'll be taking my car to ford to have them diagnose it. I wish it's just the clutch and flywheel. I'll post what ford says just in case someone else has the same problem as us.

Sponsored

R6maddor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Raymund
Vehicle(s)
Hello all,
So my brother brought my car to ford, and they said there was a few problems. So the harsh vibration at 1500rpm i complained about was due to the flywheel being warped. I guess i was driving way too hard. They said they needed to replace the clutch and flywheel. Another thing, i guess the dampener for the transmission blew off or something cause they said they couldnt find it. As for the rapid ticking im not too sure as i forgot to ask, but i will be going there to check the pictures they took, and ask if the tick was caused by the clutch. They said it was going to cost around 2200 to replace clutch, flywheel and dampener and around 1k to change if i brought the parts, does that sound reasonable? Im going to check other shops but i just want to know what others might have paid. Hopes this helps others.

OP
OP
Ma5koff

Ma5koff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt e85 fbo
I would suggest the route I’m taking and get a twin disk clutch if you plan on adding more power down the road. Unless you plan on keeping the warranty on the trans. I got a quote for a clutch install at paramount speed here in Fort Worth Texas they said 500 for labor and the twin disk is 1500 with a flywheel so all and all maybe 2200 with misc parts added on.

R6maddor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Raymund
Vehicle(s)
I would suggest the route I’m taking and get a twin disk clutch if you plan on adding more power down the road. Unless you plan on keeping the warranty on the trans. I got a quote for a clutch install at paramount speed here in Fort Worth Texas they said 500 for labor and the twin disk is 1500 with a flywheel so all and all maybe 2200 with misc parts added on.
Thanks man. I will be changing to an aftermarket clutch. Hopefully this time, the clutch could handle somewhat stock power levels. I just wish i lived in dallas so i could get that $500 labor fee.

OP
OP
Ma5koff

Ma5koff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt e85 fbo
Sure enough it was the clutch/flywheel just added a few photos for anyone in the future having this issue

A26858BE-A5BF-4371-AF69-5CB9BDE613DF.jpeg

ABFFA8B3-1A43-40D9-9478-B1697BA5C397.jpeg
Sponsored