Sponsored

COTA 2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP Edge Addicts 5/22 Track Day #1! (video)

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
  • Banned
Ride along in a 760hp 2020 Shelby GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Pack in the advanced red group with Edge Addicts at the iconic Circuit Of The Americas track in Austin Texas! Footage is captured from 7 camera locations including a chase car as well as a GoPro 360 Max that provides a unique panning experience on track! It was a HOT day in Texas with temps north of 100. The car was plagued with transmission over-temp issues in all but the first session. The second issue for the day was a horrible vibration with one of the Hoosier tires that began after the first session. A mid day break and a trip to a local small tire shop did not get resolution. Despite the vibration and shorter sessions due to trans temps, it was still an absolutely amazing day! I hope you enjoy!

Sponsored

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
What is being done to remedy the trans temp issue? Thought our cars were bulletproof with temp issues?

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I saw a GT500 this last Sunday at COTA and he overheated and went into limp mode after a few laps. I was told he was running a smaller pulley as well.

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP
What is being done to remedy the trans temp issue? Thought our cars were bulletproof with temp issues?
Iā€™ve never had a temp issue at COTA even on 100+ days. Wonder with all his track time the trans cooler radiator is getting blocked with rubber?
There isnā€™t an easy way to clean it out unless you remove some coverings and blow it out. Havenā€™t tried to do that yet.
But do see a lot of junk laying on the intercooler radiator.

C51CF616-37EC-47A8-B46A-81641EA706C5.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I saw a GT500 this last Sunday at COTA and he overheated and went into limp mode after a few laps. I was told he was running a smaller pulley as well.
I did some maintenance after this weekend, which didnā€™t solve the problem. I then hit the dealer for warranty work (I am stock), but havenā€™t had a chance to drive/test the car so Iā€™ll hold off on what I did until I know the results.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did some maintenance after this weekend, which didnā€™t solve the problem. I then hit the dealer for warranty work (I am stock), but havenā€™t had a chance to drive/test the car so Iā€™ll hold off on what I did until I know the results.
Have you changed the side filter on the DCT lately?
I have changed mine twice so far. Not that it looked bad. But the C8 guys are changing theirs all the time as they are having some issues. However, their diff is part of the DCT and shares the same fluid which has to be stressing the fluid and creating more particles to be collected in the side filter.

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
A bone stock gt500 should not have overheating issuesā€¦engine, tranny, rear. Something must be up with Gooseā€™s tranny.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On the back straight, you can watch the intercooler temp climb quickly in stock form. If running more boost, I canā€™t imagine how hot it must get.

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hereā€™s one hot day back in the garage at COTA. Note the ambient is 97* while the diff and trans temps are good. The intercooler is dropping below 125*. But it was nearing 175* on the back straight.
CA9FE730-7A9A-4411-BA07-A5D0FAE1D117.jpeg

Adding more boost w/o a larger intercooler is asking for trouble.

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like this would be a way for Ford to make lemonade with lemons-increase the intercooler capacity and add a little more boost for the next version of the gt500 :)

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Did you have the issue prior to taking the overland route and hitting the drink?
I wonder if some underlying issue came from that?

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Ride along in a 760hp 2020 Shelby GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Pack in the advanced red group with Edge Addicts at the iconic Circuit Of The Americas track in Austin Texas! Footage is captured from 7 camera locations including a chase car as well as a GoPro 360 Max that provides a unique panning experience on track! It was a HOT day in Texas with temps north of 100. The car was plagued with transmission over-temp issues in all but the first session. The second issue for the day was a horrible vibration with one of the Hoosier tires that began after the first session. A mid day break and a trip to a local small tire shop did not get resolution. Despite the vibration and shorter sessions due to trans temps, it was still an absolutely amazing day! I hope you enjoy!

Quality video as usual. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Did you have the issue prior to taking the overland route and hitting the drink?
I wonder if some underlying issue came from that?
No I didnā€™t. I did have a track day after that without heat issues though. However, it was much cooler outside and was at Ozarks, which is a much more technical track (not standing on the gas pedal all day).

Inspection of all the lines/bottom of the trans looks good. The bottom closeout panel protects a lot of that.

Also of note, I had horrible vibration from one of my Hoosiers this day. My initial thoughts were it might have been relatedā€¦ either stirring up or something like frothing the trans fluid.

Like I said above. Iā€™ve done and had done a couple things after this weekend. I just donā€™t know the results yetā€¦ havenā€™t had a chance to test it yet.
Sponsored