2016 Guard EB PP base
Get headers bro
Sponsored

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
To be objective, this is something that can be measured, typically on your property line...if it's above the levels stated in the ordinance (58dBA in Houston), they you're "legally" out of luck.

Honestly, nobody ever enforces this law here...just saying!

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
From her perspective, if you are waking up her kids, dogs, etc, she has a valid complaint. When I stayed at my brother's house for a week last year, his neighbor started his ridiculously loud truck every morning at 6am and woke me up everyday. I was not happy.
Having been in the motorcycle business for about 30 years, I can assure you that if the system is not dB legal you will lose this fight if she/cops want to pursue it.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The noise ordinance is always subjective...can a neighbor complain that your lawn mower is too loud? Yeah, but the cops won't do crap about it unless you're mowing your lawn at 3 AM lol.

You can also petition your other neighbors for their input. Be an adult about it and ask them if they are bothered by your car. First of all it shows that you care about their well-being and secondly if they say "no" then the other neighbor is just a sensitive snowflake and the cops will probably ask that person to suck it up.

CentralVA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD !!!!
Not true if they use a DB meter and have an ordinance set in place. I love internet lawyers ;)

The noise ordinance is always subjective...can a neighbor complain that your lawn mower is too loud? Yeah, but the cops won't do crap about it unless you're mowing your lawn at 3 AM lol.

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So my doorbell rings at 6 am this morning and a cop is at my door. He said my neighbor has been calling them complaining that I'm revving my car in the mornings (WRONG) and disturbing her household. I have roush mufflers and a x-pipe. No one would disagree that this setup is loud ...
what time do you normally depart for work? If some one is complaining they are probably getting woke up.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
anddddd another reason to have a dash cam, you can show the cop that you werent blasting down the street

AdrianMAK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.makperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY Mustang GT Premium
Add a set of MAK Cat Deletes to solve this issue lol.

On a serious note, If the neighbor seems cool talk to them about it, explain that is the nature of the car on cold start-up, you are not doing it intentionally. Ask if they are being woken up, kids being bothered, etc...Knowing their exact complaint may provide a very simple solution.

Secondly, can you park your car elsewhere(Otherside of the garage, side of house, etc)? Did you know that on cold start if you tap the gas briefly it will take the car out of fast idle and reduce the exhaust noise level by a good bit. Dealing with PITA neighbors is horrible, no one wants to be uncomfortable in their own home because they fear a neighbor.

If the neighbor is a rude or unwiling to speak to you to solve the issue. I would pick something, anything that they may do that bothers you and have them get paid a visit. I doubt that it will take more than one for them to get the point. Some people are extremely envious and have nothing better to do with their time than to make other people as miserable as them.

Good Luck!

Sponsored

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
I love the sound my car makes on a cold start.. but it is pretty damn loud and I'm in close proximity to neighbors and I drive off at odd times due to my work schedule.. I stopped using the remote start feature and letting the car idle, now I start the car and immediately put it into gear, makes much less noise.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
So she called the cops without talking to you first? What a bitch. I wouldn't change a thing in your daily routine, screw her. She should have spoken to you like an adult before throwing a fit like a child and getting the police get involved.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
There's some seriously bad advice being tossed around this thread.

Contact the police and determine what the legal situation is before doing anything else. If there is a noise limit, or other situation like that, ask for a police officer to come over and do a voluntary DB check. If everything passes muster and you're in the clear, THEN tell your neighbor to stuff it if they keep complaining.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.